Does anyone feel the same? (Lost weight but still feel fat?)

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I know I am still fat because I haven't lost all I want to lose yet.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's me right now. Albeit I haven't lost as much weight as a lot of people here.. I lose weight, I gain it, but generally my non-scale measurements all move down. Should be a good thing, right?

Well I was feeling pretty good last week when I finally got to 33% body fat (max high end of healthy for my age), but then as the days went on and I kept seeing my reflection, I felt like nothing has changed.

I'm still fat. It doesn't help that my clothes are not consistent. I have a pair of size 46 jeans that I out grew ages ago, a pair of size 44s that don't cover my butt, a pair of size 42 that fit perfectly and start to get loose, and another pair of 46s that are a little loose but otherwise fit.

So did I lose weight or not? I don't know. I mean, my measurements say I did, but I feel like nothing has changed. I hate it, and I'm in this depressed funk which only makes me wonder why I even bother.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Me too! Someone said the other day "there's nothing of you" when I was trying to turn down a cookie (OK, I failed to turn it down because of that!) and I nearly came out with the "you've not seen me naked line" - but not really appropriat at work:blushing: . I see the loose bits, the wobbly bits, stretch marks etc. And I remember I was only 9st 3 when I got married. And I feel huge.

But then I wore a size 14 suit last week (a big 14, but still....) and I put on a skirt that's too loose now (bummer in a way because I like it, but good its too loose). And I managed to zip up some size 14 trousers - they still looked like a bag of potatoes but last year I couldn't even make the buttons come close.......

I think about all the time in my early 20s when I was a 12 and wouldn't wear things because of big legs etc. - now as soon as I can fit into stuff I'll wear it anyway. I know I'm not perfect and never will be, but there's plenty bigger than me (although younger) so I 'm going to live for me not what others think.

Watch out world, the hotpants are coming out of the wardrobe!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I won't say I feel fat, or think I look much different, but like was mentioned above, I can do a hell of a lot more now than I did 6 months ago. I still weigh myself every day, but don't worry too much about what it says. I get up every morning and run 3 miles, and every morning it gets easier. I can do more push-ups every day...add to the pull-ups every few days. When I look in the mirror I don't look at how fat or skinny I am, but I try and look at the more fit person I've become. Little progress each day keeps me going.

