Your Thoughts on Paleo?

Options
I'm just curious if any of you have started the Paleo diet and what your thoughts/concerns are with it. I've got a girl friend doing it and she swears by it. I've heard mixed reviews though. I started to alter my diet yesterday to get in line with it... but not 100% convinced yet that it's the right path. Thoughts?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if any of you have started the Paleo diet and what your thoughts/concerns are with it. I've got a girl friend doing it and she swears by it. I've heard mixed reviews though. I started to alter my diet yesterday to get in line with it... but not 100% convinced yet that it's the right path. Thoughts?
    It's a personal choice. Any diet works if you adhere to it. But not every diet is sustainable. If you don't think you could eat that way the rest of your life, then don't take the leap.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. Any diet works if you adhere to it. But not every diet is sustainable. If you don't think you could eat that way the rest of your life, then don't take the leap.

IDEA Fitness member

This!

Paleo works for some people, doesn't work for others. It's a personal decision and only a personal decision. I eat Paleo, but I don't try to push my way of eating onto others, I just know it works for me just as it might not work for someone else.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It works for me and many many others............
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly. This is why it is sustainable for me. I can eat like this for the rest of my life.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It works for me and many many others............

Well a lot of people just aren't willing to give up grains or processed foods. More meat and veggies for the rest of us...
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This!

Paleo works for some people, doesn't work for others. It's a personal decision and only a personal decision. I eat Paleo, but I don't try to push my way of eating onto others, I just know it works for me just as it might not work for someone else.

^^^^^ This! I also enjoy Paleo....it just made sense to me.
  • tyoung75
    tyoung75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel like it would make sense if Diabetes was a concern, which in my family it is. I have 80 lbs to lose and I'm on a regular regimen at the gym. I'm sure I could adjust and adapt to this being a way of life over time. Just wasn't sure how many people have actually had success on it. Sounds like it's beneficial for many.

Starting off is hard as I'm not sure where to start. What to eat daily to make sure I'm getting enough of what I need to function. I'm sure it's just a learning process. Thanks for the input!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Eating fresh, whole foods is a good thing. I imagine, like any other lifestyle choice, there are things that you are going to have to evaluate for yourself. Are you willing to give up bread and cereal and grains? Why do you want to make the change? Even if you feel better and lose weight, will you want to conitnue eating this way? All choices and decisions you need to make. Best of luck either way.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I feel like it would make sense if Diabetes was a concern, which in my family it is. I have 80 lbs to lose and I'm on a regular regimen at the gym. I'm sure I could adjust and adapt to this being a way of life over time. Just wasn't sure how many people have actually had success on it. Sounds like it's beneficial for many.

Starting off is hard as I'm not sure where to start. What to eat daily to make sure I'm getting enough of what I need to function. I'm sure it's just a learning process. Thanks for the input!

It would probably be easiest to start out slow. While you are still researching, start changing things in your diet, instead of making all of the changes at one time. If you change everything at one time, you could feel kind of crappy for a little while until your body adjusts. That doesn't mean you are being unhealthy, it is probably more like a withdrawal type of feeling.
  • tyoung75
    Options

It would probably be easiest to start out slow. While you are still researching, start changing things in your diet, instead of making all of the changes at one time. If you change everything at one time, you could feel kind of crappy for a little while until your body adjusts. That doesn't mean you are being unhealthy, it is probably more like a withdrawal type of feeling.

That's my thought process at the moment. I've cut most of my bread and pasta out. The dairy will be tough but it's really only cheese.... which I'm sure over time I could make that change. I love fresh veggies and fruits and have found that when I crave something sweet a cutie works like a charm. I do feel it would be a lifestyle change that I would be able to implement and keep.
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started it about 6 days ago and felt SO much better than normal for the first 4 days, then the 'carb flu' set in and im feeling a bit rough, but hopefully that wont last. I've also lost about 0.8kg in 2.5 days, and have more energy.

The negatives (atm) are carb flu, the need to always be organised - no carbs means no buying a quick sandwich at lunch, so meals have to be planned ahead, and finally the cost. I'm not sure whereabouts you are based but in England health food costs so much more than rubbish.
  • blakeman187
    Options

^^^THIS^^^
  • blakeman187
    Options
    ^^^THIS^^^
  • tyoung75
    Options
    I started it about 6 days ago and felt SO much better than normal for the first 4 days, then the 'carb flu' set in and im feeling a bit rough, but hopefully that wont last. I've also lost about 0.8kg in 2.5 days, and have more energy.

The negatives (atm) are carb flu, the need to always be organised - no carbs means no buying a quick sandwich at lunch, so meals have to be planned ahead, and finally the cost. I'm not sure whereabouts you are based but in England health food costs so much more than rubbish.

I wondered how that would negatively impact the transition. Even replacing with healthy carbs in vegetable form would probably not help as much as needed. And yes, health food and produce are high here in the U.S. but it's probably not much higher than the fast food adds up to be for the week. The organization is definitely going to be the challenge but luckily I work in an office with a kitchen so I can prepare what I need daily. Thanks for your input, that is VERY helpful!
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Diet is what and how you eat everyday - not just about specific food or calorie restriction. That said, if you can incorporate and maintain healthy dietary changes - go for it!

If you can't maintain it, it's best to look for an alternative that suits your lifestyle :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty healthy to me. I couldn't last on it, though.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love Paleo. It takes a while to get used to. Definitely alot of planning ahead and research but once you get in the mode it's worth it. It's the exact opposite way of eating than what you see in the supermarkets. No packaged anything, etc. If you have a grain issue it's the way to go.
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things with it helping with PCOS but i haven't looked into it too much yet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    paleo_chart1.png
  • emanp
    emanp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just thought I'd chime in with a response from Skeptoid about paleo diets, as I find it to be a balanced view:
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4277
    The "paleolithic diet" is a fad diet based on excluding from the diet any foods developed in recorded history. Like most restrictive diets, it's generally perfectly healthy and low calorie. And, like most other diets, if adhered to it should indeed result in weight loss and generally better health. Those are the facts.

Unfortunately, many promoters of the paleo diet go well beyond the facts and make untrue and irresponsible health claims, such as their diet will prevent all sorts of diseases. That's just an unscientific sales pitch. If you want to be in great shape, exercise a lot and eat well. That's the most basic health advice of all. There is no one magical fad diet that's needed, certainly not one as arbitrarily defined as this one. If you were to survey the world's top athletes, I think you'd find very few who owe the credit to a fad diet and not to hard work and healthy living.

Personally, I look at paleo recipies and ideas as a great source of healthy food ideas, I've noticed positive changes in myself as I eat less dairy and grains, more veggies, eggs, nuts and meat. I think Michael Pollen's food rule #1 is a great guideline: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20090323/7-rules-for-eating