Sprint Triathlon

Options
Today is the big day! I am doing my first triathlon it is a sprint distance one. I have been training for the past few months for today. The training was the goal. The race today was just the motivation. I signed up early for the race so I had the motivation to train. I also found a group of people to train with. This has been a great thing. I am motivated to train. That is the goal of this. I am in much better shape then a few months ago and I have already picked out my next few races to keep me motivated after today. I may not be very fast but I know I can go the distance.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I used to love the multisport challenge of triathalons. Have a great race. They are a lot of fun.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! My first sprint of the season is June 6th! I did 2 last year and they are FUN!!! Have a great time!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I finished the race this morning a felt good afterwards. I finished 12th in my class. I can't wait to do my next one in June. The ocean was a little rough this morning so it made for a challenging swim. The bike went well. I am still a slow runner and have to take walk breaks. I did complete the whole course and felt good about my finish. Now back to training for my next one:smile:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was thinking of starting a group for triathletes. I have been doing sprint tri's for 6 years but took a couple years off due to a hip injury. Only did one last year, have at least 3 planned for this year. Currently I have a frozen shoulder that will hold me back on the swim a little, but I can do breastroke just not freestyle yet.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Wow, great job!!! :flowerforyou: Congrats on completing your tri - that is something I doubt I will ever do so my hat is off to you!
  • emorym
    Options
    I would be interested in that. I am having a good time training of course the weather is making that challenging I have only been able to to swim once this week and today isn't looking very good.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work!
    I'm signed up for a 1/2 marathon in October and like you it was to motivate myself to get into running. Something I never in a million years saw myself doing. I am still slow too and need breaks but I am seeing improvements each week :happy:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    I would be interested in that. I am having a good time training of course the weather is making that challenging I have only been able to to swim once this week and today isn't looking very good.

Do you always swim outside? I swim at the Y mostly, but do try to get in some lake time prior to racing. Lake Michigan is near but very cold until August, although i have a wetsuit. Not many other swimable lakes near me.
  • emorym
    Options
    Do you always swim outside? I swim at the Y mostly, but do try to get in some lake time prior to racing. Lake Michigan is near but very cold until August, although i have a wetsuit. Not many other swimable lakes near me.

I do most of my swimming at the Y . The triathlon club I joined does ocean swims twice a month. So it is off to the beach for a swim this morning. We have some lakes to swim in as well. The water is usually warm enough to swim in without a wetsuit starting mid April or beginning of May. Then all the way through October. The open water swimming is harder then the pool, you just have so many more things to deal with. We swam Friday evening in a lake, the final leg of the swim was right into the sun. This made sighting harder. Keep up the training and get out every chance you can.
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've decided to do a Sprint next year. I'm scoping out events locally that I want to sign up for, so, like you, makes me train for it.

I'm currently running (beginner program), and just joined a pool (this will be my strongest as I was a swim instructor), and I'm shopping for bikes (I have a cyclist helping me choose the best for me). I think you/we/all should start a Tri group on here.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I do most of my swimming at the Y . The triathlon club I joined does ocean swims twice a month. So it is off to the beach for a swim this morning. We have some lakes to swim in as well. The water is usually warm enough to swim in without a wetsuit starting mid April or beginning of May. Then all the way through October. The open water swimming is harder then the pool, you just have so many more things to deal with. We swam Friday evening in a lake, the final leg of the swim was right into the sun. This made sighting harder. Keep up the training and get out every chance you can.

I agree. It is important to get those outdoor swims in. It never failed that if I wasn't paying attention when I did tri's that I would swim way off course. You just don't know how to compensate for the tides and stuff.
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    think you/we/all should start a Tri group on here.

I think we just did :smile:

My Frozen Shoulder is finally starting to thaw and was able to swim 50 yards freestyle yesterday. Think I will signup for 1st tri June 27th, http://warsawoptimist.org/pages/triathlon.htm
    May end up having to swim breastroke most of the way but that's ok. :ohwell:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    woohoo, i fit back into my wetsuit!! It was tight but it supposed to be, didn't think I was going to get it on at first. With my frozen, now thawing shoulder, i was thinking of wearing my wetsuit to help me on the swim on my first tri of the season on Saturday. But now the weather has been so hot this week the water temp will be too warm. Nice to know i can get that wetsuit on again though!! :happy: Still at least 10 lbs away from where i was 4 years ago when i was heavily tri-ing.
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    woohoo, i fit back into my wetsuit!! It was tight but it supposed to be, didn't think I was going to get it on at first. With my frozen, now thawing shoulder, i was thinking of wearing my wetsuit to help me on the swim on my first tri of the season on Saturday. But now the weather has been so hot this week the water temp will be too warm. Nice to know i can get that wetsuit on again though!! :happy: Still at least 10 lbs away from where i was 4 years ago when i was heavily tri-ing.

Doesn't the suit help with buoyancy too?
  • leann_m_olson
    Options

Doesn't the suit help with buoyancy too?

Yes wetsuits help with buoyancy which helps you swim a bit faster but, for sprint tri's the time it takes to get it back off is probably an equal trade-off for fair to good swimmers, for poor swimmers it helps more. I think my shoulder will be good enough to do ok on the swim without it tomorrow. The water is definately too warm by USAT rules to wear one.
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    How many people my age can say the went for a swim in a lake, rode their bike, and went for a run?? What a beautiful day for a triathlon! Had alot of fun. My swim was slow as expected from my bad shoulder but the rest went very well. Had fun on the bike trading spots with a group of women. Not sure how many calories I burned today though, guess I will have to take each even separately and log. :happy:
  • reportergirl
    Options
    Good luck: I've done three sprint triathlon's and I assure everyone - this is the best way to lose weight. I just came back from a two hour 20+ km bike ride, and earned some bonus calories at the same time.
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    How many people my age can say the went for a swim in a lake, rode their bike, and went for a run?? What a beautiful day for a triathlon! Had alot of fun. My swim was slow as expected from my bad shoulder but the rest went very well. Had fun on the bike trading spots with a group of women. Not sure how many calories I burned today though, guess I will have to take each even separately and log. :happy:

That's awesome! Great job! Who cares what cal burn you had, it was fun, and that's what matters! So when is your next event? :wink:

I went bike shopping yesterday while you were actually doing the work :tongue: I think I'm gonna start with the Giant Defy 1.
  • leann_m_olson
    Options

That's awesome! Great job! Who cares what cal burn you had, it was fun, and that's what matters! So when is your next event? :wink:

I went bike shopping yesterday while you were actually doing the work :tongue: I think I'm gonna start with the Giant Defy 1.

Next Sprint Tri for me is July 11th, it's in our town and the run goes past our house. Lots of pressure to look good when running past the neighbors houses :laugh:

Did you purchase the bike? Giant's are good., you'll be happy with your purchase. I bought my bike used about 6 years ago now, it is a Specialized Allez. Do you have a Tri planned?
  • CoachFoland
    Options

Next Sprint Tri for me is July 11th, it's in our town and the run goes past our house. Lots of pressure to look good when running past the neighbors houses :laugh:

Did you purchase the bike? Giant's are good., you'll be happy with your purchase. I bought my bike used about 6 years ago now, it is a Specialized Allez. Do you have a Tri planned?

I haven't purchased it yet. I will before the end of July. I don't have a tri planned yet, but I am signed up for a Duathlon in Sept. My running is still a bit shoddy, so I haven't had the time to get in the pool too much. I'm planning my first tri for early next year.