Runners: What is your mantra?

Options

Replies

• theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a few:
    - thinking about the jeans/dress/clothing article I want to wear
    - reminding myself WHY I'm out there - I enjoy running, I like to sweat, I like beating those hills
    - remembering how lucky/blessed I am to have two legs that can take me anywhere
    - thinking about the person I used to be (couch potato) and how far I've come in five years

One, or more of those, usually does the trick to keep me going.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    this is so funny - i think i've done a little bit of all of these.
    Now that Im doing more long runs (marathon is in 2 months) I find myself saying
    "No, you're not going to die. No, your legs are not actually going to fall off. Yes, you can breathe and yes, you can keep doing this"

So I'm not the only one who has moments where I think to myself "OMG. I'm going to die."
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    So many good replies!! If I feel like slowing to a walk, I always ask myself why . . . "mind, legs, or lungs?", if I can't answer myself, I tell myself to stop being lazy and keep going . . . if I can, I take a minute breather, then keep going. I also tell myself over and over that my body is a machine, this is what it is built for . . . that helps me to both keep going and kick it up a notch.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I had a mantra until I was nearing the end of a half marathon I did last fall... I kept repeating this to myself... "don't make excuses, make results!!" I don't know where I initially read or heard it but it really helped me push thought!
    I also sometimes think about that really old man that recently finished the marathon and think, "if he can do it SO CAN I!"
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    So many good replies!! If I feel like slowing to a walk, I always ask myself why . . . "mind, legs, or lungs?", if I can't answer myself, I tell myself to stop being lazy and keep going . . . if I can, I take a minute breather, then keep going. I also tell myself over and over that my body is a machine, this is what it is built for . . . that helps me to both keep going and kick it up a notch.

LOVE this!!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just pretend that the Zombies are catching up.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I say to myself...."Don't let your brain give up before your body does".
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When it gets tough I just start repeating, "finish the race".
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Long before the Biggest Loser I was saying, "No Excuses!" when I run
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I love this too, sometimes I think the same things but then tell myself Ill walk for a min then go again.. next time I think I will ask myself this question.
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    slow = steady
    steady = smooth
    smooth = fast

So... slow = fast???
    [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing... Logically that doesn't add up there...
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    "You NEVER quit with the finish line in sight. That's when you finish strong." Go Sarah Go! FINISH IT STRONG!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I focus hard on my breathing for about one minute and when I'm done with that I am usually good for another 5 minutes and then have to repeat. I feel like it gives me an extra boost every time.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

this is good!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I will talk my self down in milage... Like "almost to half", "3 miles left, - you can run three miles easy", "2 miles - two miles is a walk in the park", "1 mile - you can run 1 mile in your sleep"

If I am on a hill that is tricky = "this hill is my B!T@H" I actually have been know to say it out loud too :wink:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Quick, light, fast, go!
    I was born to run!
    Then I imagine I'm the terminator and sprint the last bit to the finish.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    "When your legs give out run with your heart."

Its also on my Road ID.

That and "Don't pants your poop"
  • CtineMc
    CtineMc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "If you jog this hill (or this entire work-out) it'll be over faster"
    "Trying is just an excuse to fail, just do it"
    "It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you do not stop"
    "Just make it just one step farther than yesterday"
    "You can do anything for 30 seconds so just go for 30 more seconds" - then repeat

Ha! I think it's actually in this order of desperation!
  • jenniakers
    Options
    When I start wearing down, I repeat: "The voice that says 'YOU CAN'T' is a lying b*tch. Prove her wrong." :devil:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    "Put one foot in front of the other... " (It's part of some song from a movie, but I can't remember which one)

"You can fly! You can fly" (When I did one of the Disney races, one of the cast members what saying this to the runners and really stuck with with me)

"You can do this... remember the first time you ran... this is a breeze compared to that..."

"if you want those sweet potato fries with your burger today, you better keep moving!"