Timing is everything...

Options

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hey I know... maybe someone else can repeat the same thing and continue to criticize the original post? That would be best at this point. I think we need to hear it 8 more times before it really sinks in.

As this subject comes up about... oh let's say once a DAY... I think it bears repeating as many times as possible.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    oh i thought this post was going to be about the stock market

I thought it was going to be about dirty jokes. :ohwell:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    sigh
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    If it works for you, that is great! Way to go taking control of your health. I love eating lots of small meals and snacks. I have lost over 8 lbs in just over 3 weeks doing it. It may not work for everyone, but I'm not eating for everyone.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Just a few words of wisdom passed down to me from an AMAZING personal trainer (former bodybuilder, competitive swimmer, and 50-year old roller derby champion!)

WHEN you eat is just as important as WHAT you eat. Eating the "right" food isn't enough... you have to eat the right food at the right time.

1. It's wise to eat a big breakfast (more than 1/3 of your daily cal intake), and CRITICAL to do so with within an hour of waking. Breakfast is an especially important time to give your body the carbs it needs to get through the day. It's like gassing up your car before you go on a road trip... you need the fuel!

2. If you're doing any resistance training (and you should be) then your body NEEDS protein immediately afterword. Resistance training breaks down the muscle (essentially injuring it), so your body needs new raw materials to re-build that muscle. Get at least 20 grams of protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your exercise. Protein shakes aren't just for body builders... they're for anyone who wants their muscles to do their fat-burning for them!

3. When you're asleep, you want your body to be burning FAT, not burning the food you've eaten, right? A great way to accomplish this is by cutting or severely limiting carbs after lunch. Would you fill up your gas tank right before you go on a 1-month vacation? Of course not! So why would your body need a bunch of energy (i.e. carbs) before bed?! If you're going to have bread or pasta, eat it before 3pm, and save your last meal of the day for protein, vitamin, and mineral restoration (meat and veggies).

A quick summary:
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper... Front-load your carbs so that your body burns fat, not food, while you're asleep.

Best of luck!

images.jpg

Best of Luck!
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    If it works for you, that is great! Way to go taking control of your health. I love eating lots of small meals and snacks. I have lost over 8 lbs in just over 3 weeks doing it. It may not work for everyone, but I'm not eating for everyone.
    Thanks lady! That was kind of the point of my post, it was a little surprising to see the directions people chose to take it. I appreciate the opportunity for dialogue, fact-sharing, and most importantly, support from other health-minded folks, so thanks for sharing your success with us!
  • adietron
    Options
    Here's a fun study

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v19/n10/full/oby201148a.html

Method: The experimental group was prescribed a standard low-calorie diet (20% protein, 30–35% fat, 45–50% carbohydrates, 1,300–1,500 kcal) providing carbohydrates mostly at dinner, whereas the control group received a standard low-calorie diet (20% protein, 30–35% fat, 45–50% carbohydrates, 1,300–1,500 kcal), providing carbohydrates throughout the day.

Result: Significantly greater weight loss was observed in the experimental group vs. the control group at the end of the study (11.6 vs. 9.06 kg).

Interpretation: Carbs at dinner can help an obese person lose 25 pounds instead of 19. Myself (and probably others reading this) don't fall into the obese group. These results should be interpreted with caution, when applying them to a demographic of anyone who is not obese.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Here's a fun study

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

Method: The experimental group was prescribed a standard low-calorie diet (20% protein, 30–35% fat, 45–50% carbohydrates, 1,300–1,500 kcal) providing carbohydrates mostly at dinner, whereas the control group received a standard low-calorie diet (20% protein, 30–35% fat, 45–50% carbohydrates, 1,300–1,500 kcal), providing carbohydrates throughout the day.

Result: Significantly greater weight loss was observed in the experimental group vs. the control group at the end of the study (11.6 vs. 9.06 kg).

