Replies

• obored1
    obored1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    well i have been following something like this and have lost almost 18 pounds in under 2 months so something is working. I do have to say that cutting out the bread, the pasta, the potato can be a bit cumbersome at first and there are definitely days when i do crave like a bagel or something. But I drink my water and go ok i have come this far. I have noticed it has stopped my spikes in sugar even though i'm not diabetic. I was in the in beginning stages of hypoglycemia. I will tell you though it has to be a lifestyle change because I did have that cupcake one day... (daughters birthday) and i gained 3 pounds the next morning.. and it STAYED for 3 days more... my lesson was learned!

You gained 3lb from eating a cupcake?

That must have been a delicious cupcake.
  • soulundefined
    Options
    well i have been following something like this and have lost almost 18 pounds in under 2 months so something is working. I do have to say that cutting out the bread, the pasta, the potato can be a bit cumbersome at first and there are definitely days when i do crave like a bagel or something. But I drink my water and go ok i have come this far. I have noticed it has stopped my spikes in sugar even though i'm not diabetic. I was in the in beginning stages of hypoglycemia. I will tell you though it has to be a lifestyle change because I did have that cupcake one day... (daughters birthday) and i gained 3 pounds the next morning.. and it STAYED for 3 days more... my lesson was learned!

You gained 3lb from eating a cupcake?

That must have been a delicious cupcake.

ohhhh it was... buttercream icing and all..
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Up you go.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    This post was started last march, bumped last may, bumped again last novermber, and bumped AGAIN now. This should just be a sticky.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also another thing to keep in mind, numerous factors can alter or effect a food's GI, such as; If you are fasted or not, how you cook the food, if the food is combined with other foods etc etc.

Not enough can be said here. The GI assumes sugar absorbtion in a fasted stated with no other foods being present. That is generaly not how we eat. Absorbtion must be taken from a whole meal standpoint.
    But bro, don't I need a high GI carb post workout to spike the insulinz and shuttle nutrients to my muscles to get swole?
    Actually post workout is one place where GI may come into play just not for the vast majority of people. If you just finished a glycogen depleting event and have another one short coming (say a few hrs) then a high GI carb to rapidly replenish glycogen might be of some use. But the vast majority of people will never find themselves in such as a situation.

As for needing a high GI carb to spike insulin to shuttle nutrients to your muscles, that is unnecessary. If you paid attention to Table 4 in the insulin index study, you'd have seen protein spikes insulin as well. And more recent research has found that further spiking insulin by adding a carb to protein post workout does not further stimulate MPS, see;
    Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 J

There is some value to high GI carb discussions in pre-workout directly following a 6-8 hour fast. A pre-work out drink that has a high GI carb in addition to a fast absorbing protein would be of value. While the actual amount of both protein and simple carb required would vary based on the type, intensity and duration of the workout, the important thing to point out is that this is directly connected to the forementioned fast.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Bumping this yet again.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Good post.

ETA: Excellent post.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    replying for later
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Great post! Glad it was bumped, I haven't seen it before.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Now how many people will believe me when I say that unless you have diabetes, GI index isn't that important.

So many people say they are fat from the fact they ate white bread or white rice instead of wheat bread or brown rice *facepalm*
    Exactly.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this before! Bookmarked.

For all those that are saying low GI worked for them, a couple of questions. Was going to low GI the only change you made in your diet. Or did you go from eating at surplus to eating at deficit. As the research indicates, GI only has any impact in an isocaloric state. Are you eating only low GI foods in a fasted state? I'm guessing not and I'm guessing you are attributing any results to the wrong factor.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Great post!! =)

Thank you for bumping!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Bumping an excellent post.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Bumping an excellent post.

Double bump.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! :drinker:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I had replied, I note, back in 2012, that I found a lower GI index diet useful for me in that I felt better. I will continue to maintain that this is true for me. I lose a bit more weight (though at this point nothing is coming off quickly) and I feel more energetic without so much processed food in my system - which is basically what the low GI index diet means (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, protein and avoiding processed foods and sugars). Now, having said that, and with respect to the fact that various scientific studies have purportedly proven this doesn't matter - I will note something about me. If/when I find something that works for me, it doesn't matter if there is a scientific basis. If I THINK it makes me feel better, lose weight faster, jump higher, run farther, etc. then that matters and no amount of scientific data can counter that. For example - for ME, taking vitamin C (orange juice) zinc and echinacea - these items shorten a cold for me and make me feel better than taking OTC cold medicines. There is no scientific data to support that - but if I THINK it makes me feel better, I do actually feel better. If I THINK that a low glycemic diet is good for me and makes me feel better or lose weight, then it is in fact a truth for me, despite said lack of scientific data. What works for a person is what MATTERS. So all the data in the world doesn't really matter positive or negative, if something works for you - emotionally, mentally, spiritually, or physically. If you think it helps you, then it probably does. Mind over matter is one of the more aspects of virtually everything you do. So, we should spend less time worrying about what everyone else thinks is right for us and more time in believing in ourselves and what works for ourselves as each one of us is unique. That's my humble opinion though. I'm certain many will differ with that. LOL.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Tagged for my reading pleasure and great info.