Weight loss - cardio v resistance training

Options
124»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for endurance and your heart but is 100% unnecessary to lose weight as all that takes is a modest deficit, which you can get from diet alone, exercise along, or a combination of both.

I consider diet and exercise together as having a synergistic effect. Yes, you can lose through diet alone, but it's a lot easier to lose when you add cardio and strength training to it. Synergy..... :bigsmile:

It is easier with both because you can eat more and have the same deficit, but your body will shed the same amount regardless if you exercise or not, it is all about the deficit for weight loss. For body composition fat vs. lean muscle loss is where strength training comes in.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Great post. I wish I knew this when I started working out. I was doing all cardio. Even when I started P90X I thought there was not enough cardio. So I did not follow the schedule and did more of the cardio work outs instead. I was more concerned about what my HRM said. If I lifted I only burned 200 or so calories. If I did P90 Cardio I burned 500 plus. So to me it was all about the burn. Then I read more and more on MFP about how important lifting was along with many success stories. So I started following the actual schedule which concentrates more on weights than cardio. The inches started melting off even though my "scale" had not moved in 2 months I was losing inches. Now I have completed my first true round of P90X. As an out of shape female I started with 2, 3, 5 and 8 pound weights. Just purchased 10, 12 and 15 pound weights to take it to the next level:) It has made all the difference in the world for me!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I lift and do cardio. There are health and fat loss benefits to both.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    While I agree 100% with everything the OP said I think that cardio is important too. There is no point in being physically "ripped" and in excellent shape if you can not run a mile or climb a set of stairs without breathing heavy.... your heart is important and only cardio trains that.

I think a program of weights 3-5 days a week as well as cardio 2-3x a week is best. Why train every muscle in your body except the one that keeps you alive ?
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I don't think the OP said cardio is not important. I think he point was that when people concentrate on that alone for weight loss that they lose muscle mass.
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bumping this again as some people are still having debates about cardio and strength training. Enjoy.......:smile:
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    bump.... i love this and i need this info.... i have dropped almost 50lbs but lost all my muscle... getting it back is a pain in the *kitten*... i mean in the gym it looks like im a wimp with 30lbs dumbells but i guess i did this to myself by not researching...

but i dont care, you have to start again. At least though, i can see more definition as i lift more as opposed to before.

Don't worry about it - I started lifting 2 weeks ago and a couple of the men at the gym are gently laughing at me because:

a) I struggle to lift some of the weights onto the machines
    b) I can only handle 2 x 4lb dumbells at the moment
    c) The bicep lift bar needs to stay empty or I feel as if my arms are dropping off

However, I stick my chin out and carry on regardless :)

**This is how I feel at the moment. Quite intimidating but hoping i'll get over it. Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • benny150592
    benny150592 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great post! Very educational!
  • skamnorth
    skamnorth Posts: 43
    Options
    I do cardio and strength! I have two goals; losing weight (esthetics) and gaining muscle to support my joints, as I have rheumatism (health!)

For people with joint problems, lean muscle mass is worth its weight in gold.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For people with joint problems, lean muscle mass is worth its weight in gold.

So true!

Love the OP - I'm doing less cardio per week and more HIIT, still on light weights (3 pounds) but results are visible!
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    Bump
  • jcr382002
    jcr382002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been focusing on cardio but will now add weight training into the mix. I have been using this ap for a month now. I've, for the most part, have kept my carbs/calories/fat in check (daily goals) and walked about 3 miles per day. I've lost only 2 lbs and clothes fit the same. I'm extremely frustrated and angry that my body is being so resistant. I'm going to adjust my food goals today. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Lose fat two weeks

Body comp two weeks

Been doing that for a long time

It works. Gotta add or save muscle. It is the machine that burns calories and gives you shape.

Muscle is king