Sharing Your Diary

Why wouldn't you? I mean for me that is part of why this works. Knowing that if I eat this, people are going to see it. It makes me stop and truly think about what I'm putting into my mouth. When I'm tempted to cheat, regardless of if I have the calories to do so or not, I will stop and think "Ok what will my MFP friends think when they see this?" Sometimes it's totally worth the criticism that I might get and I go for it.

Also, when you comment on diaries under their calories, do you even look at them when able? I see alot of wtg's and awesome's and what not. But really if that person was way under and not healthy why would that be great? I won't comment if I can't view what those calories were and how under they were. I would rather see someone go over by 100/cals then under by 500. ya know? My goal is to do this the healthy way. Ok Tiny rant over........ :tongue:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    To me it's a diary and diaries are private.
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    My diary isn't public because the comments that public diaries attract aren't motivational for me at all. I don't think "WTG" or "good job!" everyday without fail is supportive at all. I don't need someone to tell me I've done a good job with what I'm eating and then add nothing of importance to that, those comments get tedious and meaningless. My friends here are there for me when I feel down or not motivated to work out, this isn't so much about food for me as everything else. That's why not everyone has a public diary.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Because I have been maintaining for 2+ years and I don't log every day because I know how much and what to eat, I mostly use the diary as a tool to figure out calories/nutrient in something or if I feel I am getting off track I will log for a while. I don't want negative comments from people for not logging.
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    I agree Queen! That's kinda what I was "ranting" about in the 2nd paragraph. :smile:
    I am not bashing anyone for having a private diary btw. I was just wondering peoples reasoning that's all. Like I said it works for me, just knowing that people can view it and crticize, even if that criticism isn't voiced. And that's my reasoning. So please no one take offense. :flowerforyou:
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    For me, my diary being private keeps me honest. I am my own worst critic and I don't need the extra shame of having everyone know that I splurged on tacos the other night. I know. I'm ashamed of it. I beat myself up over it and had to be reassured by my husband. I still logged every taco, and the giant Dr. Pepper I drank with it. Now, flicking through the last few days in my diary I get smacked by those big red numbers and I know that I need to do better.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Why wouldn't you? I mean for me that is part of why this works. Knowing that if I eat this, people are going to see it. It makes me stop and truly think about what I'm putting into my mouth. When I'm tempted to cheat, regardless of if I have the calories to do so or not, I will stop and think "Ok what will my MFP friends think when they see this?" Sometimes it's totally worth the criticism that I might get and I go for it.

Also, when you comment on diaries under their calories, do you even look at them when able? I see alot of wtg's and awesome's and what not. But really if that person was way under and not healthy why would that be great? I won't comment if I can't view what those calories were and how under they were. I would rather see someone go over by 100/cals then under by 500. ya know? My goal is to do this the healthy way. Ok Tiny rant over........ :tongue:

I have mine open. but it doesn't really stop me from eating something bad. However I do look at peoples diary at the end of the day to see how they are under cals etc. I don't want to say WTG to someone who only had a banana and the chocolate puddings that day.
  • lisaap77
    For me, my diary being private keeps me honest. I am my own worst critic and I don't need the extra shame of having everyone know that I splurged on tacos the other night. I know. I'm ashamed of it. I beat myself up over it and had to be reassured by my husband. I still logged every taco, and the giant Dr. Pepper I drank with it. Now, flicking through the last few days in my diary I get smacked by those big red numbers and I know that I need to do better.

See and it's that very reason that mine is public. It's that very shame that keeps me honest as well, just in a different way. But that's what I love about this site. You find what works for you. Good luck on your continued journey!
  • lisaap77

I have mine open. but it doesn't really stop me from eating something bad. However I do look at peoples diary at the end of the day to see how they are under cals etc. I don't want to say WTG to someone who only had a banana and the chocolate puddings that day.

EXACTLY!! Me either!
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Oh nono I wasn't offended! Sorry if I came across as a bit snippy, didn't mean it that way at all :).
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member

See and it's that very reason that mine is public. It's that very shame that keeps me honest as well, just in a different way. But that's what I love about this site. You find what works for you. Good luck on your continued journey!

I just worry that if I had my diary public I would be too ashamed to log when I had a bad day. I'm not sure I did a very good job of getting that point across. lol
  • lisaap77
    Oh nono I wasn't offended! Sorry if I came across as a bit snippy, didn't mean it that way at all :).

No you didn't come off snippy. I just wanted to clarify BEFORE someone was offended. :)
  • kfollow
    kfollow Posts: 7
    Very nice work, good job. You are inspiring me ; )
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    To me it's a diary and diaries are private.

I enter everything ive had, good or bad, but if i had a bad day and felt id be judged I worry and id start leaving things off my diary. I dont want that to happen so for now mines private.

Im not saying further down the line I wont change it but for now it stays private as I feel its better for me
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    I have my diary open as it helps keep me accountable although if I go over it's by choice.
    I also appreciate my friend's open diries as I get tips from them and can see foods I may not have thought of incorporating into my diet.
    It's a personal choice and not for everyone.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 423 Member

I couldn't agree more...I see quite often people being way under on their calorie goals and then to boot only eating unhealthy items! Bothers me to see people giving congrats to that!!!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 476 Member
    I keep mine private because I don't NEED someone's criticism... I know that what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it is working. I've lost 28 pounds in 60 days and I'm working my tail off. I've seen how people judge others by their diary and I don't want that negativity around food....my mother has judged me for EVERY single bite I've ever taken in her presence. I don't need that on MFP, as well... I'm here for support from others that are like me...wanting to become more healthy and fit. :) If someone doesn't want to be my friend because I don't share my diary (and, oddly enough, that happens more often than you would think!!) then, so be it. That's not the kind of support I was looking for anyway....:smile:
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    I want to be accountable to myself, not anybody else.

When I started MFP, I was doing it alone, with the mobile app. Then I discovered there was a whole community here as well, and found some great and very inspiring friends, with whom I shared my diary for a while.

But I think I got to a point where I needed to learn how to do this by myself, hence the private diary. It's the first step for me for becoming truly autonomous... :wink:
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member

Actually, yours isn't "public" - it's open to your friends (I imagine).

In any case, I agree with you. I ditched a friend because I couldn't take seeing her claim "look, now I'm doing it right" and the "wtg" comments when she clearly wasn't eating anywhere near enough food to be healthy.

Her choice, I just don't want to see it. And that's my choice.

I hesitate to even congratulate friends on their losses if I don't have access to their diary.
  • lisaap77
    I have my diary open as it helps keep me accountable although if I go over it's by choice.
    I also appreciate my friend's open diries as I get tips from them and can see foods I may not have thought of incorporating into my diet.
    It's a personal choice and not for everyone.

Same here.

Oh very true. Definitely a personal choice.

I love getting ideas from other's diaries as well. I have asked other's for recipes from their diaries before...;)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    My diary was public to my friends for 4 months. Sometimes the comments were helpful, sometimes destructive, and sometimes empty. I decided on my 5th month here that I needed to hold myself accountable. I log to keep me on track. Can I do this with no one watching? Have I come far enough and learned enough to keep myself disciplined and honest? Turns out -- YES, I have.

Also, it gets tedious after a while in my opinion. I closed my diary to my friends and turned off the notification that posts when I complete it for the day. If my diary is closed, I don't need the pat on the back for logging, either. Since I've stopped posting my diary I've stopped commenting on others because I don't look (unless someone has a specific question and asks for help). I comment on everything else however and am very supportive of my MFP friends. After all, they've helped get me to this point.