Polar Ft4 HRM

Options
rlv2680
rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
OKay so i have tried a couple different HRM's, and have been very dissapointed...until today. My New Polar FT4 is amazing....seems pretty accurate too, untill today i have been over estimating my calorie burns due to the inaccuracy of the other HRM. Also the other ones tended to lose signal from the chest strap which as very annoying and frustrating and made it hard to concentrate on my workout.
Sooo, if anyone is looking for a good basic HRM the polar FT4 is lovely. Mine is pink too so it's cute. It was a little less than 100$ and spending the little bit extra was soooo worth it.

Replies

• Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    i just bought this one today, too. Should be in within 5 days. Hope I love it too.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for one of them too, but I want to find one on offer lmao, £54 is the cheapest I've seen it and that's a bit above budget right now :(
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    I got mine, and it was horrible - only caught one out of every four heartbeats, if that. I tried wetting the strap, moving it around, everything. Finally figured out that if it the watch was right next to the chest strap, it worked fine. I actually did a workout with the watch threaded through the chest strap. Got a new battery for the chest strap, and now it works perfectly. Definitely worth the money, and I'm glad I didn't spend any more on the higher priced models.... and glad I figured out it was just a bum battery. $5 for a new one is a lot better than having to go through the hassle of returning it.

Note that the watch has a low battery warning, but the strap doesn't.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    My hubby got me my ft4 for Christmas and I LOVE IT! easy to use and makes me compete with myself
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my FT4! I am now the mascot in my fitness classes because I am the only one that wears one. I decided I would buy one for my roommate for her birthday since she is serious about working out. I want to make sure she'll wear it though - I have a feeling she won't (because that's just the way that she is!)

I was actually under estimating my calorie burns and had to count back on how much i was working out every afternoon.
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I ordered the FT4 today and can't wait to get it in the mail! I will be starting Jillian Michales Body Revolution and am so excited to see just how many calories I'm burning. I too got the pink one! YAY!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Okay - so I"m confused. THe POlar FT4 HRM does not require a chest strap? It gets the pulse from your wrist? Just checking. I already have a Garmin with chest strap for biking and running but would like one to wear for aerobics that maybe is just a wrist band. Any advice?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Okay - so I"m confused. THe POlar FT4 HRM does not require a chest strap? It gets the pulse from your wrist? Just checking. I already have a Garmin with chest strap for biking and running but would like one to wear for aerobics that maybe is just a wrist band. Any advice?

it has a chest strap
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 that I love! I decided to wear it all day today to see how many calories I actually burn throughout the day ( approx. BMR), in addition to exercising tonight. Since 9 am, I've burned 875 calories. That seems pretty high, but maybe it all evens out overnight??
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    OKay so i have tried a couple different HRM's, and have been very dissapointed...until today. My New Polar FT4 is amazing....seems pretty accurate too, untill today i have been over estimating my calorie burns due to the inaccuracy of the other HRM. Also the other ones tended to lose signal from the chest strap which as very annoying and frustrating and made it hard to concentrate on my workout.
    Sooo, if anyone is looking for a good basic HRM the polar FT4 is lovely. Mine is pink too so it's cute. It was a little less than 100$ and spending the little bit extra was soooo worth it.

You can usually find it on Amazon.com for around $65 with free shipping. ;-)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 that I love! I decided to wear it all day today to see how many calories I actually burn throughout the day ( approx. BMR), in addition to exercising tonight. Since 9 am, I've burned 875 calories. That seems pretty high, but maybe it all evens out overnight??

Heartrate monitors are NOT designed to be used all-day, they are only programmed to be somewhat accurate during actual exercise when your heartrate is elevated. Don't pay any attention to that number if you haven't been working out, it is meaningless. If you would like a device that is actually designed to be worn all day, look into buying a BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit armband. They calculate calories using different methods and are actually intended to be worn all day, even while you sleep.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Yeah - it has a chest strap.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I got my grey FT4 in the mail about 20 minutes ago and am SO excited to test it out tonight. So great because I wasn't really motivates for gym tonight, but I am now! So you have to wear the strap EVERY time you wear the watch?
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this today! It should be here Thursday. I'm so excited!!
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! This post just helped me make a decision as to which HRM to get. Thanks all - I can't wait for my FT4 to arrive!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I got my grey FT4 in the mail about 20 minutes ago and am SO excited to test it out tonight. So great because I wasn't really motivates for gym tonight, but I am now! So you have to wear the strap EVERY time you wear the watch?

If you want to get your cals and heartrate, yes. The chest strap detects your heart rate, and transmits it to the watch.
  • mgoulsbra
    mgoulsbra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the positive comments about the FT4. I've got a pink one, and been using it for a couple of months. Never had a single problem with it.
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, and love it!

It's simple to use, and the chest strap is very comfortable. I've worn it while coaching hockey, while playing goal and while running. Very cool to get precise info like that immediately!

*thumbs up*
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You may find that after 6 months or so it starts giving funny readings, such as 00, or telling your your heart rate is like 223bpm. It's vital you wipe it after every use, and wash it regularly, else this will happen more and more.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I have the bronze coloured one of the Polar FT4 - love it.

I, like you, was surprised at the difference in calorie burns from machines to the watch. I have also found it absolutely invaluable for using in interval training in running too, one glance and I can see when my heartbeat goes back down to 120bpm after a rep and so am ready to do the next one.

Would recommend this watch to anyone!