Why do people start a sentence with 'So'?

Options

Replies

• hollyjane77
    hollyjane77 Posts: 147
    Options
    So... I'm not sure, but I do it all the time.
  • charneus
    charneus Posts: 66
    Options
    I so lol-ed, Wingman!
    Thanks man, glad someone got it.

In my defense, I'm doped up on pain meds and I actually did catch it much later. :P
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start a sentence with so, my neighbor says, "So, sew some buttons on your underwear!" :) It makes me laugh:laugh:
    and reminds me that its just a silence filler.
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    In my defense, I'm doped up on pain meds and I actually did catch it much later. :P
    That's cool my friend. You could share some of them pain pills (just kidding)... It is past bed time and I am so wide awake.
    Glass of wine didn't phase me.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options

"So, there I was; standing in the middle of the city's busiest intersection at 4 am; wearing nothing but Chanel No. 5, a hot pink feather boa, and a pair of hip waders."
    Yeah, but you gotta admit, that was SUCH a great party!!

So, um, how did that work out with that car load of frat boys, anyway?
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Because if people didn't start a sentence with "So", others wouldn't have anything new to complain about.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options

"So, there I was; standing in the middle of the city's busiest intersection at 4 am; wearing nothing but Chanel No. 5, a hot pink feather boa, and a pair of hip waders."

So, I am telling you *what* - those frat boys were something else again!
    (Well, at least until we ran out of Miracle Whip...)
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Why do people start ridiculous threads?
    Why is the sky blue?
    Why does my dog''s poo smell like...
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options

So they can giggle at the ridiculous answers ...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, people put "so" at the beginning of sentences:
    Genesis 2:

21.  So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place.

Genesis 3:

24.  So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Genesis 4:

3. So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground.
    5. . So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell.
    15.  So the LORD said to him, "Therefore whoever kills Cain, vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD appointed a sign for Cain, so that no one finding him would slay him.

Genesis 5:

5.  So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died.
    8.  So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.
    11.  So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.
    14.  So all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.
    17.  So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years, and he died.
    20.  So all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years, and he died.
    23.  So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.
    27.  So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years, and he died.
    31.  So all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy-seven years, and he died.

So endth the lesson.

You sir have taught me something new today. So I reported you for abuse
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options

So they can giggle at the ridiculous answers ...

You're soooooo right! :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    So, I came into this thread and sooooo laughed my butt off!!! So, thanks for the laughs!!!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    WingMan380
    So there I was, riding my bike down the highway with a cute chick on the back with her long sexy legs wrapped around my waist.

That position I'd like to see. Did her legs get in the way of the handlebars?
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, I do that ALL THE TIME.

I think it's because I've been thinking about what I'm going to talk about for a while already. I start talking because I want to tell you about what I've been thinking, and saying "so..." at the beginning kind of indicates this? And gives me a place to begin?

I've noticed that I do it a lot, and I'm aware that it's not exactly correct, but it helps me get my thoughts collected so I can write them out on the page or out in the world as I speak, so I figure it's not too bad of a thing if it helps me. Sorry if it bugs you, everyone!!! :P
  • Tudrase
    Tudrase Posts: 55
    Options
    So what was the outcome of this thread?
  • havetubawilltravel
    havetubawilltravel Posts: 649 Member
    Options

So, I am telling you *what* - those frat boys were something else again!
    (Well, at least until we ran out of Miracle Whip...)
    So, don't you just hate it when you run out of Miracle Whip and there's still jalapenos????
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So I just ... like ... farted.... just sayin'
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I do this and have been trying to stop....I think it's to get the attention of whomever you are talking to. If you start with "So", they are then actively listening and don't miss the first part of what you are saying... Ideally.
  • javajunki
    javajunki Posts: 32
    Options
    Because "This totally random thought has been bouncing around in my head and I can't think of a way to segway it into this conversation any other way,,,So" is too long.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ^^ this ^^