Sick of Lean Cuisine :-( Food suggestions for one person?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Last week, I had many pounds of chicken breast that was getting close to the use-by date, and cooked up the whole bunch of it in the oven. Just sprinkled on a little black pepper and baked it. Then all week, all I had to do was chop up a breast, and do... whatever with it. Sometimes in a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese, salsa and lettuce, microwaved just long enough to melt the cheese. Sometimes with brown minute rice, oriental blend veggies (from a frozen bag) stir-fried with a little teriyaki sauce. With some Italian blend veggies, lemon garlic marinade, some pasta and feta cheese. Etc.

Chicken, veggies, marinade or sauce to go with it, and rice or pasta. That's pretty much my formula for every meal, but sooooo easy with the chicken pre-cooked.

And by the way, for a really yummy and high protein creamy sauce, plain greek yogurt mixed with lemon-garlic marinade or buffalo sauce is AWESOME!!!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...To read later...I am a single mom with a 3yr old...It's hard to cook just for 1 1/2 people...I like some of the ideas I saw on here so far....Glad someone asked this question..Thanks for sharing... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Make large pots of soup or chili and freeze in individual containers, then have that with a salad or sandwich. I also like to make meat in large amounts, like ground turkey or chicken. Grill it up then add rice, pasta, etc..
  • mleboid1
    mleboid1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    find a co-worker or a few and share the load. everyone makes a meal on sunday, puts it into individual containers for everyone in your group and brings them to work on monday. that way, you only cook once, but have a variety of home-cooked meals for the week.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    You guys rock! Great advice!
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    I would suggest cooking up loads of food one day of the week (say Sunday if you do nothing those does) then freezing the meals and eating them through-out the week. However, if you prefer eating fresh (and quick easy to cook food) then fishcakes with salad/veggies, buy some cheap meat that you can stir fry (or pre-cook then stir fry) with veggies (peppers etc) and spices&herbs. Put a stew on in the morning before you leave for work (assuming you work days) and by the time you get home it should be ready to just add some seasoning and dish up. Risotto's, can add plenty of different meats and veggies into that, or if you are feeling particularly lazy make a fritatta, eggs, potato, plus any veg/meat you like. These are all just off the top of my head and things that I find filling.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking for myself for 17 years. :happy: I try to find recipes that make 2-4 servings, that take less than 1/2 hour to prepare, then I can bring the leftovers for lunches, or heat them up the next night for dinner. As for it not being "worth it" to cook for one person, I disagree: I think you are TOTALLY worth a delicious, fresh cooked meal! :bigsmile:

Just tonight, I cooked a vegetarian Thai curry for myself, and portioned the leftovers into single serving containers that I will bring to work this week for lunches. Yum!

Another advantage of cooking for yourself: you can use it as an opportunity to cook something that your significant other/ roommate/ eating partner doesn't like. Score!
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    What I do is make enough of a pseudo thai curry every Sunday so I can eat it for lunches and supper most of the week. I cook up a zucchini, half an onion, a couple kale leaves,carrots, a potato, eggplant, a couple sweet red peppers, a few tomatoes, 1tbsp olive oil, thai seasoning, pepper flakes, a can of coconut milk, and about 150g of cubed atlantic salmon.
    It makes 10 portions and each portion works out to be a low fat & low salt 300 calories. I serve it over a bed of 1/4 cup of of quinoa, which adds another 50 calorie or so, and top it off with bean sprouts.
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Boil a batch of hard-boiled eggs and store them in the fridge in their shells. Chop one or two eggs up with mustard. Eat with crackers.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I make two meals that can be eaten over several days: Salmon is one. It's delicious hot, room temp and cold from refridgerator. The other is Chile with ground turkey. After cooking I separate it into single portion containers and it reheats very well.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Fried rice -- brown rice, chicken, ground turkey or an egg, veggies, soya sauce.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Tangy Lime Grilled Top Round Steak: http://goo.gl/1fA8x

Divide all the portions for ingredients by 4 if you are cooking for 1. I made this for myself last weekend in less than 30 minutes. Paired my steak with half a cup of red beans straight from the can. Yummy.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Alright, I do and have done a ton of cooking for one person (sometimes without access to a refrigerator or freezer... o.O), but I don't mind repeat things. Here are some of the things I've done:

Lentils: They cook fast so you can make these every day (unlike beans which take longer and I'd be more inclined to cook a batch for multiple days), and there is a variety of ways you can season them.

