Homeless.. Ethical straw poll here. Thanks x

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    if i see someone that is homeless i buy them food. i never give money personally but thats just me. i had a time once when a "homeless man" asked for a sandwich and coffee, when my sister and i ran to the store just across the street to get it for him and come back he wasnt there, we looked for about an hour and gave up. to this day i think he was a fake personally. i also help out at the soup kitchen or with my churches donation places instead so i know it goes to people really needing.

there was a thing on the news that showed the average panhandler around here made 200 + dollars a day (plus meals and other things that some pawned later) and they secretly followed some home and many lived in homes, with cars etc. nice ones too so now i just give food and clothing etc :-)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I think you are an absolutely wonderful, caring person! How wonderful that you care for another human being and are so kind to him. You did the right thing.
  • I love you for doing this.

Sure, there are professional panhandlers out there. But how do I know the difference? So many people are homeless because they have struggled with mental illness, addiction, abuse, and so many other things I'm so grateful not to have had to deal with. And once you have no address, it's pretty hard to apply for a job. Without a job, how do you afford an address? And the cycle continues...

I do prefer to give things rather than money, because I think that's more immediate and helpful.

"I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me"...

I have just sent you a request. My history tells me just how easy that it is to glide that line.... I am certain nobody chooses his life to be that way. I came very close two years ago to losing my grip - by the Grace of God I it didn't happen -I had a family to take me in.. it is only now I am able to talk about the events that lead me to what happened.

He seems quite articulate though, as I am, intelligent - as am I - I wonder what else can be done to save him?
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    It bothers some people to give them money or items and it bothers other people NOT to give them money and items. We need to make ourselves feel better about the world we live in, if that is something that makes you feel happy then do it. Even if the guy is using drugs or booze that doesn't make him any less of a human. So if you feel good doing it, do it.
  • if i see someone that is homeless i buy them food. i never give money personally but thats just me. i had a time once when a "homeless man" asked for a sandwich and coffee, when my sister and i ran to the store just across the street to get it for him and come back he wasnt there, we looked for about an hour and gave up. to this day i think he was a fake personally. i also help out at the soup kitchen or with my churches donation places instead so i know it goes to people really needing.

there was a thing on the news that showed the average panhandler around here made 200 + dollars a day (plus meals and other things that some pawned later) and they secretly followed some home and many lived in homes, with cars etc. nice ones too so now i just give food and clothing etc :-)

You sound incredible!! I'm training from July with my church to be a street pastor (do you have this in the USA?) to help in evening when people are weary and had too much alcohol and just need support.

He really does look poorly, I truly hope I'm not being repeatedly swindled, and I am a bit scared by the follow them home thing.... Hm I'll speak with my minister tomorrow to get his advice.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Id never give money to a homeless person in case they spent it on something stupid like alcohol drugs or expensive coffee but id give somebody a bottle of water and a sandwich no problem
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    God bless you.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    I'm a big fan of what are sometimes called "mana bags". Plastic bags filled with some socks, water bottle, granola bar, other non-perishable food items and some information about local homeless centers. I've every intention of making then, but I have almost zero expendable income right now, so I haven't really gotten around to it. I've had others make them for me though to hand out, and I just keep them in my car to hand out when I see them. They're a great solution to helping them out if you don't want to give out money.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    I usually give them money if I have it. I really don't worry about what they spend it on, because it comes from the heart and a place of giving. I know God sees my heart and my intentions, it's really up to that person as to what they do with it. However I did see a really good idea on Pintrest called Blessing Bags, it was a gallon size Zip Lock Bag with juice (you could even do those juice packets that you add to water), deodorant, apple sauce, crackers, cookies,tylenol,tooth paste,ect). You make up a few and keep them in your car, the next time you see a homeless person you can give them the bag, and not have to worry about having money to give them.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    you're a great person for doing that. the person could just spend the money on drugs, but what if you just truly made a difference in someone's life? :) AND you took the extra step to make sure he had FOOD! that's awesome of you. :)
  • God bless you.

And He you. I am a Christian and I am very happy to accept anyone (whatever faith or none) to share this journey so feel free to add me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I understand your dilema - unfortunately many (not all) homeless people are addicts and unless you know the signs, its really hard to tell which one is and which one is not. I think you totally did the right things and gave him food. That's what I do, especially when they have animals. I commend you on caring and treating him as a real person....for so many people, homeless folks do not even register, or they feel contempt for them. Each homeless person has their own story and unless you know their circumstances, people should not judge. Also, as I mentioned, not all homeless people are addicts and not all are 'crazy's'.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Your not a sap! I generally try to help out when I can. There used to be a guy that sat on the corner with his dog and I could tell he was homeless. Really young guy probably in his 30's. I used to eat breakfast at McDonalds and would always get him something. The one day I noticed he split his sandwich and gave half to the dog. I thought that was so sweet. After that, I used to buy him and dog something.

