Question for those who exercise in the morning!

Options
13»

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have been working out in the morning for the last 10 years. Here is what works for me:

1. Prepare the night before: workout plan, food and clothing.
    2. Go to bed at a consitent time, so you get enough sleep. Expect to get up that time on the weekends too.

For me, the only time of the day I truly control is the early morning when others are sleeping. No cell calls or interuptions. No excuses. You will find your day becomes much more efficient.

Change up your workout routine so it doesnt get boring..good luck.

This is pretty much me as well. I get up at 4:00, double check the weather and emails, walk the dog and then do my workout. My clothes are already laid out, as are my clothes for work. I pretty much go to bed around 9:00 every night.
    Of course, I'm somewhat of a morning person already so it's not really a big deal for me.
  • michelegshields
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30am and get to the gym by 5:00am you just have to set your mind to it and do it! I also drink a 5 hour energy when I get in my car :/ it helps!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to become a morning person (and I'm still not sure I can technically call myself that) - but, honestly, getting my workout done and out of the way early on, so I don't have to worry about it all day or try to pull myself together after work.... that's what motivates me and what eventually helped me make the adjustment.

It feels SO good to know every day - at mid-day, dinner time, before bed, whatever- that I've already gotten my workout done, know how many calories I burned, know how much (or little) I can eat that day, etc.
  • panther422516
    panther422516 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i get everything set for the next morning ahead of time the night nefore so its ready to go . i take my son to school by 9:15 im at the gym!! i eat a full breakfast cause i know ill be working hard! i try to get a good nights sleep. try to get yourself into a routine, it might make it easier good luck!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I really want to start exercising in the morning, but I am having hard time with it.
    So I was wondering if you could give me some tips that help you get up to exercise in the morning?
    Thanks in advance :)

Last year, before I got pregnant, I was getting up early to go to the gym. What got me up and going was the knowledge that I would not have any other time to do it. I'm a stay at home mom and went to a gym without childcare. If I didn't get there before everyone else got up I would go at all, even on the days when my husband got home early. I'd end up with too many other things to do. Since exercise was important to me I got up early.

(Now I've got a 2 month old baby in addition to my two older kids, I live too far away from the city to go to the gym, it's been way too cold to go outside for exercise, and pumping 45+ ounces of milk every day is burning 900+ calories, so exercise isn't a priority for me right now.)
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 every morning to hit the gym or ride my bike to work.
    1. Pack everything to night before
    2. Go to bed early
    3. Wake for a quick shower
    4. Eat something and have juice and coffee
    5. Out the door
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I joined a fitness class with my mom that is early, and it's awesome motivation because
    a. I paid for the class so I need to go to get my money's worth.
    b. I have family to participate with me with full effort too, and we like to compete a little
    c. there are really tough trainers that care about us
    d. girls of all ages and sizes are there and they can ALL do it right, so I'd better give it my all, too!

Seriously, these reasons have motivated me to work out in the a.m. more than I could have imagined. :) So basiclaly joining a class or gym with someone you know who is very motivated and can put in the effort is the ultimate motivation for me.
    Some people can just set their alarm to 5:00 am and put down 500 burpees and run 7 minute miles by themselves, but I can't do that yet, I'm just a fitness newbie!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I know that I may not get a chance to do it if I don't get up early to do it. And, I feel so much less stress if I start my day with exercise. Those alone are motivation enough. I set my alarm 15 minutes earlier than I want to work out so I can get my body moving a little first.
  • JennSuchniak
    JennSuchniak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have 4 kids. the two oldest (6 & 8) have to be up by 6:30 for school, so i try to get up at 5:30 and do ripped in 30 then before my wild two (2 & 4) are up. the only problem i've found with this, is that i'm still a bit sleepy and my balance is pretty off, lol!
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    get to bed a a decent hour... and remember when you're done you have the whole day left to play!! Sometimes I feel like I do better when I do it 5 days straight othertime I find a day in between of rest or light cardio at night helps.

GIVE IT A SHOT, YOU MAY LOVE IT!! I feel great getting it out of the way and I also make way better food choices because I don't want to undo all my hard work!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The thing that helps me the most is I shower at either the gym or at my work right after my workout. So, I dont go home at all after my workout. I am not sure if this is an option for you, but just planning on showering and getting ready for work right after my workout seams to help me. I have all my clothes and lunch packed and everything in a bag for the next day. I wake up, let the dog out, put on my gym clothes, brush my teeth and go to the gym. I eat my breakfast after I shower for work. I think this works very good for me.

I also go to bed early and get a good nights sleep for the next morning. Two days a week I go to cycling with a friend. But, I go pretty religious on my own. I have much more energy working out in the morning and I know if I worked out in the afternoon, there would be a lot of days I would just skip it because I just want to get home.

Try it. It might be difficult for a while but, once you get in the routine I LOVE it!! It's so nice to have it done and out of the way for the day! Good Luck :)
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I am not real sure what made me start getting up at 450am but I cant seem to not do it now. I am at the gym by 510 and work out till 610. I think mine is I am starting to see more definition in my arms, legs and dare I say abs. It drives me to see more. To the point that I even go back to the gym in the evenings for another hour. ADDICTED!!!!!!!!

What time do you go to sleep?

I try to get in bed by 9pm. It doesnt always happen but I try. All of this is so much easier now that my twins are grown and my youngest is in high school.