Is it ok to cardio on weight lifting days?

Options
13»

Replies

• arc_82
    arc_82 Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes, in fact most training programs recommend it.

I was once told by a trainer not to spend more than 5 minutes warming up. I usually jog for 5 minutes, then hit the weights. On lifting days, I do 20 minutes of cardio - on upper body days I usually do the stairmaster, on lower body days I jog (I feel like it helps work the muscles a bit and I'm less sore) after lifting. I do a total body strength training one day a week and don't follow that up with cardio. 2 nights a week I spend 30-40 minutes just doing cardio (elliptical, long fast walk pushing my son's stroller, etc.)

Weight drops faster when I do a combo.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hell yes!!!! But not the best idea to do HIIT on leg days! When I lift, I love to finish with whatever cardio I can do!

I agree....... however, if someone can do HIIT after a leg workout, they didn't do a leg workout. :ohwell:

In fact, I was just going to say that cardio is fine after a weight lifting workout, except on leg days.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hell yes!!!! But not the best idea to do HIIT on leg days! When I lift, I love to finish with whatever cardio I can do!

I agree....... however, if someone can do HIIT after a leg workout, they didn't do a leg workout. :ohwell:

In fact, I was just going to say that cardio is fine after a weight lifting workout, except on leg days.
    Heck I have trouble doing a HIIT workout the day after doing legs.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options

Heck I have trouble doing a HIIT workout the day after doing legs.

That is why I said it is not a good idea haha. It is hard to do anything the day after a leg workout but I make myself do HIIT! I did a leg workout last week and it must have been good because I felt like I was walking like Frankenstein ha! But back to the cardio thing...I think it helps after other strength sessions.