Fatloss for Idiots: Beyond Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• jbstorment
    jbstorment Posts: 1
    Options
    My doctor and naturopath actually highly recommended this diet to me after struggling to lose weight due to hypothyroidism. My naturopath actually told me about, and so I ran it by my doctor who gave me the big green light to give it a try and said it had credible reasoning as to why it should work. She said its good to "restart" your metabolism occasionally, especially after things like vacations, diet plateaus, unhealthy low calorie diets, etc.

My husband and I did the diet and I lost 6 pounds, and my hubby lost 11. I assumed it was water weight that I'd gain back quickly, but neither of us gained the weight back and actually continued losing weight with a more traditional diet after. This was after I couldn't lose more than about a pound a month regardless of what I tried. After this diet, I was able to lose about 2 pounds a week on a traditional healthy diet and exercise regime. Then I was plateauing again, and did the beyond calories diet again, lost 5 1/2 pounds the second time and was able to lose weight again going back on the healthful diet and exercise regime. My mom has since tried this diet with great success. She lost 7 pounds the first 10 days, ate normally for a weekend, and lost another 9 pounds the second set of 10 days. It's been a couple of months and she didn't put any of the weight back on. My doctor said eating small meals or healthful snacks every 2 - 3 hours from the time you wake until dinner time is optimal for ones overall health and proper adrenal and metabolic function, and so the 6 small meals and pairing of certain foods together for efficient digestion is what makes this diet work. Whatever it is, I have this diet is a great tool to use occasionally in addition to a healthful diet and exercise regime.

Ultimately it's a PITA that involves a ton of planning, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. I just make things in big batches and freeze them and thaw them over time. I get sick of eating salads non-stop for the heavy vegetable portions, so even though it's not on the list, I make a big pot of veggie soup cooked in a bit of broth and herbs (nearly all veggies, but just enough broth to make it sort of soup-like), or I'll make chicken fajitas served in lettuce wraps or over salad for the meals that involve mixing veggies and protein. Anyway, if you get creative in preparing the food, it's not such a bad diet and doesn't have to be boring.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Please explain "calorie shifting"?

Does that mean I should move my cake to the other side of the table?

Yes, move it to my side and I will make sure you don't gain weight from it. :wink:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    zombie thread is going to eat your brainzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    zombie thread is going to eat your brainzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Darnit! They finally got me. I'm usually so good about checking... :cry:
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This diet sounds funny. I'd rather just work hard and take it slow. It takes enough energy to lose weight by counting calories, why waste more energy being restricted to certain groups where you pick things?