Burritos: The simplest is to just take a can of refried beans, some tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory Smart and Delicious ones), and optionally some cheese and hot sauce, but there are a lot of recipes out there for some good tortillas you can cook (in particular there are these black bean and butternut squash burritos which are just great). They're portable, so they're good for lunch or dinner.

Pureeing 1/4 cup of squash with various vegetables (I started this with frozen spinach) and a little parmesean cheese, which can go in or on anything, including proteins or more vegetables (I started this on roasted broccoli).

One of the first things I would do for dinner would be to have two pieces of toast with sliced hardboiled eggs on top, covered in salsa (I found a morroccan one which was amazing.). Added a side of fruit.

Mixed drained frozen spinach, yogurt (a thin plain one), and garlic salt.

Make a base of a can of tomato (drained or not) and garlic and onions sauteed in olive oil, add anything. Chicken, boiled eggs, beans, mushrooms, tofu, eggplant. Add various spice combinations while sauteeing the garlic and onions (cumin and cayenne pepper, perhaps some oregano; cumin, coriander and cinnamon; cumin and coriander; parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and potentially a little cumin.).

Some things are versatile, easy to portion and always good: Tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, frozen vegetables (especially spinach).
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese inspired dishes are great for small volume cooking. All you need is a little bit of prep. I like eating Pho-type soups, rice noodles, vegetable broth with tons of raw veggies on top and cooked meat inside.,

Sunday is a good day to do this prep:

Soak some rice noodles in hot water, drain and keep in the fridge.

Julienne a whole bunch of veggies - red/green peppers, onions, carrots, cilantro, broccoli, beans, etc. All the greens you'd like to pile on top of your soup. Throw in a tupperware and keep in the fridge.

In another container, you can put cooked chicken, tofu, shrimp, fish or beef, and either freeze in baggies or put in the fridge.

Keep some low sodium stock on hand. When you get home, throw some stock in a pot, put in a couple slices of ginger, a lime leaf if you have it, some lime juice, chili sauce and heat through. In a bowl, throw a handful of your soaked noodles, cooked meat, julienned vegetables, and pour your stock on top. Insanely low calorie, filling, and full of flavour. It only takes as long to prepare as it does to heat your stock, then you're eating in 10 minutes.

Also, you can take a rice paper wrapper, soak in water for 30 seconds, and fill with the same fillings. Make a lime/chili dip and you have a nice light supper.

12854723.png
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Prep a ton of food and just heat up single servings when your hungry.

2 hand fulls for veggies
    1 hand full for meats
    1/2 hand full of nuts/dried fruit
    1 thumb of oil/butter

I like to make large amounts and stock up my fridge for easy eats. Its just me and my BF and we dont always get to eat together so its convenient.

I like to prep pasta, chicken, roasted veggies, and egg cups (you can msg me for the recipe). Also boiled eggs are really convenient to have on hand.

Instant oat meal and cereal is great for a snack or a meal.

Protein powder is great. A protein packed smoothie is a simple 1 person meal.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something called MyFitFoods. Perfect for one person. They may have something like it in your area.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    I make a salad with lots of fresh veggies and keep it in one of those "stay fresh" containers. It actually lasts all week and keeps really good. Tonight I made spagetti sauce. I am going to have spagetti on whole wheat pasta and salad for supper. Spagetti sauce is hard to make in small batches so I will freeze 4 or 5 individual servings. In my freezer right now you will find homemade veg/beef soup, chili, tatertot hotdish, beef stew, taco meat, individual mini lasagna, swedish meatballs (starting to wonder why I made that sauce tonight?) . I had to learn to freeze things cuz I like to cook and I like healthy fresh homemade food. Best investment I ever made... food saver. Food will last a long time in food saver bags.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I get the chicken breast that are individually wrapped and use my Gorge Grill :-) I love steamers....I will make mill in about 30 minutes....I also like the individually wrapped tolopia....Tuna is another :-)
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    And I like a good protein shake with fruit at times :-)
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do you not like leftovers? You can make a batch of something and divide into individual servings so you have some go to things in the evening.

I just made myself some Chicken Burgers. Add chopped peppers, mushrooms, and onion to ground chicken or ground turkey, season to taste. Make into 4-6 patties. These are so yummy! My husband is not "dieting" but commented that whatever I was cooking smelled delicious. I had already fixed his dinner and he was a little jealous...lol. I had gastric bypass 7 months ago and learned that even though I have to fix "special" meals for myself, I should not give up flavor and I should make my meals as pleasing as possible.