30 Day Shred: Am I the only one who keeps stopping

Options
Not stopping as in stopping for a day... stopping as in, I am failing to find the motivation to push myself through each 20 minutes (and I'm only on Day 2). I don't stop for real long periods of time, but long enough that my heart rate is dropping, which completely defeats the purpose. I have a million excuses and I just don't seem to want this badly enough.

The strength training is ok, I feel like I could do 20 minutes of just that, perhaps with the exception of reverse crunches, which hurt my tailbone (guess I need a mat or towel, although my floor is carpeted). The cardio feels like it's killing me. I have no idea what to tell myself to push through. I also don't have any good workout shoes - yesterday tried barefoot, which wasn't too bad, and thought today I'd try with some really old Vans I have... which apparently was not a good idea since my feet started hurting. I guess tomorrow I'll go get some good shoes.

Meanwhile I've been proud of myself for keeping my calories eaten under target. I always though eating less would be a harder challenge for me than working out, but apparently it is the opposite. So disappointing.

I really admire those 400 lb people doing the jumping jacks... I am half that and I just keep giving up.

Maybe admitting to everyone here how lazy and unmotivated I am being with this will help get me some motivation. Go ahead and be mean, maybe I need negative motivation more than positive.

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I havent started 30 ds because I am afraid of the same thing happening.
  • Jonese84
    Jonese84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is hard to do something that is different in the first place. Exercising is even harder because it takes time out of your day and it isn't fun! Turn on some music that you enjoy when you exercise. It helps! And just remember you are helping your heart health as well as your total body and mind health!!! Hang in there. Keep pushing!!!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It will get better, I promise. I have 7 of Jillian's videos and I started out at the beginning of 30DS just like you. I've progressed to the highest level on all of them after about 3 months of rotating them (I do a different video each day, I have boredom issues :laugh: )

Anyways, I am in great shape now, but I STILL find myself stopping to take a break sometimes. I can run 5 freaking miles straight but I can't completely do a JM video. They are tough, and it WILL get better.

Hang in there! The results will amaze you and you will be SO glad you did it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and stop whining.

(was that good enough?)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    The first 3 days I paused in between each of the 3 sets. I stopped because my HR was getting over 180 and my head was pounding and I was dizzy. I only let my HR get down to around 140 before I started again.

It doesn't defeat the purpose as long as you do it. You'll eventually get to the point where you don't need to pause it
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    STOP - don't hurt your tailbone! Swap out some standing stomach exercises for crunches! and It all counts but if you dislike it then find something more fun to do.

Maybe kicking taeboe style? or dancing?

I found this for you:flowerforyou:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/standing-ab-workout
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just push yourself through it at your own pace. As long as out through the workout you should be proud. As the days go on you will see yourself slowly being able to do more and more. I am on level 2 day 6 and have to talk myself into doing it everyday. I hate it but also I have seen alot of results and I am just following the beginner moves. The first 3 days killed me and I was sooo sore but it got easier. Then i switched to level 2 and was soo tired and sore for the first 3 days again. Just go at your own rate and pace and modify it as much as you need to. Just push yourself through the 30 minutes. Dont give up it will get easier I promise.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was good when I first started it Jan 23--but I've since slacked off. What kept me motivated honestly, was KEEPING the DVD in my laptop vs my dvd because I check CNN.COM every morning--and if I have Jillian Michaels starring me down I am like Okay-- I find level 2 to be easier than level 1-- go figure--perhaps bc I am using more lower body moves in Level 2--
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was going to die the first time I did 30DS and I was 135 lbs at the time and not at all out of shape. Some of those weight/lower body combos she throws at you are killer and all the jumping in the cardio section killed my calves. I've never made it past the first week.

You could keep going and do your best, but I would also try out other videos and different exercises you can do. It's easier to stay motivated when you're doing something you enjoy and not forcing yourself and feeling bad.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They are really tough but if you keep pushing through they do get easier. The first time I tried 30DS, I had to stop several times, but by the 4th or 5th day I was able to make it all the way through.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    if you find that you don't want to do it, it sounds like it's not your soulmate workout.

your soulmate workout will be something that you get up and do, because you love it.

Obviously you don't love 30ds.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do it barefoot and always have - there's lots of research to show that barefoot exercise can be really beneficial.

I stop if I need to pee.
  • AnneH1977
    AnneH1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if you find that you don't want to do it, it sounds like it's not your soulmate workout.

your soulmate workout will be something that you get up and do, because you love it.

Obviously you don't love 30ds.

This is so true!
  • NKolhar
    NKolhar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just because you can't keep up with it on day 1 does not mean you can't keep it up for ever . Your body is going from a sedentary stage to a active stage where it is forced to push itself which it hasn't done in a while so just like weight loss you can't except immediate results ...instead you slowly build up if you feel like ur not able to keep with the program don't worry just try your best and for the jumping jacks go with your own pace(or any exercise for that matter) and take less rest periods in b/w if you try keeping up with it in the first few days u end up taking longer breaks so go slow and your body will slowly get used to it and eventually you will catch up. Don't feel bad no one is born ready to do this they all work and build up to it so you starting the program is itself a step forward so go slow until u get used to it then ur body will just flow with it good luck and just give it ur best !
  • Sarah_Hipwell
    Sarah_Hipwell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are a must! The cost of them is definitely worth not having to go to physio with a rolled ankle!

If you're having trouble motivating yourself, maybe try a personal trainer? Again the cost is a factor, but having someone there to look at your strengths and weaknesses and tailor a workout just for you is really helpful! Alternatively try to arrange some group exercise so at least other people are suffering with you. Makes it seem a little more worth it. :P

But most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP! Motivation comes and goes, but what will keep you going is HABIT! Get into the habit of doing cardio and you'll just do it automatically.

Good luck! <3
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and stop whining.

(was that good enough?)

YES!! I totally need to be told that. I am like a little kid about this!
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    STOP - don't hurt your tailbone! Swap out some standing stomach exercises for crunches! and It all counts but if you dislike it then find something more fun to do.

Maybe kicking taeboe style? or dancing?

I found this for you:flowerforyou:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/standing-ab-workout

I was thinking of just continuing to do the regular crunches when she switches to reverse crunches. Those I don't have a problem with (well, not a tailbone hurting problem). Crunches I can do without whining. :)
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've done it three times (and I don't mean three days in a row; I mean three times in about a month, because I only do it on rainy days when I can't get outside to walk) and I've had to stop each time. However, on the 3rd time I noticed I didn't stop as often or for as long. To me that's an improvement, so I don't care that I had to stop. Eventually I won't need to, but that day is not today. I know that I'm pushing myself and I'm working hard, so I don't care what Jillian says. It's still WAY better than not doing any exercise at all.
  • I bought 30 day shred a year ago did 5 minutes of it and said screw it.. then today I really did not want to go to the gym and I pulled it out and dusted it off put it in and yes I struggled w the jumping jacks mainly.. ( um i have large breasts and not the right bra) it was killer and i went at my own pace wore my fit bit burned 187 in 20 minutes so i could have done better probably but i did my best I personally wont do it everyday.. like 2 x a week and add other excercises because if u do strength you are suppose to rest a day in between ( I believe) but I will attempt it next week tues and thurs and still go to the gym the other 3 days.. it can't hurt .. and it was a good strength work out.. just go at your own pace.. best of luck:smile:
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, just keep pushing as much as you possibly can and you'll see a huge improvement on day 7 or 8 compared to day 2, promise :) Just make sure your not giving up too early

I just do mine in the house in bare feet.