Polar Ft4 HRM

Options

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Love mine too. I was actually underestimating my calorie burn.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So my FT4 told me that I had burned 363 calories, when the treadmill told me 502. I was completely unsatisfied with how much I burned, yet I was red as a tomato. Going to have to work harder if I want to lose the weight!

Also the chest strap is the most annoyingist (real word?) thing. I am pretty sure I had it too tight because after my workout I took it off and felt like I had been holding my breath for the last hour. But at the start, it kept falling down when I was running?

Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, I don't know.

But I love everything else about it! Haha
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I got mine, and it was horrible - only caught one out of every four heartbeats, if that. I tried wetting the strap, moving it around, everything. Finally figured out that if it the watch was right next to the chest strap, it worked fine. I actually did a workout with the watch threaded through the chest strap. Got a new battery for the chest strap, and now it works perfectly. Definitely worth the money, and I'm glad I didn't spend any more on the higher priced models.... and glad I figured out it was just a bum battery. $5 for a new one is a lot better than having to go through the hassle of returning it.

Note that the watch has a low battery warning, but the strap doesn't.

SO u don't actually have to have the watch part on as long as its hooked close to the chest strap ? The reason Im asking is because I have an old HRM with a strap but can't seem to figure out how to change the battery and ended up breaking the watch strap so I was going to buy a new one.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I got mine, and it was horrible - only caught one out of every four heartbeats, if that. I tried wetting the strap, moving it around, everything. Finally figured out that if it the watch was right next to the chest strap, it worked fine. I actually did a workout with the watch threaded through the chest strap. Got a new battery for the chest strap, and now it works perfectly. Definitely worth the money, and I'm glad I didn't spend any more on the higher priced models.... and glad I figured out it was just a bum battery. $5 for a new one is a lot better than having to go through the hassle of returning it.

Note that the watch has a low battery warning, but the strap doesn't.

SO u don't actually have to have the watch part on as long as its hooked close to the chest strap ? The reason Im asking is because I have an old HRM with a strap but can't seem to figure out how to change the battery and ended up breaking the watch strap so I was going to buy a new one.

This is correct. As long as the watch is within the vicinity of your cheststrap whilst you are wearing it, it will work.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Are Polar HRMs the ones that you have to send in to get the battery replaced? i've been reading a lot of reviews while trying to decide which one is best, and this seems to be the major downside with this brand. i guess as long as the battery lasts long enough it wouldn't be so annoying, but still.
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    I have the same one and LOVEEEEEEE it!!!!!!
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    It depends on which one you get. This one, you can change it yourself.
    Are Polar HRMs the ones that you have to send in to get the battery replaced? i've been reading a lot of reviews while trying to decide which one is best, and this seems to be the major downside with this brand. i guess as long as the battery lasts long enough it wouldn't be so annoying, but still.
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4! Got mine from Amazon.com for a little over $60. My sister got hers for less than $50 from Sears.com a few weeks ago. We both got the bronze colored one. I like that it blends with my skin tone :-D
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY FT4! It is the best $60 bucks I have spent so far in this journey. The watch part never comes off my wrist...because I love it so much.
  • Chameleongal
    Options
    OKay so i have tried a couple different HRM's, and have been very dissapointed...until today. My New Polar FT4 is amazing....seems pretty accurate too, untill today i have been over estimating my calorie burns due to the inaccuracy of the other HRM. Also the other ones tended to lose signal from the chest strap which as very annoying and frustrating and made it hard to concentrate on my workout.
    Sooo, if anyone is looking for a good basic HRM the polar FT4 is lovely. Mine is pink too so it's cute. It was a little less than 100$ and spending the little bit extra was soooo worth it.

I have the bronze coloured one of the Polar FT4 - love it.

I, like you, was surprised at the difference in calorie burns from machines to the watch. I have also found it absolutely invaluable for using in interval training in running too, one glance and I can see when my heartbeat goes back down to 120bpm after a rep and so am ready to do the next one.

Would recommend this watch to anyone!

I just bought the bronze one as well. I can't wait to do some video exercises at home and get an accurate read on my calorie burns.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've had the pink FT4 since about October 2012 and I love it. I have noticed that the strap tends to stretch out a little over time which leads to problems with the watch part picking up my heart rate. Also when the strap gets stretched out, it winds up twisting and bunching up around my bra and then it doesn't work. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of a run and my heart rate will immediately drop from the mid-150s down to 0 and I'll have to take the whole thing off, splash it with my water bottle, tighten the strap, put it back on, and reset the watch. It's kind of upsetting because then I don't have an accurate measurement of my heart rate, calories burned, etc, but other than that, I love it. It worked really well the first couple of months and only recently have I experienced problems with the strap.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have the pink one as well. Mine shows about half the calories that MFP was estimating and about 2/3 of the calories on the elliptical so I was gettting credit for a LOT more calories than i was actually burning. Started losing a little more too.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 in pink and absolutely love it. Very easy to use and been using it for about 8 months and haven't had any issues with it.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have FT4
    Mine has a chest strap and a wrist band and i don't have to have the wqrist band near the chest strap.
    i Love it alot.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have just got a polar FT4 in the last few weeks and it's great. I use it for running and swimming in the pool too. It's fine as long as you don't press the buttons underwater. The reason you have to send it ack to get the battery changed is to guarantee the water resistance, if you change it yourself, it probably wouldn't be water resistant anymore. Not a problem unless you use it for swimming like I do. The difference in actual calorie burn (measured with my hrm) and MFP values is unreal. Measured burn for 60mins swimming laps was 471, mfp would have given me 532 (moderate intensity) and over 700 for fast!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm dying for an FT4, and have heard little else but praise for it. :D
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    ..also TOTALLY getting it in pink! Haha!
  • lhergenr
    Options
    It depends on which one you get. This one, you can change it yourself.
    thanks, that's good to know! i'll probably get one soon even though i'm not crazy about wearing a chest strap
  • 84babe
    84babe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just received my ft4 a few days ago and I still haven't checked it out yet. I purchased mine from sears.com and it was on sale for $40.49. It came with the chest strap as well. I can't wait to use it.
  • lhergenr
    Options
    can you set it so the alarm doesn't beep when your heart rate gets too low/high?