I do not like to cook. Do You know of any healthy meals that

Options
jenniejengin
jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
Can you please help me, by giving me some healthy meal ideas, because I am not a cooker, so I do not tend to eat healthy. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Invest in a "crock pot"....you throw everything in there with very little prep time! This cuts down on "your" time in the kitchen too and is a healthy way to eat. Good luck!:smile:
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    search the forums for crockpot recipes!
  • Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Stir Fries are my favorite easy meals! Go to Hungrygirl.com; she has a lot of easy low cal recipes.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Because we lead busy lives, my husband and I eat out a lot. Yeah, I mean several times a week.

I have been successful at my weight loss because I decide where we are going to eat, then I look at the restaurant's nutritional information BEFORE I get there. Choose the healthiest options, and then stick with that decision!

Yes, of course home-cooked meals are the best option, but you can make good choices at restaurants if you use your noggin ahead of time :-)

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Invest in a "crock pot"....you throw everything in there with very little prep time! This cuts down on "your" time in the kitchen too and is a healthy way to eat. Good luck!:smile:

This times a billion. Crock pot turkey chili. Also Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken (it shreds, and is good atop salads and served in wraps).
    Also for breakfast, I'll often cook a frittata on Sunday night so that I can cut into servings and bag for breakfast everyday.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    In addition to a crockpot, I'd suggest a panini maker. You can grill all kinds of healthy sandwiches (try a tortilla as well) and it only takes a minute. I always have greek yogurt and lots of fresh vegetables and fruits on hand and eat a lot of interesting salads. If you avoid boxed, frozen, and processed foods in favor of fresh and minimally processed foods, there's no reason a non cook can't eat a healthy diet.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In addition to a crockpot, I'd suggest a panini maker. You can grill all kinds of healthy sandwiches (try a tortilla as well) and it only takes a minute. I always have greek yogurt and lots of fresh vegetables and fruits on hand and eat a lot of interesting salads. If you avoid boxed, frozen, and processed foods in favor of fresh and minimally processed foods, there's no reason a non cook can't eat a healthy diet.

^ Smart too.
    And if you have a George Foreman, it'll double as a panini maker!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Because we lead busy lives, my husband and I eat out a lot. Yeah, I mean several times a week.

I have been successful at my weight loss because I decide where we are going to eat, then I look at the restaurant's nutritional information BEFORE I get there. Choose the healthiest options, and then stick with that decision!

Yes, of course home-cooked meals are the best option, but you can make good choices at restaurants if you use your noggin ahead of time :-)

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!

This is me. I eat out a LOT - you can choose healthy things and you can also make unhealthy things healthier by making substitutions and eating smaller portions.

I also make food OCCASIONALLY but we stick to easy stuff like mixes, sauteed chicken, pasta, sandwiches, etc.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    We have a few places in my city (My Fit Foods, Balance Healthy Meals, Real Meals 365, etc.) that you can walk into and purchase pre-made healthy meals to go. You may want to Google "healthy meals to go" for your area and check out what's available.

You could also try a healthy cookbook that catches your eye. There are several that specialize in quick meals with very few ingredients, and practicing making meals this way could help build your cooking confidence and skills.

You could also keep a few healthy frozen meals at home for quick preparation. Kashi and Amy's (vegetarian) are good ones, and of course there are Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice available. Drink lots of water with them to help flush out the extra sodium, or look for ones that have less sodium to begin with.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    instead of becoming a cooker... become an experimental foodie!

i started out making basic-y fingerfoods- but i made them healthy so they would be beautiful adn I'd indulge int hem. Slowly i wanted more and more beautiful things to create- as opposed to throw into a pot. SOmetimes appealing to your creative side helps motivate?

Best of luck!!!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    We have a few places in my city (My Fit Foods, Balance Healthy Meals, Real Meals 365, etc.) that you can walk into and purchase pre-made healthy meals to go. You may want to Google "healthy meals to go" for your area and check out what's available.

You could also try a healthy cookbook that catches your eye. There are several that specialize in quick meals with very few ingredients, and practicing making meals this way could help build your cooking confidence and skills.

You could also keep a few healthy frozen meals at home for quick preparation. Kashi and Amy's (vegetarian) are good ones, and of course there are Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice available. Drink lots of water with them to help flush out the extra sodium, or look for ones that have less sodium to begin with.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:

this! it's what I've been doing and it's awesome!
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Crock pots are great.

I also make enough food for supper that i can reheat for lunch the next day.
    Works nicely, especially when i dont have time to cook! (and i hate cooking lol)
  • ogibson3
    ogibson3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get a George Foreman grill and be open to eating new things. I don't know how to cook but I can open a few can of vegetables and put them in a pot on the stove, add a little seasoning and you got a meal; Put some fish or chicken breast on the grill and you're done in less than 30 min.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you eat meat or not, but chicken and other food types alike are nice to just throw in the oven.
    I try to bake everything moreso because its easier lol.
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't like to cook either! :laugh: But I have to b/c my children loves to eat :laugh: I'm going to look into the crockpot recipes. Thanks
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking as well. I buy those Healthy Choice frozen meals for lunch at work. All are about 260- 320 cal. Good combination of protien, carbs, and fats. Much better than going out and grabbing a burger.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    instead of becoming a cooker... become an experimental foodie!

i started out making basic-y fingerfoods- but i made them healthy so they would be beautiful adn I'd indulge int hem. Slowly i wanted more and more beautiful things to create- as opposed to throw into a pot. SOmetimes appealing to your creative side helps motivate?

Best of luck!!!

I like this advice. You can learn a few simple preparations and experiment and they'll become different all the time:
    stir-fry
    sautee
    poach
    broil
    grill

Learn these 5 techniques and you can use them for almost every meat or veggie. Also, get a basic spice kit an experiment. Most spices have no calories or very few. You can combine them into your own spice blend.

Then learn to make a pan sauce (this is very easy, add liquid to the pan you cooked your protein in. You can add other spices, acids or wine). You instantly have a sauce to tie your meal together and pour that on top of your starch and veggies.
  • hnguthrie
    hnguthrie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love roasted vegetables. It's SO easy. Just wash and chop it (which you can do with most things when you bring them home, so they're ready to go when you're ready to eat), coat it with just enough olive oil, add salt and pepper. Pop it in the oven on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees. Time depends on the vegetable, but most of the vegetables I use take around 20 minutes. They should be quite brown in places. There are specific, very easy recipes for this kind of thing all over the internet.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, but I don't like the mess.. and it's hard just for one. A couple things I do to keep things simple is make ahead already portioned meals.

When I buy a pack of chicken or beef, I portion out 4 to 5 ounce pieces and freeze them to use later.

I have a George Foreman grill that I can put a piece of chicken and a few spears of asparagus or zucchini.. a little cajun seasoning, and boom.. it's done. Serve it with a little brown rice, and it's a great meal

or

mold a 4 to 5 oz 90% lean hamburger patty and put it on a square of aluminum foil with about a half cup of chopped onions, some mushrooms, a small red potato cut in quarters and seal it up to make a pouch. (you can add other veggies if you'd like and season however you like.) Bake this at about 375 for about a half hour or so, and it's great. I make up a bunch of them and have them for a quick lunch and dinner too. We used to make these on camping trips. (You can also use stew meat and add a half a roma tomato)