Running a Race with Tunes...or NOT?

Options
13»

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The rules are stupid. It's old school. It's like math teachers that don't let you use a calculator. Grow up. Times change. You change with them, or they change without you. My son, in 4th grade, is allowed to use a calculator. But, I know college professors that don't allow it. Idiots.

What is? Not allowing music? It's a safety issue. There are many races with only a partially closed course so many governing bodies outlaw it so you can hear what is going on around you or if there are emergency vehicles on course. It's not old school, it's smart.

Cool. We can agree to disagree. Not looking for an argument.

Sorry. Pretty passionate about this. It only takes once of almost getting clipped or seeing someone get clipped on a partially closed course to see the need for this rule.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I love my music. I find it motivating and can't imagine running without it!
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a safety issue, but if the rules strongly recommend against it, I will leave one out and tuck it into my shirt. I am a creature of habit and I both train and compete with music. It helps me get into my zone and allows me to focus on something other than the rhythym of my own feet.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I don't train or race with music.

Ditto! Maybe because when I first started running Walkman's were still new, and have you ever tried running with a Boom Box on your shoulder?!?!?! :-O
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The rules are stupid. It's old school. It's like math teachers that don't let you use a calculator. Grow up. Times change. You change with them, or they change without you. My son, in 4th grade, is allowed to use a calculator. But, I know college professors that don't allow it. Idiots.

With the insurance and permits necessary to host a race, Race Organizers try avoid ANY and ALL foreseeable calamities in a race. You can bet your *kitten*, someone with their earbuds in will do something stupid, causing them or someone else to get hurt... resulting in a lawsuit for the Race Organizers.

And telling someone to "grow up" is pretty damn immature.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Ditto! Maybe because when I first started running Walkman's were still new, and have you ever tried running with a Boom Box on your shoulder?!?!?! :-O

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yep, I can! I remember trying to run with one of the first Walkmans and the gigantic earphones -- so irritating, especially when you start seriously sweating. I'm sad to say my last boom box is dying a slow, agonizing death in my workout room. Booooo, HISSSSS.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have always listened to music while running, ALWAYS. I have to try to start training without it though because I'm training for the Tough Mudder, which I'm sure doesn't allow it, or it would at the very least ruin any ipods/phones/etc.

It's going to be hard. Music is very motivational to me.
  • DMRun
    DMRun Posts: 25
    Options
    I always run with music...it keeps me motivated. I have a single earbud from 'onegoodearbud.com' - it's great! One earbud in, volume down... but I'm careful to pay close attention to runners/traffic around me! Also - I use the Nike+ system and it gives me updates on my distance, pace, etc.

I ran the Tinker Bell 1/2 in January - and RunDisney discourages the use of headphones... but many runners were using them ;)

Have fun with your race!!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I train and race without. Just me and my watch, sometimes not even the watch.

The triathlons I am doing this summer don't allow it, and I hope to someday complete an Ironman Triathlon that doesn't allow it..Train how you race...so I just leave it at home..
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I train & race without.

I run alone most of the time & from a safety point of view like to know what's going on around me!! Also on quiet roads I run in the middle of the road to avoid the camber where possible so need to be able to hear cars so I can move over!!

Also as a lot of races don't allow it, I don't want to get used to music in training & then struggle in a race without it!!

I actually quite like running with my own thoughts as well - when I run that's my time & I can just think about loads if stuff that I wouldn't necessarily give myself the time to otherwise. Equally running in a race with loads of stuff going on & the crowds around you is the BEST & I wouldn't want to miss any if it!!!
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I train and race with music. I leave one earbud out so that I am aware of my surroundings and other runners. I don't give a damn about what race directors say. Music helps me to keep going long after my brain and body have shut down. Good Luck! We will have to celebrate afterward!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I train and race without. Just me and my watch, sometimes not even the watch.

The triathlons I am doing this summer don't allow it, and I hope to someday complete an Ironman Triathlon that doesn't allow it..Train how you race...so I just leave it at home..

Without a watch! Forget the ipod. That would be like going naked. Maybe I do have a little bit of OCD after all.