Timing is everything...

Options
Just a few words of wisdom passed down to me from an AMAZING personal trainer (former bodybuilder, competitive swimmer, and 50-year old roller derby champion!)

WHEN you eat is just as important as WHAT you eat. Eating the "right" food isn't enough... you have to eat the right food at the right time.

1. It's wise to eat a big breakfast (more than 1/3 of your daily cal intake), and CRITICAL to do so with within an hour of waking. Breakfast is an especially important time to give your body the carbs it needs to get through the day. It's like gassing up your car before you go on a road trip... you need the fuel!

2. If you're doing any resistance training (and you should be) then your body NEEDS protein immediately afterword. Resistance training breaks down the muscle (essentially injuring it), so your body needs new raw materials to re-build that muscle. Get at least 20 grams of protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your exercise. Protein shakes aren't just for body builders... they're for anyone who wants their muscles to do their fat-burning for them!

3. When you're asleep, you want your body to be burning FAT, not burning the food you've eaten, right? A great way to accomplish this is by cutting or severely limiting carbs after lunch. Would you fill up your gas tank right before you go on a 1-month vacation? Of course not! So why would your body need a bunch of energy (i.e. carbs) before bed?! If you're going to have bread or pasta, eat it before 3pm, and save your last meal of the day for protein, vitamin, and mineral restoration (meat and veggies).

A quick summary:
Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper... Front-load your carbs so that your body burns fat, not food, while you're asleep.

Best of luck!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Also, in regards to point #2, previously ingested protein will have you covered for maximizing protein synthesis post workout and this invalidates the need to try and rush protein into your system post workout. Gram limitations aren't really relevant but then again, neither is timing.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Yeah. Meal timing is irrelevant.

I have a dream that some day these myths will cease being perpetuated.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Complete nonsense. Science supports none of this.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are not dieticians.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg

and for point #2

Burd NA et al. Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar protein synthesis persists for up to 24 h after resistance exercise in young men. J Nutr. 2011 Apr 1;141(4):568-73. Epub 2011 Feb 2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    If I ate that much for breakfast I would have gained 25lbs not lost 25lbs... trust me. LOL.

Oh and dinner is a minimum of 600 cals.. MANDATORY!

:flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Just a few words of wisdom passed down to me from an AMAZING personal trainer (former bodybuilder, competitive swimmer, and 50-year old roller derby champion!)

WHEN you eat is just as important as WHAT you eat. Eating the "right" food isn't enough... you have to eat the right food at the right time.
    1. It's wise to eat a big breakfast (more than 1/3 of your daily cal intake), and CRITICAL to do so with within an hour of waking. Breakfast is an especially important time to give your body the carbs it needs to get through the day. It's like gassing up your car before you go on a road trip... you need the fuel!
    I'm not a car.
    2. If you're doing any resistance training (and you should be) then your body NEEDS protein immediately afterword. Resistance training breaks down the muscle (essentially injuring it), so your body needs new raw materials to re-build that muscle. Get at least 20 grams of protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your exercise. Protein shakes aren't just for body builders... they're for anyone who wants their muscles to do their fat-burning for them!
    No, the protein I ate hours ago is still good.
    3. When you're asleep, you want your body to be burning FAT, not burning the food you've eaten, right? A great way to accomplish this is by cutting or severely limiting carbs after lunch. Would you fill up your gas tank right before you go on a 1-month vacation? Of course not! So why would your body need a bunch of energy (i.e. carbs) before bed?! If you're going to have bread or pasta, eat it before 3pm, and save your last meal of the day for protein, vitamin, and mineral restoration (meat and veggies).
    I don't need a bunch of energy while sleeping, some carbs and nice dreams work quite well.
    A quick summary:
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper... Front-load your carbs so that your body burns fat, not food, while you're asleep.

Best of luck!

You mean well, thank you for that. :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

A quick summary:

Best of luck!

Here's a fun study

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v19/n10/full/oby201148a.html
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    oh i thought this post was going to be about the stock market
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Now I know I'm the slowest typist in the world. I don't know why I bother. :tongue:
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    El Oh El.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your trainer means well and this approach won't hinder your weight loss. However, there isn't any scientific proof to support the claims. Meal timing is completely irrelevant. It's more about personal choice.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    cpQRY.gif

This, I love.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    waynesworld-cool-story-bro.jpg
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    cpQRY.gif

Now THAT is golden.
  • poesface
    poesface Posts: 5
    Options
    Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Hey I know... maybe someone else can repeat the same thing and continue to criticize the original post? That would be best at this point. I think we need to hear it 8 more times before it really sinks in.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Hey I know... maybe someone else can repeat the same thing and continue to criticize the original post? That would be best at this point. I think we need to hear it 8 more times before it really sinks in.

Okay! Meal timing is irrelevant! :drinker: