PCOS and Losing weight

Options

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Silly question...But what is PCOS...I have heard it so much & am just curious of what it is & symptoms...Thanks for sharing... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ashalabrown
    Options
    Sites like this make you realize that you are not alone. I knew that there are alot of women that have pcos but never knew how to find that support system as no one in my family has it. Thanks for posting this thread and feel free to add me.
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    I have PCOS too, I lost nearly 40 lbs last year but have been struggling the last while. I have started back fresh today, feel free to add me. Would love a few new friends with similar issues
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • katyparish
    katyparish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have been trying for years to lose weight. I have had good success using this program as well as using Metformin (medication). I would be more then happy to help support you. Feel free to add me.

Does the Metaformin make your stomach hurt? My doctor put me on that twice and it makes my stomach hurt so bad with cramps that I just couldn't take it anymore. I have another friend who has PCOS as well and the Metaformin does the same thing to her.
    What has been your expierence with it?

It doesn't make my stomach hurt but will occasionally give me diarrhea. Not every day and not every time I take it but if I have skipped it for a couple days and then take it again I usually have a really lose stool and cramps until I go. Other than that, no issues.
  • cvickie
    cvickie Posts: 11
    Options
    Silly question...But what is PCOS...I have heard it so much & am just curious of what it is & symptoms...Thanks for sharing... :)

16043484.png

PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The severity of the symptoms vary from woman to woman, but it causes weight gain, facial/body hair, acne, problems with concieving a child and other problems. High chance of having heart disease as well.
  • elizabrittt
    elizabrittt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    PCOS here too. I've lost some weight, before joinIng here, but this site is helping me tremendously. Just wish the fat would burn off my stomach instead of everywhere else :/ feel free to add me everyone :)
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too! Feel free to add me anyone!
  • ArenM1
    ArenM1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have pcos but had the surprise of my life who is now 13 months old. :) but i do feel everyones pain with losing the weight. feel free to add me as well. the more support the better!
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose 10 kilograms (22 lbs) in 70 days. I eat approximately 1500 cal a day and I exercise a lot.
    GI diet really helps. I am trying to be as strict as I can, but occasionally I eat an organic cookie or organic soya pudding.

I need to lose another 6 kilograms (13,2 lbs) to have a healthy BMI.

I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 years ago, I don't have any medical problems and I don't take any medicine. My blood and cholesterol levels are normal. I do suffer from a low blood pressure though.

I was full of excuses last year. No excuses this time!!!

They key to a successful weigh loss for women with PCOS is exercise! And low GI diet.

Good luck!

PS You can add me :)
  • betholiver
    Options
    What it means PCOS?
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    polycystic ovarian syndrome
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

16043484.png

PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. The severity of the symptoms vary from woman to woman, but it causes weight gain, facial/body hair, acne, problems with concieving a child and other problems. High chance of having heart disease as well.

Thank you so much for answering that for me....I now realize where I have heard it from besides here...I have two cousins that have that...It does run in my family.... :( I think I am in the clear though (I hope) b/c I have 2 children but I have been having some symptoms of something though...Not sure what...Doctor says it's not pre-menopause but I am not so sure...I have horrible bouts of sweating for absolutely no reason (It just pours off my head) & I have had unexplained weight gain & can't seem to get it off...Also, I have more acne now than ever in my life & I am 37....Hopefully we will get it figured out though.... :)

If anyone has these symptoms & might have an idea what it is could you send me a message? That would be great! Thanks... :)

16043484.png
  • michellegoljar
    Options
    I have pocos need to lose 100lbs for fertilty treatment, i find it hard losing weight and cold also use the support - anyone feel free to add me too
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have tried and failed in the past to lose weight. Love this site! There's a PCOS group here too which is great for advice!!

I eat everything in moderation. If I want something, I'll have it but illwork it into my diary and exercise too! I'm not overly strict becauses I've tried that before and fallen off the wagon. I'm hoping my weightloss will help in my TOM returning to normal and eventually help with fertility too.

Feel free to add me :) I take any advice I can get from fellow cysters
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    QueenJenna,

Metformin is actually a drug for helping in the treatment of diabetes. One reason many doctors prescribe it to those women with PCOS is that some studies have shown that it can help with weight loss. My doctor had me on metformin for a while to help with the weight loss and also because I want to get pregnant. Losing weight can help with increasing the chance of our eggs getting past the cysts within the ovaries. There are other reasons doctors put women on metformin, but that was the long and short of it with me.

After taking it for a couple months, I decided to quit as the side effects were not worth it to me. As a matter of fact, I went to see my normal doctor and after consulting with him for a while, he sent me to a reproductive endocrinologist who stated that he would never, ever put a woman on metformin who was not diabetic.

I say "each to their own". I have a friend who has PCOS and she swears by the metformin and has learned to deal with the side effects. BTW - She is not trying to get pregnant. If it works for you, great! If not, try something else.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have been trying for years to lose weight. I have had good success using this program as well as using Metformin (medication). I would be more then happy to help support you. Feel free to add me.

Does the Metaformin make your stomach hurt? My doctor put me on that twice and it makes my stomach hurt so bad with cramps that I just couldn't take it anymore. I have another friend who has PCOS as well and the Metaformin does the same thing to her.
    What has been your expierence with it?

I started taking it about a week and a half ago. For the first few days I was in the bathroom about every 30-45min, but after about three or four days my body adjusted and I haven't had any problems since.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have PCOS - and I have to say that once I really put my mind to weight loss (i needed to be mentally ready) and make some changes it hasn't been AS hard as I have previously experienced (however, still more difficult than the 'average' person).

I have lost 18lbs since Jan 2nd 2012. I work out 5-6 times a week (about 1 hour each), eat 1200 calories a day, drink only water (no soda/alcohol), and eat a low carb/low sugar/high protein diet..

feel free to add me!!! :heart:
  • Willowy_Jen
    Willowy_Jen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, been trying to lose weight for about 3 or 4 years now. It is so much easier to just give up and put the weight on easy... although that is what I am trying not to do.
    I have lost weight in the past, although that took drastic changes and sometimes unhealthy ones. It is possible, but it has to be something you really want and are willing to work for to get it.
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    :happy: have PCOS and have had small successes with weight loss, its hard but I keep on trying!! Feel free to add me. :happy: