BIG beer guy here

Options

Replies

• TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The last time I went home was for beer fest. I knew I wouldn't be able to resist trying every one of the 363 beers on offer at least once, and I knew I couldn't do all that and have food. So I chose the beer. I stayed full and energized, and although I know I went over my calorie allowance every day, I lost a few pounds anyway. Beer - real ale - is a remarkable thing.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love beer, but I like light beer. So it is alittle bit easier. I refuse to give up alcohol, this is my life and I want to live it. I'm glad there are people out there that have similiar obstacles.

I would love to be friends and offer each other support if your interested send me a request.

Good luck in your journey.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey Ding...glad you added me! I live in England too so I totally understand that it's just not practical to want to give up the pints with your mates and don't think you need to!! It's all about balance which is tough for all of us to do (more so when past the 40 mark)! Believe me I would never be able to give up my social life which involves drinking with friends! I do have to get my shoes on and get out the door to put in some exercise to balance it all out!! Good luck and glad you joined MFP, it's really been great for me,
  • bechtel1979
    Options
    i understand your background on beer, im german and sweede. i had to give up beer and many other things that i loved. now im a coach and a trainer and love my new love which is healthy foods, supplements, and exercise.have a fantastic day, happy to see you here.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I allow myself a bad day once a week, and that one day I drink beer. Usually it's Miller Lite because if I'm fishing or hanging out a camp, it's cheap and easy to find. Plus the Budlighters stay away from it. Usually when I have a good expensive beer they all want a taste.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Any other big beer lovers out there on MFP?

Yup. Not gonna quit drinking to lose weight. But I will have to pick up he cardio to burn off those extra calories. Being tipsy on an elliptical is kinda fun though, so it works out :drinker:
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I think the next beer I'll buy is either some Buffalo Sweat or Boddington's.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i love beer. so, so, so much. unfortunately, there are so many carbs in it i have to save the beer drinking for special occasions (i'm on a low-carb diet per my doctor). and light beer tastes like death to me.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    images7.jpg
    Hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm...............................Beeeeeeeeeer!!!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    If you have gone 30 years needing beer on a daily basis maybe you should try something like AA. Sounds like an addiction to me.

That was very rude!

Agree!
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I love wine. And I also like to drink socially. Alcohol is a regular part of my diet. I am learning to make room for the calories. It's not always easy, but I do so I can relax in the evenings. I work part time and have 2 kids and a husband. I work very hard in all aspects of life. If I want to indulge in my wine, I will. I do know the weight would come of faster without it, but it's ok. I have learned to snack on raw veggies and things like that to fill me up and keep my calories reasonable.

Cheers!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Beer lover and homebrewer here. I feel you pain.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    I'm a country girl. I love my beer, but I don't drink anything like what you're talking about, lol. I'm strictly a Coors Light girl, and they can be seen on my food diary quite frequently. There is absolutely nothing wrong with responsible drinking, and I don't recommend giving up things you love at all. It only sets you up to binge later, and I don't know about anyone else, but this weight loss journey for me is all about learning moderation and still being able to enjoy the things I love.
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love beer! I don't drink one every day, but I have several each week. I had five yesterday and still met my calorie goal. One of the reasons I exercise as much as I do, is so I can indulge my beer habit. Oh yeah, I started brewing my own beer last year. :drinker:

One thing I've noticed about beer since joining MFP is the difference in calories in different beers. DIPA's have a lot of calories! Yesterday I was drinking St. Patrick's Day special drafts and the calories were on the low side. Harp Lager, and a couple of Dry Irish Stouts. Work hard and enjoy your beer! Cheers!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Firstly I never said that I drank on a daily basis (or that I 'needed' it), and secondly I'm an Englishman so have a VERY different cultural reference for alcohol when compared to your average, puritanical American!

Well, not all of us are descended from the Puritans, who by the way came from England ; )

I drink little mostly because alcoholism runs in my family, and I don't function well after even a couple of drinks. I do enjoy a good drink, now and then, though.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Never gave up my weekend beers.. but did switch to MGD 64.. lower carb / cals. And also logg it and allow for cals.. usually have to work in a cardio workout to allow for the extra cals. But I will never give up the brew. lol.. I would give up food if I had to allow for the extra drinking cals on a Friday or Saturday. So.. I am with you.. like the beer. Weekends only though for me. :drinker:
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Firstly I never said that I drank on a daily basis (or that I 'needed' it), and secondly I'm an Englishman so have a VERY different cultural reference for alcohol when compared to your average, puritanical American!

Not all of us feel that way, I, for one, LOVE beer. I do, however, drink light, Much luck! :drinker:
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beer as well. I dont drink any beer Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. Ocasionally on Thursdays I might have a few. But, on Fridays and Saturdays I usually have my fair amount. Not even going to say how many but, I definately go over my calorie amount for the day. But, I don't let it get me too down. I pick it back up on Monday. I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose so, I am not going to cut it out of my diet. But, my fiance is going to be working out of town for 4 months :( So, I probably wont be drinking much at all. So, this will be good for me. Hopefully I will then lose that "beer weight" But, I wish you the best of luck. :)
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    If you have gone 30 years needing beer on a daily basis maybe you should try something like AA. Sounds like an addiction to me.

Wow, wow, wow!
  • mrselanco2268
    mrselanco2268 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ding, I think that it is great that you are discovering a way to fit in the beverage that you have enjoyed for the past 30 years. As various ones have stated previously that as long as you are not drinking beer excessively then you can still remain on track. That is why I am here because I have indulged and binged for years when it comes to food and have struggled with my weight for the past 22 years. I am learning how to enjoy the foods that I like without giving up everything. I have added activity as well. For me this is a lifestyle not a quick fix. I wish you the best. :happy: