One for the ladies....

Options
I have a major sweet tooth, which i tend to keep under control and can happily manage on a daily basis with yoghurt and chocolate covered raisens; theres a small pack of colourful ones I have which as I say do the trick but there are 10 dreaded days for me where I just can't seem to curb my sweet tooth regardless of what I try; 3days before, 4days during and 3 days after my TOM.....I am currently eating atleast a bar of chocolate a day and I'm seeing the effect on the scales.

Someone please tell me you haev a solution; a little of dark choclate does not work for me either, which is what alot of people have sugested to me previously!

The rest of the month I am find and I can go without it for every other day of the month jsut those 10 days that I seem to be at my worst with the 3 days before being the biggest nightmare the craving tends to tone down after those three days but I still need a fix!

Replies

• hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only advice I have is difficult...break the habit. I mean all of it, no sugar of any kind, no chocolates, fruit, sweetened drinks etc. . It usually takes about 2 weeks to detox from the sugar, the first 4-5 days are the worst but after that it's not as difficult. You become so used to have the hit from sugar that you start to crave it and if you have a little you want more. Just the way it is with sugar. Once your reliance has subsided having just a little is more manageable.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Russell Stovers make great sugar free candy (the pecan clusters are the best). If I am having a sweet craving I will eat one of them.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only advice I have is difficult...break the habit. I mean all of it, no sugar of any kind, no chocolates, fruit, sweetened drinks etc. . It usually takes about 2 weeks to detox from the sugar, the first 4-5 days are the worst but after that it's not as difficult. You become so used to have the hit from sugar that you start to crave it and if you have a little you want more. Just the way it is with sugar. Once your reliance has subsided having just a little is more manageable.

I don't drink sweetened drinks of any kind, I mostly drink water and sometimes milk and cranberry juice (not together!) but never anything else, so I'm okay on that front. Fruit is a bit tougher for me though I do eat quite a bit of fruit I find it sometimes helps with the cravings to havea smoothie; surely cutting all fruit out isn't good? If I cut out my fruit I have no idea how I would live tbh, it's a miassive part of my diet and I propably eat my portions of 5 a day on both fruit and veg!

Cold turkey works the rest of the month for me and I honeslty don't look for it but those 10 days I can't quite get it right and tend to eat chocolate after trying a million things! i have even tried chewing gum to stop me from putting chocolate in my mouth ha! I'm hopeless!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Another vote for break the habit. I had to do something similar. Whenever I was stressed I would crave comfort food. I started drinking tea everytime I felt that way. It works now when Im stressed I want tea.
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    Russell Stovers make great sugar free candy (the pecan clusters are the best). If I am having a sweet craving I will eat one of them.

Can you get them anywhere in the UK or specially ordered?
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    Enjoy the chocolate bars those 10 days, and just take the calories from a different meal. As long as you are still in a calorie deficit you should still be able to see results.
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    Another vote for break the habit. I had to do something similar. Whenever I was stressed I would crave comfort food. I started drinking tea everytime I felt that way. It works now when Im stressed I want tea.

think Coffee would work? I don't take suger in coffee.
  • kaylz0106
    Options
    Enjoy the chocolate bars those 10 days, and just take the calories from a different meal. As long as you are still in a calorie deficit you should still be able to see results.

I am still in a deficit, my goal is 2lbs per week so my deficit is a huge 991 calories! If I have a bad day I can sometimes go 250 into this, which sounds like loads but thats a four finger kit kat!!! I have now down sized to milky bar as it only has 137 aclories but still it's a lot!
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was so addicted to sugar that I would get spoonfuls of brown sugar and just eat it plain. I know, gross huh? I had to completely have NO sugar for about a week. The first few days were miserable. Then it got easier. I haven't had much sugar in months, and I don't crave it AT ALL now. I do have a treat about once per week, but I would be fine without it now. It was the worst for me before my time of the month too. It is funny, now I crave oranges. Also, gum became my best friend. The first week off sugar I went through almost a pack a day. Looking back I realize just how addicted I was.
  • LillysGranny
    Options

This.....and make sure you're getting plenty of water, fiber, protein and sleep during this time.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sugar free fudge pops, skinny cow chocolate bars, or Breyer's carb smart ice cream bars have helped me a great deal. I also have a sweet tooth. You have to replace the chocolate bars with healthier versions!
  • Tinman42
    Tinman42 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow brand also makes some items that work great when I'm having a sweet tooth! And it looks like they are available in the UK!

http://www.skinnycow.co.uk/
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth... usually the taste or smell of peppermint will make the craving go away.. at least for a little while.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When i have that wonderful TOM... i buy the fiber one Brownies.. 90calories and amazing! I personally feel like this is a lifestyle change, not to cut out things you truly enjoy.. sometimes doing that can lead to someone falling completly off the wagon, and saying the hell with it all together. Allow yourself to have the things you love, in moderation and make sensible choices. It CAN be done...
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get plenty of protein and water during that TOM! I find that I will have nasty cravings if I don't get enough protein in early enough in the day. I'm good 2 out of 3 months now. That doesn't play as big a role as when it's once a month. Try to spread out the chocolate throughout the day. Have a bite or two every couple of hours, to see if you can cut back the amount this way. I don't care about those that said break the habit. Just control the habit and you'll do a lot better!
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow brand also makes some items that work great when I'm having a sweet tooth! And it looks like they are available in the UK!

http://www.skinnycow.co.uk/

I :heart: ANYTHING Skinny Cow!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I deal with my chocolate cravings by making a delicious superfood smoothie!

I blend two tablespoons Navitas Naturals Raw Cacao Powder (about $12 for 16 oz at Whole Foods) with a cup of ice, a cup of vanilla almond milk, a squeeze of honey, 2 cups of spinach leaves and sometimes a half a banana or a quarter of an avocado (for some healthy fats). It makes a delicious, filling and cholocatey snack that totally satisfies! And it's just over 200 calories!
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    Can you just not buy the candy so you don't have it in your house?
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I love the sugar free chocolate pudding cups. I put mine in the microwave for about 10 seconds and sometimes put a little fat free or sugar free (if I can find it) whip cream on top. Something about warming it a little just gives it a better taste and makes it more "comforty" for me. It really hits the spot and the pudding cups are only 70 calories. Dove also makes good sugar free candy.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe buy a chocolate dipping sauce and use fresh fruit with it. Then slowly go to every other day with the sauce on the fruit. I still have this problem even though I had a hysterectomy. I have shifted to fruit for those cravings. It was a slow process but worth it because now I eat chocolate rarely. If I just keep craving I will give myself a small portion to kill the craving. Good luck. :wink: