Sick of Lean Cuisine :-( Food suggestions for one person?

Options
Hi all!

Just wondering if ya'll had any suggestions on some quick and easy meals for me to prepare for myself? Im home alone in the evenings and cant seem to find anything thats worth cooking just for one. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would love to know the same thing as well!!
  • sarahvive
    sarahvive Posts: 11
    Options
    I like to make what I call a "taco bowl". Heat a can of your favorite kind of bean, top with cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, whatever you like to put on tacos. Serve with a soft tortilla or corn chips on the side. The beans are filling, the meal is cheap, and it takes very little time to cook. You could also add cooked rice.
  • the_energy
    Options
    Hope I'm not stating obvious here but this is what I do... Pasta with low fat pesto, a simple salad and some cheese on top. Savoury rice with frankfurter sausages (50 cals each!) 1 burrito wrap made same as chilli burrito but replace beef with lentils/chicpeas and have plenty of spice and salad (and sour cream). Jacket potato, sour cream to fluff the inside (better than butter) and whatever you want to fill it. I usually pierce the potato, 10 minutes in micro, 10 minutes on grill for crispyness, with beans and cheese.

:) cant think of anything else at the mo!
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tuna.....Oatmeal.......fruit......idk???
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do you not like leftovers? You can make a batch of something and divide into individual servings so you have some go to things in the evening.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about making my own freezer meals lately.. like taking a whole Sunday just to prepare and freeze my own homemade meals in single size portions for easy lunches .. just haven't gotten around to it yet!
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    Great Idea! It's just in my blood to cook for an army. Guess thats why its hard for me to see the obvious things such as oatmeal and salad lol
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I just make a big easy crock pot meal on Sunday (or overnight) and eat it all week. It gets boring by Thursday haha but it works I guess.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interestes to see the ideas.
  • shell3986
    shell3986 Posts: 98
    Options
    I live by myself, so I'm always making dinner just for me :) I make chicken wraps alot. I use Tumalo Low-Carb wraps (60 calories), fat free shredded cheese (45 cals for 1/4 cup) and I buy precooked chicken (I get the Tyson Grilled Chicken Strips, each serving is 100 cals). All you have to do is heat up the chicken in the mircowave, put it in the wrap and put the cheese on top! So good for only around 200 cals. You could add veggies too, I'm just not a vegtable fan. You could also substitute the chicken for tuna or lean deli meat. Other things I buy are Lean Pockets, Healthy Ones frozen dinners and like you already mentioned, Lean Cuisine. Pita pockets are good also and can be made just like the wraps.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like cooking meals then freezing the rest for another day. Saves time and money.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    Options
    I live by myself, so I'm always making dinner just for me :) I make chicken wraps alot. I use Tumalo Low-Carb wraps (60 calories), fat free shredded cheese (45 cals for 1/4 cup) and I buy precooked chicken (I get the Tyson Grilled Chicken Strips, each serving is 100 cals). All you have to do is heat up the chicken in the mircowave, put it in the wrap and put the cheese on top! So good for only around 200 cals. You could add veggies too, I'm just not a vegtable fan. You could also substitute the chicken for tuna or lean deli meat. Other things I buy are Lean Pockets, Healthy Ones frozen dinners and like you already mentioned, Lean Cuisine. Pita pockets are good also and can be made just like the wraps.

Mmmmmm chicken wraps! Good thinkin'
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? I used to do the Lean Cuisine, Weight Watcher's, etc., but since I started using a crockpot, now I come home to a homemade, hot meal, ready to eat and I know exactly what's in it. I get several meals out of each dish plus leftovers that I put in the freezer for a later date. It's awesome!! Crockingirls.com is a great website and they're also on Facebook.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Here's a bunch of recipes that I plan to make up this week... they are designed for quart size mason jars but if you halve the amount used it'd be appropriate for a pint jar which should make dinner and lunch the next day for one with no problems

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.ca/2011/04/emergency-preparedness-and-everyday.html

I like them as it's the full meal in one jar / container instead of one jar for one part and a can of something else to be added.
  • ensoleille
    Options
    Going to uni in a few months, I'm used to cooking for 6 so it'll be hard to get out of the habit!
    I was planning on just cooking the same amount and putting it in portion-sized containers in the freezer.
    :)
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    TastyBites Lentil Soup from Costco. They come in individual packets, microwave ready and delish!!! And if you have a Trader Joes near you, they have a terrific eggplant parm. Good luck!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Do you not like leftovers? You can make a batch of something and divide into individual servings so you have some go to things in the evening.

This is my suggestion. I cook big meals, even when it's just me and my 6 year old. I usually end up making one cooked dinner into several meals...my son and I each eat a serving for dinner, and there's always a serving for my hubby to take to work, and almost always 1-2 servings left besides that. Then my meals make extra meals for me when I'm the only one home for the next meal too. Just plan ahead, and make things you wouldn't mind having for the next couple of days. Or as someone said, take a Sunday (or whatever day is convenient for you), and cook up, portion out, and freeze meals for the week. Then you can grab something out of the freezer and heat it up when you're ready for it. Plus, that's gonna be better than eating Lean Cuisine all the time. I like Lean Cuisine when I'm running behind or what ever, but they are packed full of sodium.
  • simplebeauty
    simplebeauty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I pre-make my salads...spinach, lettuce, carrots, celery, green onion...and I put them into mason jars (takes up less room in the fridge) and then I also have pre-cooked chicken strips (not deep fried ones) that heat up quickly, or I cook 4 chicken breasts the first day...they stay good for up to 3 days in fridge, and then poof...lunch or dinner.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    These are my favourite 'healthy' dinners - and I'm no chef:

Chicken breast grilled or fried (with 0 calorie fry-light spray) with nandos sauce on
    Salmon fillet
    Fishcakes
    Birds eye boil in the bag fish

And then I will have a side with this such as new potatoes, sweet potato mash, vegetables, butternut squash, parsnip and carrot mash etc.

Or I buy fresh filled pasta - tortellini and have half a pack with a fresh pasta sauce that is more spicy tomato based rather than creamy.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    Options
    Sound like the crockpot and a little bit of planning will help me out a lot!