walking a lot and eating healthy....results?

Options
Who on here does a lot of walking, eats healthy and gets results?

I LOVE walking...seriously love it and because it is something I enjoy doing I do it often and regularly. I keep finding I get into these exercise DVD's or programs and do them but don't really find joy in them so when I hit a roadblock of difficulty I quit. So, I'm curious is it possible and healthy to walk a lot/hike etc. eat healthy and lose weight/tone the body. I'm thinking of lifting also as I really enjoy my dumbbells in exercises but for now want to hear your experiences with walking/hiking and eating well. Post pics if you've got them :)

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i know someone who only did walking and lost a lot of weight. that was all she did every day was walk. I think it's very possible if the food you are eating is healthy. you are eating wise and moving, so what else can you ask for ;)
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of weight left to lose...15lbs or so. I want to lose that though but also focus on strength and toning. Not sure walking alone will work though. hmmm...
  • ThinMint_Stac
    ThinMint_Stac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have lost all my weight walking. i walk on a treadmill and crank up the incline. :-)
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 pounds mostly walking (5 miles a day). I recently added circuit training and do that 2-5 times a week now, as well.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My hubby lost 35-40 plus pounds just walking and eating right. But he is retired and is able to walk every day (at least 5 days per week) I find it a bit more difficult to fit it in but it can be done. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Walking is good as a low intensity steady state aerobic exercise and has weight loss benefits. If this is all you do, your body will adapt to it over time and the benefit will diminish. I wold use this as one tool along with others like the videos, biking, and some strength training. If you don't ahve access to a gym for the strength training, use body weight exercises like push up and pull ups to accomplish this. An approach like this will increase you fat burning.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My mom lost about 80 lbs just walking...and I am following in her footsteps but I must admit I enjoy doing the Leslie SAnsone Walk away the Pounds DVDs. Have you tried them?
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in May 2011. 6 days a week I walk. I have lost 124 pounds just by walking. I still have a lot more to lose.
  • serenetranquility
    serenetranquility Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! My MIL does the Leslie DVD's and loves them. I am going to check them out but prefer being outside. SashaJane, how far/fast do you go each day?
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I lost my first 25lbs.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ME! Have lost 29lbs in 75 days and I walked for the beggining, now I'm running for bits of my exercise, but it all started with walking :-)
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Right away I lost 23lbs, within about 6 weeks, just from walking everywhere. My car broke down, so I have to.
    I am starting to run, slowly introducing it.
    I can't stand walking, but at least it keeps me under in my calories everyday.
    I would rather do more intensive exercise, but l do my best right now.
    I plateau a lot with walking, hence why I started running in small increments.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I walk EVERYWHERE! I just started this too! I am a runner and a gym fanatic and then one day 3 weeks ago, I woke up, the weather was beautiful outside and I thought "hey..I'm going to go for a walk today!" I've walked everyday since, whether it be to the post office, to the gym, to the grocery store. I walk everywhere! And now, I don't live in a city. I live in a tiny rural town where everything is probably 1-2 miles apart. I'm maintaining, so I'm not really keeping too hard of tabs on my weight, but I can tell you, I 100% am losing inches off my thighs...and my joints are not anywhere near as stressed as they get when I go for my 30-40 min runs!
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Last year when I lost the bulk of my weight, I had the best body I'd ever had from consistently walking outside every day for 30-60 minutes....I've put a lot of that weight back on since then so I need to lose it again, but back then, walking combined with using MFP worked wonders on my legs and just generally toned everywhere.
    Its definitely possible and one of the best ways in my opinion, because walking is easy to always incoporate into your lifestyle, and its free!:)
  • adams4101
    adams4101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do the leslie videos. I change them up and do different variations. I started with just 3 miles. I've done up to 9 miles in one day. Some days I do the interval training, some I do with the strength training, and some just regular. I'm trying to make sure my body doesn't adapt, but we'll see. I down almost 60 lbs. I've only done aerobics dvd's and only leslie the past 2 months or so. Now that it's warmer I do go and job around the track sometimes too. Life previous posts said, I do think walking will help you to lose the weight, but I would add variations and strength training.
  • scoste
    scoste Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to walk 5 miles at least 3 times a week with my sister on these trails near my house. My sister drags me up and down the hills. It's so great now that the weather in Philadelphia is unseasonably warm (not that I'm complaining). Then I mix it up by going to the gym and playing tennis.
  • scoste
    scoste Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to walk 5 miles at least 3 times a week with my sister on these trails near my house. My sister drags me up and down the hills. It's so great now that the weather in Philadelphia is unseasonably warm (not that I'm complaining). Then I mix it up by going to the gym and playing tennis.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight mainly walking, but I need to start strength training because my body is getting skinny-fat, and my boobs are shrinking D:
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight mainly walking, but I need to start strength training because my body is getting skinny-fat, and my boobs are shrinking D:

I'm with ya girl!! I've went from a b to a double a!!!
  • desertdove
    Options
    Way to go!! You're lost a lot and have a lot to be proud about. Great progress.