It Was Painful :(

Options

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Okay folks I just started this today, and really, really want to succeed this time. I currently weigh 247 pounds (not good, I know!) I went for a 20 minute walk today and thought I was literally going to die. My legs hurt so bad that I had to stop. This is how out of shape I am. I was very frustrated and disappointed in myself, almost to the point of tears. I had major surgery 4 weeks ago (hyst) and since then, I'm always tired (my doctor said this is not uncommon,) but that wasn't even the issue while walking. My legs hurt so bad. I don't think there's anything physically wrong- I think I'm just that much out of shape.

I honestly hate to exercise, hate to sweat, but I know deep down that I must stick to it and I know things will get easier. Did anyone out there have these types of feelings/thoughts when first starting out?

Hang on in there, it gets better, you can improve your fitness by so much in just a matter of weeks.

Have to doctors advised that it's safe for you to do exercise yet?

I had renal embolisation back in December and wasn't active at all until around 6 weeks after, I started slow. At first my doctor advised a couple of minutes on the cross trainer a day.

I started at 257lbs and have lost 14lbs so we're at a similar weight. At first I could just do a bit at a time, I slowly increased. I can now do up to 4 hours a day. My kidney is still giving me quite a bit of pain but I'm getting there. I did an hour of yoga today, I started doing a bit more just last week and have vastly improved in just a small period of time. I've tried a lot of things out to find what's good for me.

Just take it easy, don't push yourself too hard. For a while I was doing "Chairobics" which really helped, mainly by giving me the enthusiasm to move on to something a bit harder.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You just have to start, and do a little bit more every day! I HATED exercise and was sooooooo out of shape when I first started that I felt the same way you did. Hang in there, it does get better!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Good for you! If it hurts to walk, break up the walking into smaller periods. If 5 minutes a day is what works and you can do that 5 days a week, try that. Then increase the amount of time...or the number of times you walk.

Good luck with everything. You can do this.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    You are still recuperating so give your body a chance to ease into moving again. Could there be a hormone component to your pain as well? I would think a dip in estrogen might lead to aches and pains; just a guess. I do a ten min. walk around the park every day. Then I go home for a while, rest, and do ten more. You don't have to do it all at once for good results, just move several times a day. It will get better, and lighter, and easier as time goes on. In a few months the new mobility will feel wonderful.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    If the pain persists you should probably mention it to your doctor. You should expect to be soar after starting or altering a workout routine, but sharp pain could be the sign of something serious.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how slow or how far... The point is YOU DID IT! The hardest part is getting up and walking out the door. The speed will come, the distance will increase, and the pain will go away. I Started at 261, I'm not starting after surgery but I have Lupus and fibromyalgia and it hurts to move, much less exercise some days but It gets easier. First walk was 1 mile and it took me 19:58 mins and my legs hurt and I was so red and out of breath, my family watched over me for 3 hours (thats how long I stayed purple/red) to make sure I didn't need help. Now on a good day I can knock out 2 miles in under a 15 min pace.

Drink plenty of water and take pride in the fact that you are better than you were yesterday and tomorrow when you go out, you will be even better.
  • Sophieliaa
    Options
    Well done for starting somewhere - I know if I had come out of surgery I wouldn't have gotten up as quick as you to do exercise! & I started at 146lbs and the first time I went for a 20 minute walk after a while of not exercising got me SO tired, so don't worry, you're not alone at all. It just takes perseverance, like the saying goes: "if it was easy, everyone would be slim"!

I'm not sure if anyone else has recommended this (there are three pages of responses - I couldn't read through them all I'm afraid =/) but swimming is a really good way to get into exercise. My friend had to lose weight because of health issues (she weighed 280lbs or there abouts), and she started with swimming and said it really helped (although she went in off peak times because she was self conscious).

I wish you all the best, and feel free to add me as a friend - I love the interaction of motivating (and being motivated)! You're not alone at all just remember that :)

- Soph
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It is good advice to start slowly and don't let your frustration lead to discouragement. Compare yourself only to yourself and not others.

When i first started cycling I was looking forward to a time when it didn't hurt anymore, now I realise it still hurts but at a higher speed.

People to exercise seem to do it effortlessly and we use that to fuel our negative self-talk, but you know when I'm running at lot of negative stuff happens in my head but I did it anyway. Give yourself credit for all the positive steps you take to improve your life, slowly is good because the time will pass anyway and you are still lapping those people on the couch!!!

