My invisible flat stomach

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered that having a completely flat stomach means absolutely nothing? You look great, but you're chasing an image that isn't realistic (or ideal) for everyone.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    If you aren't willing to change what needs to be changed you can always get a tummy tuck.

(edit)assuming that's your picture you do look fantastic)

Why would i have gone to all of this effort to start getting myself into shape then just take the easy option and get a tummy tuck when things get tough? Sorry but that is ridiculous. And i never said i'm not willing to change, all i've said is i dont want to give up everything that i like eating.
  • Jade17694
    Options
    Have you ever considered that having a completely flat stomach means absolutely nothing? You look great, but you're chasing an image that isn't realistic (or ideal) for everyone.

I'm not chasing anything of the sort. When i say flat stomach i don't mean supermodel flat, i mean no podge.
  • Jade17694
    Options

I can give you the keys. I'm not blunt Jade, I'm just not telling you what you want to hear. I don't wish to come across as abrasive and I'm sorry if you feel that. I can get the results, all my guys and gals get the results.

Not at all, it's not a bad thing when i say you're blunt. I mean you say what needs to be said when other people are probably afraid to. Anyway, what are the keys? :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

There is actually truth in this.

Having a flat belly means you only have a flat belly.

It won't make you happier person - just a person with a belly and maybe ab's! :bigsmile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    You probably have what i have. A flat tummy but loose skin giving the same appears as if it was fat. Keep strengthening your core but try focusing on more oblique exercises. People tend to forget to work those muscles. Keep eating clean foods and you will start to notice change. Beware, it does take a long time.

Why do oblique exercises? Do you want to appear wider?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    With respect to the diet suggestion made in this thread, are you talking about reaching certain macros or are you referring to completely (or mostly) eliminating certain foods?
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i think your belly looks amazing. i have had four kids and have no hope of ever having a flat belly w/o surgery. dont be to hard on yourself, you look great. :wink:
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You're body doesn't get used to exercise. Why would it?

Uh yes it does. Your body gets used to a certain exercise and it stops being as effective for weight loss. It's why you need to change it up so often.

Really. Care to explain how that works? I use the same week in, week out, so do my guys.

The only reason to change things up is if your muscle grows and needs greater stresses to break it down which may involve a greater pace, not a change of machinery/equipment..
    I'm complaining because i'm sick of working hard and not getting the results i want.

I can give you the keys. I'm not blunt Jade, I'm just not telling you what you want to hear. I don't wish to come across as abrasive and I'm sorry if you feel that. I can get the results, all my guys and gals get the results.

Well if you run a mile every day, the first time you do it, it will be hard. The 50th time you do it, it will be a breeze because your body got stronger. The same exercises don't provide the same challenge once you've gotten strong enough to do them...
  • Jade17694
    Options

There is actually truth in this.

Having a flat belly means you only have a flat belly.

It won't make you happier person - just a person with a belly and maybe ab's! :bigsmile:

It will make me happy for the pure fact i know i've worked my *kitten* off for it and deserve it :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Uh yes it does. Your body gets used to a certain exercise and it stops being as effective for weight loss. It's why you need to change it up so often.

It isn't really that your body got used to the exercise, it's that it got more proficient at it. Doing another exercise of the same intesity might use different muscles, but it won't burn more calories. To burn more calories you need to increase intesity.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    You probably have what i have. A flat tummy but loose skin giving the same appears as if it was fat. Keep strengthening your core but try focusing on more oblique exercises. People tend to forget to work those muscles. Keep eating clean foods and you will start to notice change. Beware, it does take a long time.

Why do oblique exercises? Do you want to appear wider?

Matt, I have a lot of respect for you and the results you get but I do wish you wouldn't post stuff like this without explaining, 99% of us on here are fitness newbs. ;-) x
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think we've stumbled onto my favorite topic. Having a tight mid section or 6 pack is a pretty big deal. It takes a lot of disciple to get get there. Most workouts are one hour or so. We sleep 8 hours leaving us about 15 hours/day to be discipled in pursuit of our goals. Many choose to be undisciplined for those 15 hours. Abs/flat stomachs are products of nutrition/diet.

The best I've had recently was a 1.5 pack last October. I'm making a run at a 4+ pack for this July.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

It will make me happy for the pure fact i know i've worked my *kitten* off for it and deserve it :)

Also please realize that if you have to work really hard for a flat belly, you'll have to work really hard to maintain it. You don't just get to sit back and enjoy looking at your six pack LOL... I learned this the hard way. If I want to keep a flat stomach, it will mean being vigilant about very strict eating for the rest of my life. Took me some time to realize that a small amount of fat on my stomach is fine, that no one else on earth cares except for me, and it means I can eat like a normal human being rather than a baby bird :P

It's 99% diet and 1% exercise.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Well if you run a mile every day, the first time you do it, it will be hard. The 50th time you do it, it will be a breeze because your body got stronger. The same exercises don't provide the same challenge once you've gotten strong enough to do them...

So you increase the intensity. Nothing wrong with the exercise.

Make sense?
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options

Really. Care to explain how that works? I use the same week in, week out, so do my guys.

The only reason to change things up is if your muscle grows and needs greater stresses to break it down which may involve a greater pace, not a change of machinery/equipment..
    I'm complaining because i'm sick of working hard and not getting the results i want.

It's only a breeze to run that same mile taking the same amount of time. There's always room for improvement on your speed. Any "repetitive" workout is effective as long as you push yourself to do it better, faster.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Matt, I have a lot of respect for you and the results you get but I do wish you wouldn't post stuff like this without explaining, 99% of us on here are fitness newbs. ;-) x

Ok, think about muscle. It grows outwards, thicker.

If you develop thick obliques, you will by the very nature the muscle on the side of your body, look thicker! Look at the diagram below - if you make the purple bits thicker, which direction will they go? Outwards!

ab-pic-51.bmp
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Ah, I get it - that explains why lots of lean trainers (Jillian / Chalene etc) have very wide waists despite the visible muscle.
  • Jade17694
    Options

Also please realize that if you have to work really hard for a flat belly, you'll have to work really hard to maintain it. You don't just get to sit back and enjoy looking at your six pack LOL... I learned this the hard way. If I want to keep a flat stomach, it will mean being vigilant about constant exercise and very strict eating for the rest of my life. Took me some time to realize that a small amount of fat on my stomach is fine, that no one else on earth cares except for me, and it means I can eat like a normal human being rather than a baby bird :P

That is obvious. I'm not naive. I know it's going to take a lot and once i start there's no going back, i'm not going to just eat right and exercise until i get the stomach i want and then give up-do nothing and eat crap, it's something i'm willing to do for the rest of my life or until something happens where by i can't continue.