just bought some cottage cheese... now what do i do with it?

Options

Replies

• femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys! Can't wait to try all of these! Thanks :)
    I love cottage cheese. Just finished 1/2 cup, plain, straight from the container. A great sweet treat for me is to add a tablespoon of strawberry preserves to cottage cheese. Never tried honey - I will have to try that. I also learned on MFP about cottage cheese in smoothies. It is fantastic. Sounds weird, I know. But it's very good in fruit smoothies.

I like the steamed vegetables ideas. You can also try a little salt and pepper. Or even salsa. Cottage cheese is pretty versatile. Definitely experiment with brands. Big taste difference across brands. I get Horizon a lot here in Texas. Their lowfat is good enough for me (some brands I need the full fat to really like it). There is a brand I found in San Francisco that was awesome - forget the name - but it was easy to find there. I'd know it if I heard it.

Oh hey there fellow Texan! I got the HEB brand (not sure if you have an heb where you live but its a Texas thing so maybe)

And I got the fat free... Bad idea? :-/
  • melapry74
    Options
    Personally, I LOVE it plain or on top of Ritz crackers, sprinkled with a little paprika. But if you don't like it plain, you can use it as a layer in a lasagna (in place of Ricotta cheese). You won't know the difference, you will be saving tons of calories, and it's delicious!
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use it daily for lots of things... first off.. love it in a baked potato with broccoli or salsa..

next someone posted a link on here for some protein shakes.. they are to die for... I have one every day, and haven't had one that I didn't like yet.. the link is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506340-milkshake-recipe-37g-of-protein also it's good with some sugar free jello powder.. just a bit.. and some fruit.. mix all together and refrigerate until ready to serve.. also I saw a recipe for a protein ranch I can't wait to try...

1 c. low fat cottage cheese.. (make sure to check labels cause some that say lowfat really aern’t)
    3-4 tsp. buttermilk ranch dressing mix
    ¼ c. water (or milk.. but milk would add more cals) if too thick could thin out a little bit with more water

Add all to a blender and mix until smooth.. 55 cals for a ¼ c. serving… and 7 grams protein

I also use it on a portabello mushroom with 3 tbsp of spaghetti sauce and some turkey pepperoni plus whatever veggies you like.. and make a low carb pizza..
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2 eggs (or 1 egg plus 2 whites)
    2 tablespoons flour

Mix together with stick blender or in regular blender. Cook in nonstick pan coated with olive oil spray. Makes 3 large pancakes, roughly 250-300 calories for the whole recipe, depending on your ingredients. Especially delish with some dry rubbed bacon from Trader Joe's. :)
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    Salmon, scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese.
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    *I* would stare at it suspiciously and question its existence.

I've seen other people just eat it with some salt and pepper.

THAT just made me laugh so hard :laugh:
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    23mvti9.gif

Sorry...couldn't resist.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Eat it. I love plain cottage cheese.
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    scoop up with spoon, insert into mouth... ENJOY :) I <3 cottage cheese :)
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    23mvti9.gif

Sorry...couldn't resist.

OMG, This, do this!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It holds up wallpaper pretty well.
  • codexica
    codexica Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like it with steel-cut oats and fruit (especially strawberries!).

I also really like mixing it with mustard and random spices (whatever looks good to me at the moment I open my spice cupboard, lol), and using it as a veggie dip. Yummy!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Eat it, just eat it.

GET YOUR EGG AND BEAT IT BEAT IT
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I like to put a packet of splenda in and cinnamon/nutmeg and or vanilla...tastes like dessert!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Oh hey there fellow Texan! I got the HEB brand (not sure if you have an heb where you live but its a Texas thing so maybe)

And I got the fat free... Bad idea? :-/
    If you aren't a fan of cottage cheese already, fat free might not be the best introduction. Try it. If you like, great. But don't dismiss cottage cheese based on a fat free variety. I have gone as low as 1% cottage cheese, but haven't tried fat free. I like the creamy taste, so usually have 2% or full fat (4%). It's not a big calorie increase.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with strawberries and blueberries or mix it with sweetner and cinnamon. Tastes kind of like cheesecake!:bigsmile:
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff and will eat it plain, but my face is with tomatoes (either sliced or bite-sized grape tomatoes). Also, if I'm craving sweets I will mix in cocoa powder and stevia, or sometimes sugar-free jam. Also good is using it instead of salad dressing, or mixing garbanzo beans in it, or scooping it up with celery, or any combination of those!
  • melapry74
    Options
    OMG! YES! YES! YES! ON TOP OF A BAKED POTATO! How did I forget that?! Delish!!
  • LifeLongJourney
    Options
    I like the fat free kind on plain wholewheat toast, haha. It's my favorite breakfast meal.
  • LifeLongJourney
    Options
    23mvti9.gif

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Haha, that's awesomesauce.