GG
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did to feel good. You will recover soon and feel better than you ever thought. That said - DEFINITELY find a Dr that will do saliva hormone testing. I think this is the 100% key to my ability to have success. Diet and exercise are there and help, but w/o my hormones, cortisol levels, and adrenal fatigue resolved I would have never gotten to where I am. Best of luck and think outside the box for weight loss too.
  • lafter71
    lafter71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! You can do it! Just know that there have been times where picking up after the dogs in the yard has caused my legs to burn for days....so yes, I understand. Maybe just set goals a little smaller and more often? I'm no expert but I feel the same way when I start something new. Just hang in there!!!!! :)
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in Dec 2010 and I can tell you that some of your tiredness could very well be from the surgery. I was tired for a long time when I would do any sort of activity. I had to work my way up. Keep it up and it will happen for you. I don't like to sweat either but I always feel better after I work out. I'm finally finding myself looking forward to it. I take my ipad and watch things on Netflix. It really makes the time fly! Or what about Curves? That moves fast from what I've heard. Not enough time to get bored.
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone here! Wow, you are all so wonderful. I have taken in all the suggestions, and have cried over the overwhelming amount of support.

The hysterectomy was the SINGLE best thing I've done for myself to date! I still have my ovaries, so there's no hormonal issues or concerns. Thank GOD! It makes me want to strap on my Nikes and head out again, but I won't. I'll take it slow and easy.

You people rock! LOL :smile:
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You can do it, never give up. Even if you cant one day do it the next. This isnt a race its your life one day at a time. There is no quiting its all about never giving up. You never fail if you try again. You are strong enough to make a change be proud of your decision.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Congrats for starting. Cheers :drinker: (with water of course!)

But as everyone else said start of slow it will get better. Also, you may want to try putting some cold and heat on them. It may help ease the pain and it feels good :happy:

Just never give up because you can do this :flowerforyou:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Have you tried walking in water? Ask your doctor if you can (don't want to get an infection in your cuts) but the water will help neutralize the weight and help your joints. You can get all the benefits of exercise with fewer of the side effects (achy knees/back etc.) Maybe try out water aerobics too. I'm an aquatics manager and we have a class devoted to low impact exercise for those with weight problems. Good luck!
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Oh and if you're in the water, you won't feel yourself sweat!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have a bone disease which causes bone and cartilage tumors on every joint of my body and I have had multiple major orthopedic surgeries. Yes, I know how hard and painful it can be getting started. I also have nerve damage in in legs that used to be aggravated by walking, so I would avoid walking whenever I could.

Walking is now my main exercise. I also run, lift weights, etc. But walking is always part of my daily exercise. Where there's a will, there's a way. Start slowly. Do intervals (walk for 5 minutes, rest for 5 minutes). Don't push yourself too hard. You'll eventually get there.also, give yourself some time to heal from your hysterectomy. You've had a major organ removed!
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I will put some serious thought into some water exercises as soon as my doctor can give me clearance- as this seems like something that would be more low impact for my out-of-shape body. About the only thing he has okayed so far is walking, which I'll do in intervals. Start slow- gain alot, right? :tongue:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay folks I just started this today, and really, really want to succeed this time. I currently weigh 247 pounds (not good, I know!) I went for a 20 minute walk today and thought I was literally going to die. My legs hurt so bad that I had to stop. This is how out of shape I am. I was very frustrated and disappointed in myself, almost to the point of tears. I had major surgery 4 weeks ago (hyst) and since then, I'm always tired (my doctor said this is not uncommon,) but that wasn't even the issue while walking. My legs hurt so bad. I don't think there's anything physically wrong- I think I'm just that much out of shape.

I honestly hate to exercise, hate to sweat, but I know deep down that I must stick to it and I know things will get easier. Did anyone out there have these types of feelings/thoughts when first starting out?

I will never forget years ago I saw a woman on either Today or GMC who was an "after." She looked AMAZING. Perfect body, beautiful, thin, strong, ran marathons. Excellent shape.

Her "before" was more than 300 pounds and she said her first day in the gym, she couldn't last five minutes on the treadmill at a 2 mph pace.

We all have to start somewhere. The important thing is to start!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options

I can totally relate. To all of it. When I had my hyst, I was tired all the time. For about four months afterward. General anesthesia always does that to me. Leg pain, yes that too. If 20 minutes is too much, start with five. Add another five minutes every week or so as you're able. You are so not alone in this, trust me. There are TONS of people like us out there who started with just five minutes of walking and are now walking 30 minutes or an hour. We'll all get there-just remember that you're human.

I do most of my walking in the pool b/c walking hurts my knees to much. The only stuff I do not in the pool is stationary bike and elliptical because they're designed not to hurt knees and legs. Power to YOU for getting out there and starting! We'll all get there together!