Best Protein Powder

Options

Replies

• aray1107
    aray1107 Posts: 75
    Options
    Dream Protein- Vanilla

I think it's about $40- I get a discount because I work at a place that sells it.

I just mix it with milk in one of those blender bottles- tastes good!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    IMO I really love the Super Advanced Body Fortress Whey Isolate Vanilla Creme. You can get it at Walmart and it's $22 for 2 lbs which I think is a decent price since it lasts me about a month. But there's probably better ones out there you can get on Bodybuilding.com or something. Body Fortress works for me.

Edit:
    Taste - 10/10 (with milk, I haven't tried it with water)
    Value - 8.5/10
    Effectiveness - 9/10 (for almost immediate soreness relieving and no digestive issues, but I haven't had it quite long enough to comment on the gain effects)

This is what I use. I really like it as well. It is only about $15 for 2 lbs in my area. I HAVE tried it with water and I can gulp it down but it is for sure better with milk.
    I agree with the muscle soreness....It seems to be very effective in that area.
    I've been using it pretty regularly since Jan. as far as the gains go...not sure as I am really just starting to focus on more strength training right now and of course, being a girl that is going to be totally different for me.
    BUT, I do really like this powder.
    ETA: I just realized that the person I quoted was talking about the whey ISOLATE powder... The $15 price is for the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder not the isolate....I don't use the isolate I use the regular protein pwder.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Anybody here try Jillian Michaels protein powder? What do you think of it?
  • msracefan
    msracefan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to the Body By Vi Shake Mix in January 2011 and it's great. I've lost 17lbs since I started taking it and 15 inches. The Shake Mix taste great; the Shake Mix that Tastes like Cake Mix. Theres plenty of nutritional benefits for people that want to lose weight and gain lean muscle. I take two shakes a day and it cost $99 per month. I love the shake so much i've started promoting it; you can visit my site https://brendawallace1.myvi.net/ to get more information :D
    I also love the Visalus Shake Mix! I am not a Promotor for Visalus, just a customer. I am having a shake right now that tastes like a Butterfinger!
  • HealthierHappierBrenda
    Options
    @Msracefan Yummy, I still haven't tried the butter finger, but i heard it's really good!!! And yaayyy I love meeting other people on the challenge, I'm almost done my first 90 day and going to start another one :D Feel free to add me as a friend and we can share the challenge together!!!
  • Orvett
    Orvett Posts: 83
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition also. I like the vanilla. Tastes good with milk or almond milk (less calories).
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellymill2
    Options
    I like Almased. I mix it with 2% milk and strawberries and cinnamon. very tasty.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Anybody here try Jillian Michaels protein powder? What do you think of it?

I have her Chocolate powder but I won't buy it again for a few reasons....compare the lable with the Body Fortress brand.
    First, I compared the size of the scoops in the two powders...they are the exact same size.
    Second this is the comparison of 1 scoop of powder:
    JM: 100 cals 2g fat 7g carbs. 3g sugar 15g protein
    Body Fortress( I only have the vanilla on hand right now to compare):
    140 cals 2g fat 3g carbs 1g sugar 26g protein
    So for just 40 more cals yo get 10 more grams of protein but less carbs and less sugar.
    Which less sugar is what I am looking for because I mix it with fruit to make smoothies.
    I just think for the amount of powder you are using it makes sene that you would want more protein in that scoop because as I mentioned the scoops are the same size so you are using the same amount of powder but you get more for your money with the Body Fortress in my opinion.
    Also if you look at theJM label it is actually the Pure Protein brand
    BUT JM has Stevia extract where BF uses sucralose.
    This is just my opinon though. :smile: Take it as you like.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I use Designer Whey 100 calorie in both chocolate and vanilla. It's like 10 bucks from trader joes. I like it, but I put it in things, not just protein drinks usually. It's like 18 grams of protein for 100 calories, and low sugar/carb...works for me!
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard, helped me out definitely as far as muscle soreness. The only thing that changed in my supplements was that I started using this protein powder , diet and everything else pretty much the same, and I've seen pretty good gains.
    Taste: 9/10. Love it with milk, with water it's good, not as good as with milk but it's doable. I love the cookies & cream flavor
    Value: 9/10.I once found a 2 lb tub at it's low 20's while looking online. I bought a 5lb tub some 5 weeks ago at 47$ at vitamin shoppe, 77 servings lasts me a while.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    TWINLAB CHOCOLATE SURGE
    1. Tastes real good comparing to soooo many others ive had!
    2. Value $$$ ....on amazon.com you can try a 1lb package for 8-10 or get 5lbs for around $40. If you take 1 scoop/day should last around 65 days...if taking 2 scoops/day it should last a little over a month.
    3. My uncle who is a bodybuilder says for the money the stuff works great. My husband who is trying to gain muscle has tried many protein powders and says this is one of the best. He takes 2 scoops/day and can tell when he doesnt take it he gets sooo sore! the granuals are very fine so it blends easily in a blender bottle with no chunks. where as the stuff ive seen alot of other people like...optimum nutrition stuff tends to get "chunky" when blended in a blender bottle. When i used the optimum nutrition i mixed it with a blender. Another good thing about the protein is it is low in carbs and sugar!

