When your friends eat a LOT of CRAP

Options

Replies

• leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What about if your friends happen to be your roommates and like to have communal dinner together? What happens if the same people who eat greasy/oily/salty food always cook such dinner and you have no choice but to eat them? How can you keep rejecting their offer when they ask, "Joining us for dinner at the dinner table later?"
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You just say no. If they keep guilting you try having a conversation with them one on one and saying, 'I don't mind what you eat but I dont want to eat it with you'. If they keep guilting you - get new friends.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I understand. Just last week an overweight friend of mine literally put Cheetos in my mouth while I was talking. I was just like, "uh... okay, I'll eat this one, but I don't really like these anymore." Awkward.
  • Mammoth1234
    Options
    We all have friends like this... Literally just finished my blog about it! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Mammoth1234/view/mammoth-vs-wine-238319

Which is about my utter fail at attempting to resist delicious fatty food. So I'm really not one to give advice.

I don't think you (well, either of us really) need to be aggressive or confrontational about it, just say from the outset, "I'm trying to eat healthy atm, I know you think I'm being daft, but please don't tempt me with all your icecream and everything! I'm not as thin as you!" Keep it jokey but hopefully they'll get the hint.

However I have no willpower, so I'm considering making up a disease... Like SAYING I have diabetes when I don't (tempting fate much?) so then they'll feel actively guilty eating junk food around me.

On reflection that is a bit of an insane step to take, but it might be worth it...
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Throw 'em under a bus. :wink:
  • ahipsher
    ahipsher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my roommate. d:

It *has* caught up with her belly, though. It always does!

I just try to never come back hungry and make sure that I always have my own food in the fridge (with my name on it, of course).
  • ahipsher
    ahipsher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem with my boyfriend's family.

His mother gets really offended if I only take a very small portion/don't finish everything on my plate/or if I go with, "I already ate, I'm not that hungry!"
    But, y'know, if you didn't cook with so much salt and butter, I might eat more of it. It's just very awkward. She's very, very overweight, and she perceives it as a judgement of her cooking/lifestyle/her personally.

But really it's just me looking out for my waistline (and heart!).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can't just say I don't like that and leave it? They're trying to force you to eat food you don't even like?
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    they might not be overweight but are they healthy? It does not sound like proper nutrition AT ALL!!! Since they try to pressure you so much, pressure them a little into keeping their own food diaries so they can see for themselves how many calories, fats, & sodium they are putting into their bodies. I bet they would be shocked!

That's a really good point...maybe they need a lil help realizing what they're actually eating!! Just because they aren't gaining weight doesnt mean they aren't causing other issues with that crap :noway:
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem with my boyfriend's family.

His mother gets really offended if I only take a very small portion/don't finish everything on my plate/or if I go with, "I already ate, I'm not that hungry!"
    But, y'know, if you didn't cook with so much salt and butter, I might eat more of it. It's just very awkward. She's very, very overweight, and she perceives it as a judgement of her cooking/lifestyle/her personally.

But really it's just me looking out for my waistline (and heart!).

Oh my! We are in the same boat then. It's so hard to tell my roommate that his cooking is actually unhealthy. He kept claiming, "I think our meal in this house is quite healthy. We have veggies, fruits, meats, and even brown rice." O.o Yeah .... but all those salt and oil? When I commented on how much oil he put in the frying pan, he went, "Nah ... it's not that much at all." I could TASTE the sodium in my mouth that my lips dried. O.o How's that "healthy"?

If I do not eat with them, I'm seen as an anti-social-person-refusing-to-fellowship-with-roommate. If I eat, my body get all screwed up and all my workout goes to drain. O.o
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My friends don't do this to me, they know the struggle I have been through. I also have a fat picture stored into my phone and when I am asked why I show them and tell them to back off. I had to pull it out a lot at christmas. It is actually my family who tells me I am good enough so eat what I want and do what I want now that I have lost the weight.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't struggle with their weight (high metabolism). They eat horrible and still remain skinny! My husband is like that. When I eat like him, I gain it overnight, not kidding!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    You can't just say I don't like that and leave it? They're trying to force you to eat food you don't even like?

if i just said `i dont like that` then i wouldnt have had to write out this thread hahaha honestly they are badgers and i cant be around them without them offering chips/cookie/key lime pie to me even though ive said countless times

I DONT EAT THATTTTTTTT
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    simply tell them NO and explain to them that they can eat what ever they want, but you don't want to eat that stuff, so please stop trying to get me to eat it.