One day he just stopped being there, maybe he was getting chubby like me. All I know is if I was in that situation I would want someone to help me. Without wanting anything in return. If he used money for alcohol or drugs doesn't concern me because everyone has their vice. Mine was food!
  • I'm a big fan of what are sometimes called "mana bags". Plastic bags filled with some socks, water bottle, granola bar, other non-perishable food items and some information about local homeless centers. I've every intention of making then, but I have almost zero expendable income right now, so I haven't really gotten around to it. I've had others make them for me though to hand out, and I just keep them in my car to hand out when I see them. They're a great solution to helping them out if you don't want to give out money.

That sounds like a great idea. I am going to speak to my Minister tomorrow about this. and see if I can get some funding for the shelters advice... if only that?? better than nothing. I am not rich, if I was my money would be givien to others anyway - I have learned the hard way the world works only by us helping each other - Bless you!!! You may have done a great thing telling me this just now :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    I try to remember that even if the reason for one's homelessness is a drug or alcohol addiction, it's an illness. It's not something they meant to do to themselves. Yes, they should own it and get past it, but I can't really judge. We all have our own demons; I know I do. Thank goodness they don't involve substance abuse. It's a terrible thing.

I think buying the homeless needed items is more helpful than giving them money. You can support someone without potentially supporting or reinforcing their bad behavior. I think you did a wonderful thing and would like to think that I would have done the same (if I were alone; my husband would never allow it...lol). :)
  • I try to remember that even if the reason for one's homelessness is a drug or alcohol addiction, it's an illness. It's not something they meant to do to themselves. Yes, they should own it and get past it, but I can't really judge. We all have our own demons; I know I do. Thank goodness they don't involve substance abuse. It's a terrible thing.

I think buying the homeless needed items is more helpful than giving them money. You can support someone without potentially supporting or reinforcing their bad behavior. I think you did a wonderful thing and would like to think that I would have done the same (if I were alone; my husband would never allow it...lol). :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I usually give them money if I have it. I really don't worry about what they spend it on, because it comes from the heart and a place of giving. I know God sees my heart and my intentions, it's really up to that person as to what they do with it. However I did see a really good idea on Pintrest called Blessing Bags, it was a gallon size Zip Lock Bag with juice (you could even do those juice packets that you add to water), deodorant, apple sauce, crackers, cookies,tylenol,tooth paste,ect). You make up a few and keep them in your car, the next time you see a homeless person you can give them the bag, and not have to worry about having money to give them.

I love this idea, It is really hard for many homeless people to keep up their personal hygiene - and something as simple as toothpaste can have a great long-term impact for them. We often forget about these things we take for granted.

I also love it as there are many times you want to give someone some food when you are in the car and you do not have anything available. Great idea.
  • That is wonderful. Makes me happy to know that there are still people out there who care about others. It does make me a bit sad though because I realize I haven't done anything recently to help someone out who is less fortunate than me. Thanks for the reminder! Have a wonderful weekend!
  • I try to remember that even if the reason for one's homelessness is a drug or alcohol addiction, it's an illness. It's not something they meant to do to themselves. Yes, they should own it and get past it, but I can't really judge. We all have our own demons; I know I do. Thank goodness they don't involve substance abuse. It's a terrible thing.

It is an illness you are so very right, it's progressive, takes it's time..... very few people would happily eat rat poison.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    You are awesome. I will buy food, usually not give cash. We offered a lady food once and she said she'd rather have cash. Needless to say we did not help her. The next older gentleman was more than happy w/ food.
    I also want to take this time to remind everyone here in the states that the National Letter Carriers Association annual food drive is coming up on May 12th, 2012. Please, please give all you can.. The food we as your mail people collect stays locally and helps so many people out. We chose May to stock the local pantries because school will be done soon, and so many children only get to eat at school w/ the hot lunch program. So fill as many grocery bags as you can afford to and leave by your mail boxes on May 12th, your mail person (or a volunteer) will pick it up and make sure it gets to a local food pantry:) Remember no glass items and please non-perishables. Have a great day!!!