Another good protein powder is muscle milk. the vanilla kinda tastes like a milkshake.
    Reguardless your just going to have to get used to the "protein" taste. they all kinda have that after taste and you have to chug them. your not gonna find an amazing tasting protein powder.
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I make my own on Truenutrition's website. You can specify carbs/protein per serving as well as how sweet/flavors and added vitamins/supplements. Just keep in mind that different types of protein taste different and the less sugar, well, the worse it will taste. Mine had 1.7 fiber, no other carbs, 25.4 protein, 1 fat per scoop. Also put in EAA.

I think it's cheaper to buy the supp/vitamins separate and just go with a bare straight up protein with no fat/carbs and some fiber tossed in. You can buy little flavor mixes that you can add to your drinks to taste. They add carbs, though. It's nice to have options when using the protein to make ice cream or baking some bars.

If you just straight up want protein isolate you can get 105 calories, 26g protein in a 30g scoop with some unsweetened flavor, 2g Fiber, no other carbs, and less than 1g of fat for under $5.50 per 15 servings. It tastes kind of earthy, though. Like... hmm.. RAW's meal supplement that costs a billion dollars at whole foods market. Except it's flavored and way cheaper. Oh, and it's vegan :p

You can add some fiber and lower the protein by a few grams per scoop if you want so that you can get all your fiber easily from just protein alone. :O)

Just make sure you buy in bulk. I get 20 lbs at a time, 10lbs of no carb for ketosis cycle, and then some with more carbs for when I'm not trying to stay in ketosis. You can get a bunch of different flavors. Few lbs here of this and that. Some loaded with casein in it for bed time. Some with more post/pre workout suppls. Think I paid 133 dollars total for 20lbs. 300 servings ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    suggestion: buy 1 or 2 lbs and evaluate before committing to 5 or 10 lbs.

i'm currently using ON Natural Chocolate and it tastes good.
  • njoithomp
    njoithomp Posts: 61
    Options
    My daughter and I both love the Isalean Vanilla and Chocolate Shakes by Isagenix.

So do I! Isagenix is an amazing product!
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i love jillian michaels whey protein powder...triple chocolate. tastes nasty mixing with water...i mix it with my ice coffee...looking for more to mix with...it has helped me alot!
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard Whey, Double Chocolate. You will not be disappointed. 74 servings I believe in the 5 lb tub, 25 grams of protein per scoop, Bcaas and LIV aminos. Sits well on my stomach which is pretty cast iron but in my experience some of these shakes can twirk me a little. And it helps that there's not alot of extra crap and filler in ON. With some milk and ice in a blender, about the closest thing you can get to a milk shake. I usually do mine with water so I can take those milk calories for something else. Even with straight water it's still alright on the palate, and mixes completely and well in a shaker, any shaker, no blender bottle needed. And please ignore any and all "this protein is better than that one" cackles in 2012 if you're going for any decent name brand. As good for you as anything else out there unless you have some moral or unnecessary or otherwise nonsensically, ignorant driven or emotional hangups. The way it's harvested nowadays is about the same, and it's pretty pure regardless, irregardless if the cow was on crack and meth and ate mad cow brains. I heard that BSN was pretty good...I think you have your priorities straight! It's not worth if it's too "ick" to be used regularly or as needed.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    suggestion: buy 1 or 2 lbs and evaluate before committing to 5 or 10 lbs.

i'm currently using ON Natural Chocolate and it tastes good.

That's 2 votes!
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wegmans near you, I like their own brand Natural Whey Protein Powder.
    I get Vanilla and Chocolate. They also have Strawberry.

My objective is weight loss more than bulk/build muscle (right now) so my criteria were:
    - Hi protein for low cals. (Vanilla: 1 scoop, 80 cals, 18 g protein.)
    - Low carbs & sugars: 2g/scoop
    - No artificial sweetener: uses stevia, not sucralose or the others

Also has only .5g (1/2 g) fat. and gluten free, if that's important.

Vanilla Ingredients: Ion-Exchanged, Microfiltered Non-RBGH Whey Protein Isolate (Milk), Non-RBGH Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Natural Vanilla Flavor. Less than 1% of the Following: Carrageenan, Free-Form L-Glutamine (Vegetarian), Stevia, Sunflower Lecithin.

I mix botth with water and ice, and they taste just fine to me.
    I have a vanilla shake for breakfast almost every morning. I add cinnamon (1t), Benefiber (2T) and ground flaxseed (1T).

At night if I'm having a chocolate craving, I'll whip up a shake with the Chocolate.

Comes in 2 sizes: 21 servings: $23. 42 servings: $37.

[ETA pricing]