Kangoo jumps - calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• karenena
    karenena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They're actually from Sion, Switzerland. The Europeans have been making prototypes of these since the 80's. Kangoos have been in existence since the 90's.
    You do burn more calories. It's a great work out but I have yet to find at what rate calories are burned. I would say it is depending on what you're doing in these shoes. Are you walking, lightly jogging, long stride jogging, aerobics, straight jumping jacks etc.
    I went for a walk yesterday and it felt as tho the exertion was the same as if I were lightly jogging - but with no impact on joints!! yay!
  • aerm2002
    Options
    Idk how many calories tho how many do u burn in a minute
  • estruk0051
    Options
    i took a kangoo class the other day and i loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! it is soooo worth it
  • estruk0051
    Options
    i am inn NY and here they have them at NYHRC (ny health and raquet club)
  • estruk0051
    Options
    There are many reasons why Kangoo Jump Boots are great for weight loss including several University studies that clearly show that you use more energy (burn calories) using Kangoo Jump Boots, compared to traditional workouts. Your core and leg muscles work overtime to stabilize you and you are pushing against resistance and rebounding against gravity which adds to the resistance. You are burning over 25% more calories than most other exercises and depending on your speed and intensity you can even burn up to 50% more calories than traditional exercises. In addition your heart must work harder to pump the same amount of blood through your arms as it does to pump it through your legs. Adding arm movements burns even more calories due to the pressure put on your heart to circulate oxygen and nutrients to the upper body.
  • estruk0051
    Options
    "When you run in them you're using more muscles than you would in sneakers," Kruper said. "So if you usually burn 100 calories in a mile, you'll burn 130 to 140."
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am all in favor of anything that gets people moving and motivates them to exercise. And I'm sure a lot of people will find these boots fun and the classes entertaining.

Unfortunately, in the fitness world, no one can ever be satisfied by just having fun new program or movement. It has to be the BEST EXERCISE EVAH! and claims about its effectiveness have to be inflated with misleading claims and misinterpretation of "research" studies.

The claims being made about the superior "burn" for Kangoo boots are a combination of the BS marketing for Sketcher Shape Ups and the Bowflex Treadclimber.

One: create a word salad of gobbledygook, using catch phrases like "low-impact", "uses core muscles", "uses more muscles", "removes toxins"---which mean nothing and have nothing to do with energy expenditure.

Two: create an "apples to oranges" relationship by misrepresenting research data, and use that to claim that "x" activity "burns more calories compared to walking/running". The one "research study" I found compared running on the treadmill at certain speeds using Kangoo boots compared to running shoes. And, yes, running in Kangoo boots had a higher O2 consumption (and thus calorie burn per minute) than running at the same speed in running shoes ( 7% to 18%).

However, those results do not mean that Kangoo boots have some magical power to burn more calories. IT JUST MEANS THAT THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES WITH TWO DIFFERENT WORKLOADS. It's like comparing running at 6.0 mph with running at 6.0 mph and a 2% elevation. You can't compare the speeds without including the extra work involved in running at incline.

Everyone has a maximum aerobic capacity. If an activity workload has an energy cost that represents a higher % of your maximum aerobic capacity, you won't be able to sustain the effort for as long a duration. In the end, the calorie expenditure for the workout will be the same. (And if you can sustain the harder effort for the same amount of time, then the question would be: why aren't you running faster?)

Let me repeat that I am not criticizing these boots or the workouts. From the stories I read it sounds like using them allowed a number of people to work out longer and harder then they could otherwise because they had orthopedic issues and the low-impact nature of the boots kept them pain-free. They look like they could get a lot of people moving who might not enjoy more conventional forms of exercise. But, good as those qualities are, that has nothing to do with the subject of calories burned--which is the subject of the topic.

But this is another classic example of how the self-promoting hucksters of the fitness world use false and misleading statements to dupe the public. People spend be able to see behind the curtain of BS and make their decisions based on actual facts.
  • daughtermine03
    daughtermine03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You do realize that in your post, you said that the boots burn more calories when using them then when not, that kangoo gets people up and moving that might otherwise not, and that is it low impact? Lol sounds like Kangoo is a great workout. Not sure where you were going with that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You do realize that in your post, you said that the boots burn more calories when using them then when not, that kangoo gets people up and moving that might otherwise not, and that is it low impact? Lol sounds like Kangoo is a great workout. Not sure where you were going with that.

Just trying to separate facts from *kitten* and poke holes in dishonest claims about exercise. Other than that, I have no opinion negative or positive about the boots. It's another form of exercise and if it motivates people to work out, then that's a good thing. But it has no magic special calorie burning properties and any claims that it does are lies. Simple enough?
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you have never used them try them then say they don't work the core. My abs prove they do. You are carrying about 7lb on each foot, so a child could tell you you use more energy over the same distance...no magic just science. Had mine for about 4 years love them.