Sprint Triathlon

Options
2»

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Do you always swim outside? I swim at the Y mostly, but do try to get in some lake time prior to racing. Lake Michigan is near but very cold until August, although i have a wetsuit. Not many other swimable lakes near me.

I do most of my swimming at the Y . The triathlon club I joined does ocean swims twice a month. So it is off to the beach for a swim this morning. We have some lakes to swim in as well. The water is usually warm enough to swim in without a wetsuit starting mid April or beginning of May. Then all the way through October. The open water swimming is harder then the pool, you just have so many more things to deal with. We swam Friday evening in a lake, the final leg of the swim was right into the sun. This made sighting harder. Keep up the training and get out every chance you can.

I did all of my training in the Y pool. Our local tri club has Wednesday night open water swims so I have been going to those. IT does help w/ the sighting, it's strange when you are used to swimming in lanes to get used to looking out for the buoys!!

Good luck to those training, I have an Olympic tri coming up on July 18th!!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread??

I did my first tri last November, since then I've done 5 !! I did a sprint last weekend, and I have one more (an olympic distance) coming up next month! unfortunatly I'm leaving Hawaii the end of August, so I dont know when I'll be doing another one :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options

I did my first tri last November, since then I've done 5 !! I did a sprint last weekend, and I have one more (an olympic distance) coming up next month! unfortunatly I'm leaving Hawaii the end of August, so I dont know when I'll be doing another one :grumble:

You can do Tri's all over, though I would like to do ANYTHING in Hawaii :tongue:

If you go to www.trifind.com - you can look up any state and find events.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options

You can do Tri's all over, though I would like to do ANYTHING in Hawaii :tongue:

If you go to www.trifind.com - you can look up any state and find events.

yeah, I'm going to iraq... dont think I'll be doing them there :laugh: but in about a year, I'll start looking for another one to do!!!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Be careful over there!! Do what training you can and when you get back you can start back competing. I read about a guy who was over there and was training for an Ironman. He was having trouble finding a place to swim but he was still running and riding on trainers and treadmills.

Make sure and keep us posted you will have a great cheering section from this group.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Be careful over there!! Do what training you can and when you get back you can start back competing. I read about a guy who was over there and was training for an Ironman. He was having trouble finding a place to swim but he was still running and riding on trainers and treadmills.

Make sure and keep us posted you will have a great cheering section from this group.

Most definately!!
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    Thankfully they are having lake swim practice this year before our town Tri, i'm going to swim in the lake Tues, Wed, thurs... race on Saturday. For anyone doing their first tri please get in a lake swim, it is so much different than swimming in a pool, helps you practice sighting..

Good Luck to all Triathletes this weekend. :flowerforyou: Praying for dry weather. :smile:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    Well it was storming at 6am on Saturday morning and we were wondering what they would do about the tri but the rain stopped around 7:15 and we rode from our house to the packet pickup(1/2 mile from our home). By the time the swim started the sun was out and it ended up being a beautiful day!! My swim went well, frozen shoulder and all, bike was ok(wish I was better on the hills), run felt good too. My time was 1:24:52 , so well below my goal of 1:30! I have so much fun everytime I tri, can't wait until the next one on August 2nd, LaPorte YMCA, IN sprint triathlon. :smile:

Hope everyone else had a great race weekend.
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    Well it was storming at 6am on Saturday morning and we were wondering what they would do about the tri but the rain stopped around 7:15 and we rode from our house to the packet pickup(1/2 mile from our home). By the time the swim started the sun was out and it ended up being a beautiful day!! My swim went well, frozen shoulder and all, bike was ok(wish I was better on the hills), run felt good too. My time was 1:24:52 , so well below my goal of 1:30! I have so much fun everytime I tri, can't wait until the next one on August 2nd, LaPorte YMCA, IN sprint triathlon. :smile:

Hope everyone else had a great race weekend.

Awesome job! Sounds like a plan that came together nicely :happy:
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    I finally got myself a bike. This should get me through until I can afford the Defy 1 that I want.

6160_102780337046_561092046_2597964_3784635_n.jpg
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    I finally got myself a bike. This should get me through until I can afford the Defy 1 that I want.

6160_102780337046_561092046_2597964_3784635_n.jpg

My used bike has lasted me 5 years, i wish i could afford a new one, will have to wait a few years until we are done paying for colleges!! Have fun on your bike, you're going to love it.
  • CoachFoland
    Options
    I'm doing my first race on May 22, 2010. I'm doing the Terre Haute Triathlon. It is a sprint distance, and I'm really looking forward to it.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    See if you can find some people to train with. That helps keep me motivated. I am looking forward to doing several more triathlons next season. You will have to let us know how your training is going and how the race goes. If you have any questions let me know, I have only done 4 tri's so I am not an expert but I would be glad to share what i know.