BTW...this morning it was pulling my belt to the next loop. Small victories.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way almost everyday. Not as much now.
  • superbabe612
    superbabe612 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can soooooo see where you're coming from on this one! And I thought it was just me!
    I've lost 4 stone in a year (56lbs) and I know I am thinner but I don't feel it. I'm still trying to hide behind dull colours, or baggy clothes that hide my curves/bulges.
    So now I have the problem of not knowing what suits me, what fits best, what looks right… I want to look good but the last time I felt like I looked good, I was 20! Now I'm 41!
    When I look back at really old photos from when I thought I was fat, I see a slim person in the photo. When I look at not so old photos when I really WAS fat but in self-denial, I see a slob. Now I look at myself in the mirror and it's like my head is on someone else's body! But since I still tend to avoid mirrors I don't SEE the slimmer me!
    All I know is, I'm never going back to the heavier person I used to be!
  • RikkiErin
    RikkiErin Posts: 2
    Options
    Dude, I totally fee that way! Since september I have lost 40 lbs! Went from 195 to 155. I went from a size 15 in jeans to a size 9. I still feel massively fat though. Like I was looking at my thighs today and I was like good God they're huge. I just feel obese and I know I am still overweight, but I am a lot smaller than I use to be. However, I don't actually feel smaller… I feel like I just have heaps and heaps of fat. I still need to lose about thirty pounds to get to my goal weight and I am starting to think I should lose 40. :/ 'healthy' for my height is like 110-140. Ugh I just want to look good naked. :/ It sounds weird…but if you look good naked… you'll look good in anything you wear.
  • legreyfoxx
    legreyfoxx Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm guilty to this. The most I've ever weighed was 240, and I am now currently 155 (fluctuates between 155-159) but still feel like I weigh 240 especially after every meal I feel 240 again...ugh!
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    I feel this way all the time. Sometimes i look in the mirror and cant believe that its me looking back. Having lost 165 lbs you would think I'm crazy,but being over weight,fat and out of shape for most of my life,i for some reason always feel that way. Dont get me wrong, I'm much happier now,but somehow I always feel like I need that extra 20 minutes in the gym,or i need to ride that extra 5 miles. I've gone from hearing fat jokes.to hearing skinny jokes, usually from the same people. Somehow, I just feel like nothing has changed, even though I know it has. Good to know, im not the only one with these feelings.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh, YES!!!! I have lost almost 100 pounds and its like I forgot what I used to look like. I look at pictures and see that my side by side is an amazing accomplishment. But, then I look in the mirror and still see the things I am not happy with. I am in maintenance mode of my weight loss but I see my thighs (which I lost a total of 6 inches of each thigh) has tons of cellulite, and I am so self conscious wearing shorts. I love my new body my abs are amazing. But I wish I wasn't so hard on myself. Maybe it comes with time. I have no fixes, no comforting words. I just wanted to share my view to let you know you are not alone.
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeap yeap. I've lost about 150+ pounds and some days I still feel fat. I bet one of these days even when I reached my ultimate goal I'll still think I'm fat. It's really annoying! I think some part of me thinks that if I keep telling myself I'm fat, it would prevent me from getting fatter hehe.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I feel that way often when I get overly bloated and when I plateau. I'll stop losing weight for 7-10 days and feel like I'm a total screw up instead of feeling like I've accomplished so much. Seems that the negative feelings concerning my weight are 10 times stronger than the positive ones. I've really been in a funk lately since I'm between sizes. I'm between 18 & 16 and I got totally obsessed with the scale and with underfeeding myself to try to lose more. I've taken 2 weeks off to get myself straightened out and feel like a person again instead of that constant obsession with what to eat, when to eat, how to eat... eat, eat, eat, eat. Bah! I'm real... I'm doing more real stuff for myself. If I have a snack, then so be it. I don't have to beat myself up over it as much as I have been. I've lost nearly 100 lbs. and still feel like a fat girl. :(
    What she said! I lost weight about 10 years ago, and found out that the thinner me was still -- ME! and no one seemed to care whether I was Fat Me or Skinny Me. Life just treated me the same. I was pretty depressed about that for awhile, and eventually gained it all back. So here I am, trying again, but this time I want to be stronger. I think we need to be the ones who treat ourselves better, instead of beating ourselves up for not being perfect. Everyone else is too busy worrying about themselves to give a crap about what I look like....
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Me. I have lost some weight (not a lot) and my body has changed from lifting but I still suffer from major self esteem issues and still see myself as gross.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    its really weird.

in my head i look the same as i did nearly 40kg ago, and everytime someone tells me ive done really well, look awesome blah blah blah i assume its a joke :/
  • katiekakess
    Options
    I feel the same way! I'm 17 years old, and have lost 100 pounds. (still going) I'm now 130, planning to get to 115. I'm obsessed with my weight, and it has become a big issue for me. I'm constantly counting calories, barley eating enough, i look in the mirror all the time, and still see a fat blob. :/
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes! I sometimes feel worse now than I did when I had a lot more weight...

There are days where I'm like hmm I can't wear that I think I look fat in it...and my boyfriend is just like 'you wore it all the time before you lost weight and didn't think you looked fat, why do you think that now?'

It's all in the mind...!
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hello. Just thought I'd offer a guys perspective. I'm nearly half way to my stated goal, and yet at times feel as though I'm just starting out
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Not so much when I'm alone but more so when I'm around other women who are either my size or smaller than me. I always feel like the fat girl in those situations.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That's one of the problems with diets
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I've lost roughly 48lbs (long story, don't feel like typing it out right now), and I know I'm thinner and can feel that I'm thinner and see it in the mirror... But I'm nowhere near how I thought I would feel at this weight. I'm sitting around 15% body fat, and that should feel awesome! Long story short... It doesn't. I still feel too big. It's just so frustrating