Your favorite workout DVD and why?

Options

Replies

• AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    30 day shred for me. its short enough that i can find time to do it everyday. i like the format - 3 circuits of 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, 1 minute abs. i can do the moves! lol. and most importantly i like the results it gives me.

plus there's nearly always groups of people on my fitness pal doing it at the same time which is great for motivation.

good luck with whatever you pick. :smile:

I was going to say this one too. It's what I started with and it's a great workout that produces results. And it's quick and cheap.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I quite like Burlesque by Jazzercise.

No jazz hands, in case you're wondering...

This is what I'm getting ready to do as soon as I get my butt away from the boards! I love this workout, and it really works your butt! Didn't think I would like it, but a friend had been talking about how much she loved her class, so I picked up this dvd. I also love Turbo Jam. It gives me a great burn, Chalene's energy is motivating and the music is really good. I actually liked Ripped in 30 better than 30 Day Shred, but the PP was right that you probably won't be challenged if you've done P90X. Maybe using heavier weights?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i LOVE jillian michaels six week six pack videos...she works so much of the arms and legs in it too and i always end up a sweaty sobbing mess afterwards without fail! she WORKS you HARD (i do level 2)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Some libraries have a lot of workout DVDs you can check out. That's a great place to start when you don't know what you're looking for. I haven't tried the 30 Day Shred, but I have several Denise Austin videos, a Richard Simmons video, and multiple 10-minute Quick Fix videos.
  • Katiekinzaz
    Katiekinzaz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I, too, borrowed a bunch of different DVDs from the library - which let me try them out before I bought them. I have ended up purchasing a few I really liked. They all happen to be Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I am still searching for a good 30 - 40 minute cardio DVD that I like.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    biggest loser and jillian michaels because i am not coordinated enough to manage the complicated moves of some of the more dance oriented dvds. i get the whole idea is to move, but even by myself i feel self-conscious if i can't do it right.

also, turbo jam is ok. p90x and insanity are all more straight forward exercise and not complicated grapevines and whatnot.
  • mhncaldwell
    mhncaldwell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansome 3 Fast Miles-- but I click on the "Music Only" workout option because (sorry!) she talks a bit too much for me at 5:30 or 6 AM (when I do the walking)
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Cardio Max! You get Bob and Jillian! And you're working out with Biggest Loser contestants, there are modified moves, you can create a custom workout program and choose which workout you want to do.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I liked JM Ripped in 30- it is broken up into more exercises so I liked it more than 30DS and it was more challenging...and I noticed new definition in my muscles:)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Also, i would say that the absolute BEST dvd is the one you enjoy enough to keep doing. a couple posters mentioned the library. that would be a great place to start.
  • smb17
    smb17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking. Interesting to see the responses.

My favorites include three Jillian DVDs: 30 Day Shred, Killer Buns & Thighs, and Shred-it with weights (done with kettlebells).
    I also like Bob Harper's Inside Out Method, and Shiva Rea Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow Yoga (great navigation and options).

Have also started doing Qi Gong for Beginners every AM; 23 mins burns 77 calories. Just a nice way to ease into the day and it leaves me with greater energy and clarity.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To me it depends what you're looking for. If you want a high impact "no pain no gain" then 30 Day Shred is great BUT if you're looking for something that's effective but won't make you feel like you want to die then try Ellen Barett's Crunch: Fat Burning Pilates or Crunch: Burn & Firm Pilates. It's a cardio workout but you build long lean muscles. Those ones are available on netflix if you want to try them out. She aslo has her own line of DVDs called The Studio, which are lower intensity and another called Ellen Barrett Live which are also fun :)
    Those would be my recommendations because I've had a lot of success with them.
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred because it kicks my butt in a short period of time. I started out could not finish level 1, winded, exhausted, knee hurt too much, etc. Hurt to go down the 2 or 3 steps to leave my daughter's house. Next day, OH MY WORD!! It hurt to stand up, it hurt to sit down, used anything close in the bathroom to help me sit and stand. I did not try it again the next day but after that I started pretty regular sort of, sometimes alternating with elliptical, recumbent, etc.

Now, I do level three and follow up with level one. Level two is not my favorite. My left knee still bothers me so I do the modified version on the jumping, and knee stressed moves. With my HRM results, I can burn 170 calories per 28 or so minute session and I feel like I am gettting a work out indeed.

I also like Yoga Meltdown, but it bothers my knee a little more so hopefully when it gets to doing better, I will be able to do some Yoga Meltdown more regularly.

10100588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    I LOVE Leslie Sansone "walk at home" series. It offers a 1,2, or 3 mile walk. Its not just walking. Its a cardio workout. It allows you to ramp up solw and cool down. She is encouraging but firm. Its a great way to start working out at home without getting in over your head too fast. It counts as aerobic exercise so it burns about 230 cals in 30 minutes. She works the entire body. Legs, back, arms etc without you feeling like you have over done it. If you have cable, go to Pay for view movies and look at Exercise TV. I was able to do the 1 mile (15 min) for free for a week. that was enough for me to buy it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have used Leslie Sansone videos on and off for years. I know have a collection of her videos of different lengths, depending on time restraints and mood. I also have bought a collection of Zumba videos. I have no coordination, but I do like doing them. No one sees me not doing the exact moves that they do and still get an awesome workout. I have tried JM 30 day shred. I liked it, but wasn't my thing. I think I will just continue to do ZUmba and Leslie Sansone videos. They make a great combination of length of videos and intensity.
    But, you got to find what you like and works for you. They are the only videos you will keep going back to.
  • sebbysmommy
    sebbysmommy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use the Firm dvd's and love them :) They are easy to follow and give me a killer workout. Just be sure to get the newer ones that don't use any steps or things like that. I also like the Shape Dvd's they have a bikini body one that is killer :)
  • titchymummy84
    Options
    Davina Power of 3. 3 instructors each do same workouts at different fitness levels plus you can choose what part of your body you want to tone up etc x
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    INSANITY - without a doubt! I love this program!
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    I really reccomend Zumba. At first the moves are complicated and you are just like what the hell are they doing, but after about a week I have noticed I am really catching on, and the main thing is that if you move around you are still getting a workout! Another set of DVD's I LOVE is from the Biggest Loser series. I love Bob Harper, he really motivates me, and he knows what he is doing. I also like the fact that the people that work out with him are from the show, and not all of them are skinny and wear next to nothing. It encourages me and feels like im not doing it alone. Some of my favorites so far are:

The Biggest Loser Bootcamp
    The Biggest Loser Yoga Strength (that one will kick your *kitten* lol)
    The Biggest Loser Cardio Max
    Bob Harpers Beginners Weight Loss Transformation

All of the above are challenging in there own ways but are possible to complete. I tried the Insanity workouts and almost passed out because it is INSANE lol I am not fit enough for that as of yet, working up to it. :) Hopefully that helps you.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    30 day shred(Jillian Michaels) awesome. Starting level 2 today-3 days ahead of schedule. Love it.