Why do people start a sentence with 'So'?

Options
mfp_1
mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
I thought 'so' was supposed to be used in the middle of a a sentence, like this one:
"We ran out of food so we ate the dog's."

Now I see 'so' being used at the start of sentences:
"So I bought a set of food scales yesterday."

I think it's only happened recently. Why is that?

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    So, why do you care?
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I have a guy at work that follows every thought with "So". Drives me insane!!!!
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Because you can...there isn't a grammatical rule that says you can't start a sentence with so. So, it goes.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I have a BA in English. Even I don't give a math about starting a sentence with "so."
  • treetop57
    Options
    So true!
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    So, why do you care?

LMAO!!!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Recently? Like, as in within the last 20 years? Because that's how long I've noticed it.

And before that time I was <6 so I can't really comment. XD

I say it when I'm hinting at something. Like:

"Sooooo, Jessica texted me today. She said she's seeing that jerk, Kyle, again..."

Just sets the tone for the statement.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It's just a thought trailing thing usually people use the word "like" aswell.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,660 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed lately is some people (e.g., the Kardashians) answering a question by starting with, "I mean…"
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    because they want to....
    lol
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't usually but now I kind of feel compelled to do so.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think it makes text speech sound more casual and fluid
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,660 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed lately is some people (e.g., the Kardashians) answering a question by starting with, "I mean…"
    For example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=507ikSb4ZcY
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    better SO than YOU KNOW every other sentence
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I actually do this quite often. Never given it much thought though until now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Wait. What? Now this is another rule? Oh, FFS.
  • treetop57
    Options
    In the beginning, people put "so" at the beginning of sentences:
    Genesis 2:

21.  So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place.

Genesis 3:

24.  So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Genesis 4:

3. So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground.
    5. . So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell.
    15.  So the LORD said to him, "Therefore whoever kills Cain, vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD appointed a sign for Cain, so that no one finding him would slay him.

Genesis 5:

5.  So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died.
    8.  So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.
    11.  So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.
    14.  So all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.
    17.  So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years, and he died.
    20.  So all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years, and he died.
    23.  So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.
    27.  So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years, and he died.
    31.  So all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy-seven years, and he died.

So endth the lesson.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    so .... next topic!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    When used at the beginning of a sentence, "so" is mostly just a filler word, similar to "Well", "Um," "Er," "Like," "I mean," "You know," etc. It tells the listeners we have something to say, while giving the speaker time to gather his or her thoughts & figure out how best to say it.
    For example:
    "Well, um, er, so, I just up and told him that it wasn't really big enough to be ugly."

"So" can also be used at the beginning of a sentence to imply that some piece of introduction has been omitted, and the listener is going to be "dropped into the middle of the action."
    For example:
    "So, there I was; standing in the middle of the city's busiest intersection at 4 am; wearing nothing but Chanel No. 5, a hot pink feather boa, and a pair of hip waders."

(Or did you mean your question rhetorically? :ohwell: )
  • treetop57
    Options
    "So, there I was; standing in the middle of the city's busiest intersection at 4 am; wearing nothing but Chanel No. 5, a hot pink feather boa, and a pair of hip waders."

So what happened next?