PCOS and Losing weight

Options
:happy: Anyone out there with PCOS and have difficulty losing weight. Would love to be a mutual support in our trek to weight loss and healthier living. I love this app and the ability to comment on each other's successes, it makes it much more motivating. :happy:

Replies

• salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had small successes with weight loss, its hard but I keep on trying!! Feel free to add me.
  • Larissa26
    Larissa26 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Feel free to add me, its def harder to lose weight but not impossible. :-)
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have been trying for years to lose weight. I have had good success using this program as well as using Metformin (medication). I would be more then happy to help support you. Feel free to add me.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. It's been a struggle, but probably no more than anyone else. After losing weight, I'm on my lowest dosage of metformin, ever. Hoping to get off it soon. When your body gets to a healthy weight w/ lower body fat, the PCOS will likely go away, according to my Dr. Your A1C levels will likely be normal. I never followed any particular diet, just healthier choices, but I've never given up anything I love (i.e. chocolate, beer, wine, bourbon, etc.) I'm on my last 10-15 pounds, which has been the hardest of them all. I think my hormone levels have been messing w/ my metabolism. I've vowed to not weigh myself for March, as I have gone on maintenance for 2 weeks, hoping to kick-start my metabolism to lose again. Best of luck to you!
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I feel your pain. Losing weight is an uphill battle even if all the cards are stacked in your favor and gals like us have to fight for every ounce. With hardwork and dedication, however, it is definitely possible to see significant results. I've lost a little over 100 lbs since 2010. It was difficult (and things like The Biggest Loser where people lose 11lbs a week can be a little discouraging when I've lost 1-2lbs a week for 10 weeks in a row) - but every pound (or half pound) lost is one in the right direction. Good Luck on your weighloss journey. You aren't alone. There are lots of girls with PCOS on here who are very supportive. Take care!
  • amandasnow78
    amandasnow78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have always struggled with my weight. It's hard to lose it. I as well have been using Metformin and it has helped with the cycles. I can feel I have lost inches but the weight is just barely creeping off. Feel Free to add me if you want.
  • Lelez1cutie
    Lelez1cutie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have been struggling since I had my first child. I had an appointment about three weeks ago and recieved some not so good news. So that is why i am here. Im determined to lose this weight!!! Yes it has been harder but im not going to give up. Fill free to add me :)
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS...yes... it's hard - but it's doable... I noticed that with my loss, I'm feeling so much better. Feel free to add me... like others - I don't do a particular diet and I don't give up what I like, but I practice everything in moderation rule and plenty of exercise!

Good luck!
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yep I have it too. I have actually found this time that I have stuck to it religiously and have ensured i have had plenty of carbs too and have lost 24.5lbs in 9 weeks (joined here a week after I started).
    What i have found since i have been on this plan though, is that my periods have gone haywire. Second one 6 weeks into the diet was far heavier than normal and was really quite bad, this period i have been bleeding for 2 and a half weeks but its not been heavy.
    Anyone else found this??
    Anyway ladies feel free to add me!

Leeanne x
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options
    I have many of the symptoms but haven't had an ultrasound to be formally diagnosed. (need to make an appt. with my OBGYN). Anyway, I am having a heck of a time losing weight. I have been trying and on MFP for 10 weeks and have only lost 9 pounds. Would love for any of you to add me and help me figure out how to conquer this beast!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yep I do too... would love to have some new friends that are facing the same issues, feel free to add me :)
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for 7-8 years and it has been a difficult struggle but I never gave up and I don't have much more to go. I have lost 63 pounds in total but I believe it took a lot longer than most who don't have PCOS. I am here for encouragement and support =)
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosised at age 12 with PCOS. Been on Metformin and BC. I stopped all medicine on my own due to the way it made me feel. I been watching what i eat especially the carbs and have been doing wonderful with my weightloss. My suggestion if you are having a hard time would be watch the sugars and the carbs and you will be good. I drink normally nothing but water. Good Luck and feel free to add me. Lets kick PCOS where it hurts!
  • tinat84
    tinat84 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have PCOS... I think the hardest part of my weight loss is to keep up the motivation. I've lost 10% of my body weight and achieved a period on my own. However, I gained half of that back. Now, I'm 7 pounds away from getting back to the weight where I can get a pd on my own. It is hard but obtainable.

Feel free to add me as well. We need to motivate each other.

P.S. the Insanity workout really helps a lot you can burn a lot of calories if you push yourself and keep trying at it. It gets better eventually.
  • reluctantMANGO
    reluctantMANGO Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling too! I thought my PCOS worries were over after I got pregnant, but here I am again with extra weight on my body that I am struggling to lose. It seems like the harder I work, the harder it is to lose it! I am committed to a healthier lifestyle though, no matter how long it takes. I'm eating right, exercising, and will be seeing my endocrinologist again in a few months. Right now I'm focusing on staying positive, drinking lots of water, making smart choices, and being more active.

Please feel free to add me - the more the merrier!
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am in the same PCOS boat as well, so feel free to add me. I, too, get a little discouraged by the numbers on The Biggest Loser in comparison to mine until I realize that their full time job is exercising for 8-10 hours a day. No thank you, I'll be satisfied with my 1-2 pounds a week! I've lost 57 pounds total, but only 9 since joining MFP. Be encouraged that you WILL get there!
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS but have been successful losing weight by following a low GI healthy eating plan. It is harder for us but not impossible :)
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, if you like. That goes to anyone on this thread with PCOS.

I was diagnosed last August while trying to get to the "bottom" of the reason I can't seem to get pregnant. Thus, I decided to try to lose weight to see if this will help with the PCOS and ovulation. I could use more friends that are in the same boat. I've been trying to lose weight over the past few years, but now that we are trying to conceive, this time is different and I will not give up!
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hey I have PCOS too!! Its so frustrating when ur trying so hard and see slow results compared to what yuo deserve but we WILL get there! friends request send xxxx
  • QueenJenna
    QueenJenna Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. It happened after the birth of my DD, over 14 years ago. It took 12 years for a doc to determine! Although, at the same time, it was discovered that I had cancerous cells in my uterus. I have spent the last two years focusing on that. The cancer cells have been gone for about 6 months now. I started Nutrisystem January 23rd and I am down 35 lbs! I joined a gym last week determined to start working on my PCOS. I have a doc appointment this afternoon to address it with him. I now have two periods a month with spotting in between. It is definately not as bad as it used to be, but I have had more than enough of it. If this doc doesn't start helping me deal with it (OBGYN), then I am off to find one who will. It has been a real sruggle finding a doc near me that has even heard of it, let alone wants to learn how to help treat it.

I noticed many people are on metformin. Isn't that also a fertility drug? I sure as heck don't want to get pregnant....Although, I have read that dropping weight can jump start ovultaion... DH was a tad freaked by that news, lol