Anyone know any high Protein/Fat but LOW in Carbs foods?

Options
Ok, so anyone recommend any food items that are HIGH in Protein, MODERATE/HIGH in Fat & LOW in carbs? Has to be LOW carb food items!

So far i have Peanut Butter, Almonds ( basically nuts ).

Any others?

P.S I'm vegetarian. :)

Replies

• LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Eggs and chicken man!
  • LJC44
    Options
    I just now saw the veg part sorry..no chicken for you then :) Tofu is good!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Love me some cottage cheese! I personally like to add splenda and cinnomon..but any sweetner will work! And in the morning i have it with strawberrys!
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    possibly certain vegetarian hot dogs? TVP(textured vegtable protein)? I know the veggie bacon I used to get was kind of high carb for bacon, and many veggie burgers are high-carb, too. How about sunflower seeds? Tahini? (which is crushed seasame seeds - might not be very high protein but should be low carb & you can make tasty dressings/sauces with it).

There are people who put black beans in their brownies to save carbs & add protein but I think it tastes yucky.

I think there might be a traditional bread made from pepitas (pumpkin seeds) in Mexican foods, and the East Indians make their samosa crusts with a pastry made from ground chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

And yeah, all the nuts; walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, pine nuts (pesto - also used in deserts with almond), macademias. I bet macademias, pineapple & coconut would make some great deserts or fruit-salad mix-ins.

Have you tried smoked almonds? They sell them in cans at grocery stores & drug stores. They're addictive; I've never thought of using them in recipes but why not? Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have great prices on nuts & their nuts are very fresh.

Do you eat eggs? Some desserts use egg rather than flour, such as baked custard, and some flourless chocolate cakes.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, cottage cheese - I think that's the highest protein found in any dairy product.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon
  • juliespears
    juliespears Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How about no-fat greek yogurt (plain)? Add your own grains/nuts and you can self-limit the carbs.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Tempeh
    Edamame
    Protein powders
    eggs
    egg whites
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Tofu, tempeh, hemp protein powder. Add healthy fats, ground flax, avocado, organic coconut oil etc.
  • LJC44
    Options
    what exactly is tempeh? I have heard of it and read a bit awhile ago on it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soy products such as tofu or tempeh cooked in olive oil.
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Avocados are really filling with the good kind of fat. I make vegetarian lettuce wraps with lots of veggies and Boca crumbles {similar to PF Chang recipe}. Seems obvious, but a big leafy salad with some walnuts, feta cheese, a little fruit, etc. + vinegar and oil really fills you up without much carb damage. Edemame is a good high-protein snack.

I'm a veggie on the lookout for ideas, too, so thanks for posting this! Good luck!
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Keep them coming guys!

I'm basically going to be switching to high fat/protein but low in carbs diet, so need to know all the food items i can eat so i can still manage a high enough protein & fat intake while keeping my carbs low.
  • LJC44
    Options
    Seafood!
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Seafood!

I don't eat fish either!
  • LJC44
    Options
    Protein shakes using Whey.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Butter (try green vegetables in butter)
    Nut butters (w/ no added sugar)
    Full fat sour cream
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Bacon?
    You could make bacon avocado lettuce wraps.
  • LJC44
    Options
    Hummus is awesome on sandwiches or veggies.