Interpretation: Carbs at dinner can help an obese person lose 25 pounds instead of 19. Myself (and probably others reading this) don't fall into the obese group. These results should be interpreted with caution, when applying them to a demographic of anyone who is not obese.

following Intermittent Fasting, where I skip breakfast and have 3-4 huge meals, I eat quite a few carbs at night and lost fat while maintaining lean mass. Obese or not its okay to eat carbs at night! http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Fat Loss
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I have been a late night snacker for years..terrible habit! =/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's a fun study

I agree, and does your advice apply universally?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I have been a late night snacker for years..terrible habit! =/
    . If you can do so without overconsuming calories, it's actually not a bad habit at all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Just a few words of wisdom passed down to me from an AMAZING personal trainer (former bodybuilder, competitive swimmer, and 50-year old roller derby champion!)

WHEN you eat is just as important as WHAT you eat. Eating the "right" food isn't enough... you have to eat the right food at the right time.

1. It's wise to eat a big breakfast (more than 1/3 of your daily cal intake), and CRITICAL to do so with within an hour of waking. Breakfast is an especially important time to give your body the carbs it needs to get through the day. It's like gassing up your car before you go on a road trip... you need the fuel!
    Myth. No clinical study shows that it's critical to do this.
    2. If you're doing any resistance training (and you should be) then your body NEEDS protein immediately afterword. Resistance training breaks down the muscle (essentially injuring it), so your body needs new raw materials to re-build that muscle. Get at least 20 grams of protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your exercise. Protein shakes aren't just for body builders... they're for anyone who wants their muscles to do their fat-burning for them!
    Muscle rebuilds within 24 hours of breaking down, so as long as protein is being supplied to rebuild in that time, then it's fine.
    3. When you're asleep, you want your body to be burning FAT, not burning the food you've eaten, right? A great way to accomplish this is by cutting or severely limiting carbs after lunch. Would you fill up your gas tank right before you go on a 1-month vacation? Of course not! So why would your body need a bunch of energy (i.e. carbs) before bed?! If you're going to have bread or pasta, eat it before 3pm, and save your last meal of the day for protein, vitamin, and mineral restoration (meat and veggies).
    Myth. You burn fat at rest regardless of what you've eaten.
    A quick summary:
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper... Front-load your carbs so that your body burns fat, not food, while you're asleep.

Best of luck!
    This is BROSCIENCE at it's best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    . If you can do so without overconsuming calories, it's actually not a bad habit at all.

I always make sure I save calories for night time because I get hungry so I guess I am okay then! thanks a bunch! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I always make sure I save calories for night time because I get hungry so I guess I am okay then! thanks a bunch! :)
    . Considering you've lost 75lbs so far, I'd say late night eating is a good fit for you and I hope you continue to enjoy it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options

Thanks lady! That was kind of the point of my post, it was a little surprising to see the directions people chose to take it. I appreciate the opportunity for dialogue, fact-sharing, and most importantly, support from other health-minded folks, so thanks for sharing your success with us!
    Trying to relay facts that aren't true don't really deserve support. That would be an injustice to actual science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    cpQRY.gif

May I just say... this is the most brilliant GIF I've ever seen.

(Edited to remove unnecessary quoting. And yes, quoting the image itself was very necessary.)
  • adietron
    Options
    broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg

and for point #2

Burd NA et al. Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar protein synthesis persists for up to 24 h after resistance exercise in young men. J Nutr. 2011 Apr 1;141(4):568-73. Epub 2011 Feb 2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

This study doesn't have to do with meal timing or protein feeding; rather, it tested the hypothesis that exercise-mediated enhancement of muscle protein synthesis to feeding persists 24 h after resistance exercise.

However, the same research group that you quoted demonstrated that synthesis of the myofibrillar fraction is enhanced with protein feeding early after exercise (i.e. up to 5 h).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19124543
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch the train wreck in the morning. Why do I do this myself???