Push-ups

Options
13»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Some of both. Start in the pushup position (regular pushups) and slowly lower yourself; this builds muscle. Go about 1/2 way and then try to push back up. Even the effort (even if you can't get anywhere) will build your muscle and some day you'll be able to do full pushups.
    After working at that for a few minutes, you can switch to girl pushups and build muscle that way too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Go to

http://hundredpushups.com/

It's a fun easy way to work up to being a pushup badass.

yes! this is how I managed to go from one to 30 push-ups in no time (one month, to be honest :wink: ). I'm almost 46 and this is the first time in my life that I can do more than 5. great plan! Don't do girl's variation, just go step by step with proper one and you'll succeed soon.
    Checked out the site & the plan - I think I'm going to do this! C25k is working for me for running, why not a program for pushups? :bigsmile:

Love improving on & adding things that I can do anywhere (like running and/or pushups), and hoping this will keep me from getting derailed from my workouts when I'm on vacation or away from home and my DVD player!
  • Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can't do regular push-ups (broken big toe, taking it's sweet time to be 'normal' again), so I do girl ones, but with my knees on a box rather than on the floor at the same level as my hands. I can still do more girl ones with my knees on the floor than I can with raised knees, and I feel the raised ones in my triceps more. Can't compare with 'regular' though cos I can't do them! Interesting how changing the various angles at the shoulder seems to work different sets of muscles more or less (if that makes sense! :smile: )
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    "girl" push-ups will get you to the point where you can do real push-ups. You can do some dips too. They will strengthen your arms, shoulders and chest.

if she cant do push ups she deff cant do dips...

I can do dips all day (well at least 100, on the bench, but I can't do a push up to save my life.. there's a flaw in that logic somewhere....
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Just did day 1, level 2, on my knees. Boy I'm weak. By the end of this I want to be able to do at least a few on my toes.
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    good luck
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the correct form though!!!

^^^ this ^^^

I hate seeing the people that plank or do pushups with their *kitten* up in the air like they are doing the "downward dog" stance in yoga!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just did day 1, level 2, on my knees. Boy I'm weak. By the end of this I want to be able to do at least a few on my toes.

Keep it up, my fiancee's doing the same thing. She's working through the program from her knees first and will then do it again from her toes once she completes that.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You can work your way up to doing full pushups using pushups on your knees or wall pushups or inclined pushups, it doesn't really matter. What matters is you do them and push yourself to work up to full pushups.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Quick question, if training for push ups, I see a lot of people say everyday, so does the muscle rest rule not apply here if you you lift regularly. For example, you do an upper body day, can you still do push ups next day without impeding recovery?
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I could barely do five "girl" pushups when I started out. I worked myself up to about 15 girl pushups, every now and then attempting regular pushups until I got to where I could do 2 or 3 regular pushups in a row. And then I went from there.
    I'm currently doing 3 sets of 35 regular pushups as part of my strength training routine now. I don't care long it takes me, but I will keep increasing them until I can do 3 sets of 100.