how bad would it be if I drink coke zero???

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The artificial stuff tricks your body into thinking tis getting sweets and gets your insulin levels up to combat the sweet.

Not true. The artificial sweeteners in diet soda have no such effects. This has been shown by a number of studies.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have one every single day with lunch at work.....the 20 oz kind!!! On the weekends I'll drink that or diet coke (my kids do not need me caffeine free!!).

I've lost over 30 lbs and in my mind I would rather make this sustainable and lose a little slower than cut everything, lose fast and not be able to sustain it. But I personally don't believe it's hindering much since I usually drink 8 cups of water -- today was a low day.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I may be an odd one here... but does anyone else drink soda and feel full for a while? Sometimes I will drink a diet soda between meals and feel better :D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    It will be horrible. It will result in numerous negative things destroying all that you care for and end the world as we know it . . . Sorry, that was for another post. Nothing wrong with the occasional Coke Zero. I drink it, maybe 2-3 a week with no issue. Drinking it instead of water would be an issue, or drinking gallons of it, but the occasional one, not a problem.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    I may be an odd one here... but does anyone else drink soda and feel full for a while? Sometimes I will drink a diet soda between meals and feel better :D

You described me to a t. I have a diet soda, and I am full for quite a while.
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I myself would never drink one for my reasons. I am sure the occasional one would be okay.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    The only problem with Diet drinks including Coke Zero is the arsnic in it also known as aspartame. This is dangerous and almost ruined my health as well as some other members of my family. I will not touch a diet drink to save my life. If I drink a soda, I will drink a regular soda and deal with the calories.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Personally I don't like the taste of coke zero or diet coke. I try not to drink soda but once in awhile I will have one glass of the mexican coke (I like the taste better than US coke). To each his own...if it makes you happy, go for it! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Well, blood work came back, and both of those are fine, but CO2 levels were elevated. My husband was a 1-2 soda a day guy, always diet. The doctor said that the CO2 from soda is actually displacing oxygen in his blood and that is why he had no endurance

Interesting. I have never heard that before. Seems to me there would be a lot of people passing out and such if that were true. Something tells me there is no direct transition from stomach to blood in that manner.

Time to do some digging....

I was thinking along the same lines. But not arguing since I've been wanting him to cut back on his soda anyway. Like I said, moderation doesn't exist with him.
    Since he stopped drinking soda, he's dropped about 4 lbs. Most likely not fat loss, but maybe he's retaining less water? I don't know...
  • robinmyer
    robinmyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Realty: Location, location, location...
    Dieting: Moderation, moderation, moderation..

:)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    beside leaking calcium from your bones?
    Coke zero and lemonade is the only sodas I drink tho.
  • lizb41
    lizb41 Posts: 17
    Options
    i agree....i drink it to fill me up a bit and have a sweet 'fix'!!

it's certainly better than all the rubbish i used to eat and drink before i started my healthy diet :wink:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Well, blood work came back, and both of those are fine, but CO2 levels were elevated. My husband was a 1-2 soda a day guy, always diet. The doctor said that the CO2 from soda is actually displacing oxygen in his blood and that is why he had no endurance

Interesting. I have never heard that before. Seems to me there would be a lot of people passing out and such if that were true. Something tells me there is no direct transition from stomach to blood in that manner.

What a crackup. Scary to think that a doctor came out with that - I mean, what are the lungs for? Oh! That's right! for getting rid of CO2 and replacing it with O2. Silly me...
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Nah I don't touch the stuff anymore. I used to have diet coke everyday. And now that I've quit? I feel so, so much more better! :)
    x
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I'd love to know what you find in that digging and I'll let you know if I find anything too... I drink a fair bit of Soda Water - I'd probably drink about 4 ltrs a week? I was having troubles with endurance but I never would have linked it to the Soda Water!
  • ainsleybrookemommy
    ainsleybrookemommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My husband recently went to the doctor because he was not losing any weight, not gaining any endurance, was always tired, etc, etc. We thought it was either low testosterone or a thyroid issue. Well, blood work came back, and both of those are fine, but CO2 levels were elevated. My husband was a 1-2 soda a day guy, always diet. The doctor said that the CO2 from soda is actually displacing oxygen in his blood and that is why he had no endurance - his metabolism was in the basement!! It's only been a couple of weeks since he stopped drinking soda (he has a hard time with just a little once in a while, maybe after he gets it all out of his system he can, but one soda tends to lead to more) and he is already feeling so much better! I would never have believed it!

I am a lurker, but I have finally found the post that forces me to chime in.

This is ridiculous. If your doctor really said that, you need to find a new primary care doctor because that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And I am quite sure that by blood work, he ran a chem panel and saw that the bicarbonate was high, which may be a reflection of his hydration status, meds, or less likely, lung function. To then remark that CO2 is displacing O2 from the blood and decreasing stamina shows a complete and utter lack of knowledge of blood gas analysis and chemistry.

And yes, I am one of those doctors who does blood gas analysis frequently.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The Mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diet-soda/AN01732
    Media: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/14/soda-and-heart-attacks_n_1343163.html
    http://fwd4.me/0wgN
    http://fwd4.me/0wgO

Basically, you can find "objective" support for either opinion ... I would suggest do without for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference in the way you feel when you start again...
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke by the gallon

Its been a food alternative for me .. Instead of cake have coke

Its clearly not that good for you but i look at it this way. Diet coke or 300lb.... Ill take the coke

In your case tho you are happy drinking water. Stick with water!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in a year - and drank a can of Coke Zero most days - so no - it will not harm your progress......
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I drink about 1L / 1.5L water a day - and 1 can / 1 glass of coke zero a day.

I notice no difference on the days I skip the Coke zero, and i've managed to lose over 40lb, so it can't be doing much damage to my weight loss.

In moderation it's fine - just don't start drinking a litre of the stuff each day!