If they don't listen, you may need to distance yourself from them...friends don't put pressure on you.

Good luck!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Here is what typical meals for three of my friends looks like: An entire sleeve of Lorna Doone shortbread cookies, 5 slices of triple pepperoni buffaque (buffalo and bbq) chicken pizza from dominoes, and an ENTIRE FAMILY-SIZED BAG OF FUNYUNS (dinner)

A roll of uncooked cookie dough ice cream, a family-sized bag of cheetos, two cannolis, and two huge st. pattys day cupcakes WITH a shamrock shake (that was just dessert...after steak and potatoes)

My other friend even deep fried a big mac, wrapped it in bacon, and *gag* ate the entire thing. Oh, and heres the kicker: NONE OF THEM ARE OVERWEIGHT WHATSOEVER. :noway:

I love my friends so much, but it makes me uncomfortable when I am eating a salad and they are eating junk. The problem is that they pressure me to eat with them a LOT, saying things like ~just try it, whats it going to do to you~. Believe me, I LOVE TO EAT, but eating junky does not appeal to me. I just dont LIKE eating uncooked cookie dough but they try to guilt me into eating it (you go to the gym everyday, you always eat healthy, etc.). Its gotten to the point where I made up fake food allergies just so they could stop shoving their cheesecake down my throat.

I know a little junk cant hurt, I just hate the way it makes me feel. I dont know what to tell them anymore, eating out with them is always uncomfortable because they always make me feel GUILTY for eating healthy. What can I say to them to make them just back off?!?!:explode:

I have found the best response to be that "Oh.. it looks good and I wish I could but my stomach has been on strike and when I eat like that I usually spend the rest of the night on the toilet..... sure wish I could, but I better not" :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

if i just said `i dont like that` then i wouldnt have had to write out this thread hahaha honestly they are badgers and i cant be around them without them offering chips/cookie/key lime pie to me even though ive said countless times

I DONT EAT THATTTTTTTT

"I don't eat that" is not the same as "I don't like that."

I don't like mushrooms. When I tell people I don't like mushrooms, they don't try to convince me to eat them. I never say, "I don't eat mushrooms."
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Less is more when dealing with someone else's behavior. Don't explain or give long treatises on your likes and dislikes or diet. Just say, "nah" or "no thanks". They will ask again....smile and shake the head. Redirect by changing the subject, if possible.

The thing is, resistance sparks more resistance. There are no magic words. So "no thanks" is best. Although folks certainly make different food choices....your friend *knows* a family size bag of funyins is bad! So there is no "good" answer...anything you say will make her defensive because she already feels a little guilty. (because really, when I am truly enjoying myself without guilt? I don't *want* you to share it. More for me! :tongue: )

If you refuse to engage, consistently, then over time, she'll stop asking. Trust me.

This is very good advice I think.
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    You just need to be honest with them. Let them know how hard you have to work to maintain a good and healthy weight. That the whole process is difficult and that they aren't being good supportive friends. Let them know that the junk food actually makes your body sick and just plain uncomfortable. Sounds like they feel guilty that they're junking out while your eating healthy and it's easier for them to get you to try something bad than it is for them to try something healthy that both of you know they would actually like.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

My other friend even deep fried a big mac, wrapped it in bacon, and *gag* ate the entire thing.

Is it wrong that I want to try this now?
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    They don't need to know (nor do they care why you aren't eating the crap) so here's a great response.

No - Thank you for asking though (period).

And repeat as necessary.

I don't try to defend what I do, make it seem okay to them for some reason. I figure reasoning with them is like reasoning with a drunk - just ain't gonna happen.