Because I need brutal honesty, I have a confession...

Options
2»

Replies

• c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    On the days you exercise you are eating 1200 calories but you aren't netting 1200 calories - in other words, your diary doesn't show you as eating back your exercise calories. That means on the days you exercise you are not getting enough food to reach your goal of eating more than 800 calories.

Holy crap!!! I have to NET 1200?! That means I would have to eat 1800 or more on exercise days?!:huh:

I better start buying stock in peanut butter :tongue:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    - I ate 700 calories a day for two months
    - Lost 20 lbs and then stalled
    - Realised it was stupid and went up to 1200 calories
    - Gained 5 lbs over 3 weeks. Didn't panic.
    - Lost 25 lbs in a few months eating 1300 calories
    - Reached and surpassed goal weight

Just wait for it...

Well done for being patient and reaping the rewards.

One thing that is difficult for people when they first up their calories is that they see a gain in the first week and are convinced it is not for them, so they go back to sub 1000 calories.

The gain is only water from the replenished glycogen, but it's enough to scare people away, but they need to realise that it can take a little time for your body to start responding again after being on such a low calorie intake.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain weight as your body transitions from starvation to healthy weight loss. I would give it at least 3 months at 1200 before changing anything, you really can't tell from a few weeks how your body is reacting to dietary changes - you may see some changes, but you will not see the full response in that short of a time. It's good that you are eating more 800 is too low for good health. As for eating back your exercise, that's an individual choice, but I would recommend trying to eat at least some of it back on the days you to strength training. Your body can't build muscle without the extra pieces it needs to make muscle from.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that the food you eat also has weight in your body. I can easily get 4 or 5 hundred calories out of a pound of food. I recently increased my calories by 500 and my weight was up nearly a whole pound the next morning. Unless you are cleaning yourself out for a colonoscopy, a lot of what you eat is still in there somewhere even after your morning constitutional.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I plan on doing this right, so I appreciate all the help I can get!

NEW order of business:
    1) NET 1200, not just 1200 gross
    2) Work on lowering my sodium
    3) Give it another 2 months and then evaluate

Did I miss anything?
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I plan on doing this right, so I appreciate all the help I can get!

NEW order of business:

Did I miss anything?

I think that is a good start. I try to eat lil processed. And up your protein, maybe shakes. Since we r friends, u can look at my diary, except today of course :) oh, there were also a few days last week where MFP messed with my diary after so try to find some days that I hit around 1600.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

NEW order of business:

Did I miss anything?

Sounds great!! Good luck!!!
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Your sodium intake is very high. This is probably where you wanna start. Stop eating processed foods and additives (ie Mccormick spicers).
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    On the topic of sodium intake, if you just CAN'T kick the sodium (I sure can't!) make sure you drink more water. On days where I know my sodium is going to be sky high, I drink between 3-5 liters of water. I notice a 2-3 lb difference between days if I haven't had all my water.
  • dezwark
    dezwark Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i am going to have to agree on the sodium thing here. i don't cook it if it comes in a box or a can and IF i do i make sure it has no salt because they load that stuff with so much it's ridiculous. don't get frustrated keep at it