Sharing Your Diary

Options

Replies

• seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    Because people love to judge and I don't need to hear it. This is my weight loss journey. I don't need the peanut gallery criticizing everything I put in my mouth.

well said!
  • paulmg1234
    Options
    I just share my diary with my closest friends. That way I feel like it holds me more accountable. Plus, I enjoy commenting on their food choices. :smile:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I share mine so others can get ideas of what to eat and vice versa. Its nice to look at what others are eating to get new suggestions.

Plus it keeps me on track better but to each his or her own.
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i keep my food diary private except for a few family members and close friends. we have so little privacy in the world as it is - but i am so glad there are these blog postings! i like those a LOT.

my only regret for keeping the food diary private is that it hides how healthy and weight conscious a vegetarian diet can be, but hey....
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think it only matters if it's fully open if you start one of those posts asking for diet advice. Then it's a case of

"Look everyone, you know nothing about me but why aren't I losing any weight?"

meh. Mine is open to friends, for me I'm accountable then, and my friends DO pick me up on it when I go over, or have a fat *kitten* day.

As for the WTG! type comments, I think they are usually meant to convey

"Yep, we all have days where we eat like *kitten*, at least you logged it buddy. WTG!"
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think having an open diary is a great thing. That said, I have friends who have an open diary but don't log when they are bad because they are ashamed. Completely defeats the purpose. Secretive or shameful eating is a quick way to unhealthy emotional eating habits. Being open and honest with everyone and yourself about food is more important that losing weight even, in my opinion.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me, my diary being private keeps me honest. I am my own worst critic and I don't need the extra shame of having everyone know that I splurged on tacos the other night. I know. I'm ashamed of it. I beat myself up over it and had to be reassured by my husband. I still logged every taco, and the giant Dr. Pepper I drank with it. Now, flicking through the last few days in my diary I get smacked by those big red numbers and I know that I need to do better.

Same here I let my friends see my diary for a while then I ended up not adding everything because I was embarrassed, so it is private and only I know what I have done. I abuse myself enough! I have great support on here and those that encourage me, but being honest with myself is more important to me and my journey.
  • paulmg1234
    Options
    My diary isn't public because the comments that public diaries attract aren't motivational for me at all. I don't think "WTG" or "good job!" everyday without fail is supportive at all. I don't need someone to tell me I've done a good job with what I'm eating and then add nothing of importance to that, those comments get tedious and meaningless. My friends here are there for me when I feel down or not motivated to work out, this isn't so much about food for me as everything else. That's why not everyone has a public diary.

I totally agree! Well said!
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    To me it's a diary and diaries are private.

Agreed!!!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Personal choice of course, I have a handful of friends with private diaries and my comments to them are like Keep it up, logging is awesome, be accountable, stuff like that, not wtg or awesome, being under is not necessarily a good thing.
    Mine is open and I log religiously, keeps me honest and I pretty much don't cheat, I do go under and get chided because I suck some days at planning but my diary has inspired others to get out of their ruts and eat a bit healthier so to me it's worth it to have an open diary :)
    Just my two cents.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    I'm a really private person. I rarely look at others diarys and I agree with all that WTG, nice job stuff. I don't think people even look, i think they just reply
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    My diary is private because well its my diary. I also dont need to be accountable to anyone else but myself. I'm going through this weight loss for me and in the long run IMO in order to keep the weight off I will always have to be accountable to myself. What works for some may not for others. Glad it works for you but its not for everyone.
  • Crystal_LeeDee
    Options
    1. I track what I eat & the calories in a notepad. Then I come on here and add the calories with "quick add calories"..........so that is why mine is not open. All anyone would see is quick add calories. I do this because I already track them in a notepad so if I for some reason can't get on here I still have it for my records. Plus, I don't always have time to sit here and try to search the database for a food.

2. This is each person's own journey & how they choose to do it is their business. I just don't understand why it's so important to have to know what every single person does/doesn't eat. Most important thing to me is what I'm putting in MY mouth.

3. I'm accountable to me...that's really what's important.

4. If someone wants to show their diary, awesome....if they don't, same.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I just find this thread ironic after just opening the other thread ranting about why people's diaries look the way they do, and why people eat what they do...and they 'should' be eating this..or that.

But, I think it's a matter of personal preference. There have been times I find it has helped me to keep it private so that I'm more honest with logging. Other times I find it more helpful to keep it open because I was getting bored with logging and slacking on doing it everyday. It all just depends on where I am in my life.
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? I mean for me that is part of why this works. Knowing that if I eat this, people are going to see it. It makes me stop and truly think about what I'm putting into my mouth. When I'm tempted to cheat, regardless of if I have the calories to do so or not, I will stop and think "Ok what will my MFP friends think when they see this?" Sometimes it's totally worth the criticism that I might get and I go for it.

Also, when you comment on diaries under their calories, do you even look at them when able? I see alot of wtg's and awesome's and what not. But really if that person was way under and not healthy why would that be great? I won't comment if I can't view what those calories were and how under they were. I would rather see someone go over by 100/cals then under by 500. ya know? My goal is to do this the healthy way. Ok Tiny rant over........ :tongue:

i agree! This keeps me in check to strive to eat good, because everyone is going to judge what i eat. And i love for someone to judge what i am eating to give me input to know if what i am doing is good....weightloss is 80% food 20% exercise....so that being the case anyone can help make suggestions to help me eat better is going to help me with 80% of the work i need to do...so add me if you like i love to have anyone who would love to critic my diary:wink:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I find that those who keep their diary private are the rants I find in threads that complain most about being stuck at plateau. The first responses of those threads are, "I can't give you advice. Your diary is private."

