Treadmill VS Elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i get tired way too fast on the elliptical...treadmill all the way for me.

Agree, lol. Thought I was alone on this :)
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I work a lot harder on the elliptical, basically, because I like it better. I don't like the feel of a treadmill. I would rather run outside. Something about stepping off a treadmill makes me feel like I'm walking on a boat for a bit. I love the program on my elliptical that automatically increases and decreases the resistance to make my workout harder, thus burn more calories.

I think it is a personal preference thing.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with people who are saying the elliptical easier on the knees. The few times I've gotten on one, it's hurt my knees within the first minute and I can't stand it. But it may vary with height. I'm 5'2" and find I have to move my legs painfully high and low on it. I will have wobbly knees after getting off the treadmill, but after a 5 minute sit I'm good to go.

My brother injured his knees in the military and he tried my elliptical. It didn't take a full minute before he said it was bothering his knees.

Now my daughter injured her ACL a year ago and she is find and dandy on it. She loves it more than the treadmill, too. It must depend on the injury. Maybe age, too. Brother is 30's, daughter is 17.

I've never had injuries am 39 and LOVE it.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I personally like the elliptical but the treadmill is alright too.
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We bought an elliptical about a year ago. We love it! As far as the knees go, I think you have to try them out, the stride is different on each one. We bought ours from Academy and we hopped on each one to see which one we liked best. Ours is more of a running motion, some are very short strides and go high up and down, almost like you're hopping. I guess like one post says, it depends on height, leg length, things like that.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with people who are saying the elliptical easier on the knees. The few times I've gotten on one, it's hurt my knees within the first minute and I can't stand it. But it may vary with height. I'm 5'2" and find I have to move my legs painfully high and low on it. I will have wobbly knees after getting off the treadmill, but after a 5 minute sit I'm good to go.

Do me a favor and Google "benefits of fish oil"...among the many benefits is aiding in joint movement. It's the one supplement I think everyone should take regardless of fitness goals. Almost too good to be true.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I do both, it depends on the day. I also do bike. I have a HRM and I get about the same burn in the same time frame from both. I don't see it as an either or as it's better to do dIfferent things on different days IMHO. I do strength one day, run the next, strength the next, HIIT on the elliptical the next etc, etc. or some version of this in the course of the week. I think there is benefit in mixing it up even if your are trainng sport specific. For example, both bike and HIIT are both great complementary training for running. It's good to mix these in with several training runs in a week. So I guess I jsut don't see it an an either/ or question.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I agree, totally personal preference! I make myself go on the treadmill to prevent my body from getting "used" to elliptical, but if I had my choice I'd always use an elliptical!