Coconut oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    google ' the coconut oil miracle' for more information. There is an excerpt from a book with lots of amazing facts!
    Also by googling benefits of coconut oil there is a tonne of info.
    I've been using it for 12 months now.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    It has soooo many great benifits. My parents take it everyday ( 1 tbs) to prevent the onset of Alzheimer. Plus it is great for your skin. My moms face was VERY wrinkled, but she looks 10 yrs younger these days. It is great to cook with too. And the taste is good. I think it is a little expensive, but well worth the benifits.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    google ' the coconut oil miracle' for more information. There is an excerpt from a book with lots of amazing facts!

Info or propaganda?

I'll probably get flamed for this but I tend to prefer health related information to come from real scientists not naturopaths, far too much of the "evidence" is anecdotal and has not been subjected to properly conducted and peer reviewed trials. (I'm not denying the coconut has benefits but it, along with so many other "miracle" foods and supplements are grossly oversold.)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy the idea of "miracle foods" but I know a lot of really rational people who swear by 1Tbsp of coconut oil per day, so who knows... :) I cook with it sometimes, the brand I like is Nature's Promise.
  • RoxannB
    RoxannB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using "Health From The Sun" 100% vegetarian- raw organic virgin unrefined unbleached non-hydrogenated - coconut oil for a few years now. I use it from head to toe everyday. I buy it from a local health food store or I can order it online through the same store.

Coconut oil helps with underarm odor too. I do use a more natural deodorant, but before I apply it, I rub on a little coconut oil first, then after a couple minutes I put deodorant on.

Coconut oil is also great for thickening your hair. About 20 minutes before your shower, put about a quarter size amount on your hand, distribute it through your hair (especially the ends), let it set until your shower. It washes off with your shampoo.

I hope this helps!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just bought Nature's Way EfaGold unrefined extra virgin coconut oil from amazon.com. They have great prices and an overwhelming selection. I haven't cooked with it yet but the back of the jar says it can be heated to 350 degrees.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil. It has a mild coconut taste but I like it.
  • bigredhearts
    Options

Info or propaganda?

I'll probably get flamed for this but I tend to prefer health related information to come from real scientists not naturopaths, far too much of the "evidence" is anecdotal and has not been subjected to properly conducted and peer reviewed trials. (I'm not denying the coconut has benefits but it, along with so many other "miracle" foods and supplements are grossly oversold.)

i get the frustration, however i am in no way expecting this to be some sort of medical miracle. i plan to use it for skin, hair, and small doses to aid in digestion and to help internally. i have seen it on dr. oz and read up on many studies that are available online, and although they cant say what will happen long term, most tend to agree that it is beneficial and in small doses can improve health.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Info or propaganda?

There have been a number of peer reviewed studies. My main reason is not for weight loss but brain health.

I have copied and pasted the info below from another earlier post on coconut oil.

Coconut oil is high calories which helps me meet my calorie goals but it is reputed to help with weight loss due to being a medium chain fatty acid. I must admit I have had no hunger problems so far and I wonder if its the oils I am choosing to add to my diet.

Here is two links on peer reviewed research on this if you are interested -

http://www.ajcn.org/content/37/1/1.short
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.abstract

Just a health link explaining its benefits for laymen -

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/health_products/Gluten_Free_Organic_Health_Food/Coconut-Oil.aspx

Here is another link just on nutrition from an amazing woman. (I love TED talks) Really inspires me to enjoy as much truely healthy food as I can.

Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria
    http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxIowaCity-Dr-Terry-Wahls-Min;search:tag:"tedxiowacity"

Edited to add - I agree everyone should take the effort do the the research from reputable sources there is alot of crackpot sites out there with their own agenda.