My diary is not private. All my MFP friends have open diaries as well. We compliment each other on food choices and good meal ideas. I've discovered low-calorie oatmeal cookie recipes and cauliflower-crust pizza that way. I have chocolate everyday and I am not ashamed of it. Some of my MFP are drinking Vi or Shakeology shakes. It enables me to see their progress and makes me consider those options as well.

I've gained much more by having my diary open then private.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because it's my own business... Not to be rude, but I don't know why some are so obsessed with seeing everyone's diaries. Enough are open that you shouldn't need to see EVERYONEs anyway. There are a plethora of reasons that WE keep them closed. Some write notes to themselves that aren't meant for all to see. Some log half the time and don't half the time. This journey for ME is individual. I don't comment on other's diaries unless asked to be fair. :flowerforyou:
  • flstarlady65
    Options
    I believe we are all accountable for what we put in our mouths even if it's bad. My Diary has been open since day one. It's my bad eating habits that got me here and with some help and encouragement from friends is just what the doctor ordered. I am doing this all by myself. I have no family, husband, boyfriend to support me in my journey. My mother used to critize me when I made bad food choices, but it's the food choices she made that got me here.

So, I am going to shame myself if I make bad food choices or have "pats on the back" if I'm good. We are all human and makes mistakes but it takes a special person to admit to them and put themselves back on track.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It is so interesting to see the variety of opinions on this topic. I keep mine open, because first of all, my friends include my two sisters, so I know they know me and my weaknesses, and it helps keep me accountable (like trying not to have to log too much alcohol - LOL). :drinker: And I also have a handful of MFP pals who seem to really care. :flowerforyou:

Other than that, no one really comments, but I think that is beause in general, I do eat pretty healthy (take a look :laugh: ).

I agree that one of my pet peeves is some of my MFP friends who routinely don't make what, in my opinion, are good choices. I feel that, for the most part, they won't end up sticking with this as a life style change, and won't be successful in their weight loss journey. I do look at diaries before I make any "WTG" or "good job" comments, and I won't make those comments if I don't feel they are deserved. I cringe at the diaries that are under 1200 calories, but include fast food, chips, desserts, and little or no "good for you" foods. I also have some UK friends, and although I find it interesting to look at their diaries, I honestly don't know what half the stuff is, so I can't comment. :laugh:

I don't think judging people, when they have an indulgence or a "fall from grace" every now and then is productive. Rather, that's when we need the support of our MFP pals to help us shake it off. I have a friend at work (who isn't on MFP) who has lost about 40 pounds over the past couple of years, and is very happy with where she is now (about 5'9", 160). She definitely indulges on occasion (frequently), because she loves food, but in general, she makes good choices with lots of fruit and vegetables, and exercises almost daily (30 minute walk with me a lunch, and weights / eliptical at home). My point is, if she logged on MFP, she could be criticized by some people for her excesses, but in reality, she is in a much better place than someone who goes a couple weeks or couple months with super low calories and mega exercise, only to fall back into their old habits....

So, that's my two cents.:blushing:
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is so interesting to see the variety of opinions on this topic. I keep mine open, because first of all, my friends include my two sisters, so I know they know me and my weaknesses, and it helps keep me accountable (like trying not to have to log too much alcohol - LOL). :drinker: And I also have a handful of MFP pals who seem to really care. :flowerforyou:

Other than that, no one really comments, but I think that is beause in general, I do eat pretty healthy (take a look :laugh: ).

I agree that one of my pet peeves is some of my MFP friends who routinely don't make what, in my opinion, are good choices. I feel that, for the most part, they won't end up sticking with this as a life style change, and won't be successful in their weight loss journey. I do look at diaries before I make any "WTG" or "good job" comments, and I won't make those comments if I don't feel they are deserved. I cringe at the diaries that are under 1200 calories, but include fast food, chips, desserts, and little or no "good for you" foods. I also have some UK friends, and although I find it interesting to look at their diaries, I honestly don't know what half the stuff is, so I can't comment. :laugh:

I don't think judging people, when they have an indulgence or a "fall from grace" every now and then is productive. Rather, that's when we need the support of our MFP pals to help us shake it off. I have a friend at work (who isn't on MFP) who has lost about 40 pounds over the past couple of years, and is very happy with where she is now (about 5'9", 160). She definitely indulges on occasion (frequently), because she loves food, but in general, she makes good choices with lots of fruit and vegetables, and exercises almost daily (30 minute walk with me a lunch, and weights / eliptical at home). My point is, if she logged on MFP, she could be criticized by some people for her excesses, but in reality, she is in a much better place than someone who goes a couple weeks or couple months with super low calories and mega exercise, only to fall back into their old habits....

So, that's my two cents.:blushing:

Congrats to your friend! That's awesome. I'm all for whatever works for someone personally. Oh and boy do I ever hear ya on the alcohol! That can really screw up a healthy day!!! LOL