How skinny is too skinny?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On the other hand... I'd rather someone show genuine (even if misplaced) concern for my well-being than have a serious problem and have people ignore it.

I know I'm my own worst critic... at least I'm my own worst critic since my ex-boyfriend's mother died, because she hated my guts and was really my worst critic, and an evil, evil woman. But back on topic... I sometimes have absolutely no clue how I look to the rest of the world. I look in the mirror, and I don't think I look much different than how I looked in the mirror when I weighed 30 pounds more. And I really didn't think I looked that much different when I was in my mid-20s and only weighed about 103 pounds. So there's an almost 60 pound range where I felt pretty much... the same size. I don't see changes unless I compare photos side by side. So how good is my judgement?

I know I eat quite a bit of food, and that I'm pretty darn far away from looking too skinny. But I'm also not going to be upset if someone either cares enough to ask if I'm ok, and I'm certainly not going to turn down any offers for a cupcake, bacon double cheeseburger, or baked potato. :happy:
  • lorelei105
    lorelei105 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When you are having health problems from being underweight. Otherwise I think it is no ones business

Agreed

I agree that severe health issues are the marker of too "skinny" -- although really, health problems are just a marker of not eating properly and that's not necessarily related to her weight at all. You can be super skinny and be perfectly healthy, active, and nourished, and I don't think that's a problem at all.

Also, in my opinion, unless you're the person's loved one/family member, it's not your business at all even if they are unhealthy.

Agree 100% with all of this!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Too skinny is a weight you cannot maintain in a healthy way.

This!
  • coreymo
    coreymo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time and it pisses me off! I've lost 80lbs in the last 14 months in a healthy way and I want to lose a few more pounds for me. As it stands I'm within the healthy range on the BMI but JUST barely! How can that possibly be too skinny? it's pretty annoying. My goal from the get go was to be healthy. I am but I'd like to be able to step on any scale wearing anything at any time of day and still be within the healthy range on the BMI for my age and MY height. Is it really any of anyone else's business?

I am in the same situation. I have just reached a healthy BMI but BARELY. I am at exactly 25, and 26 is over weight. But everyone is getting worried about me. In reality, I can still lose 10-20 more lbs and still be healthy, not underweight. I'm finding it hard to get support to lose that last 10lbs. I, like you, just want to be able to step on any scale at any time with any clothes and have a healthy BMI.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. I am currently 114 pounds at 5"5, but I look my best and fittest at 110. I am extremely fine boned, so being this borderline healthy weight looks good on me. However, some girls at my height with a bigger build could look bony at my size, or would not be able to reach it altogether.

It also depends on muscle mass. I feel like people only look too thin when they're all bone, and no muscle.

In terms of your inner self, you're too thin if your periods stop, your hair is falling out, and you're tired all the time. And girls please, you're meant to have a bum, boobies or hips. If you don't, it's weird!

EDIT: I also have PCOS, and funnily enough I only menstruate when I'm BELOW 112 pounds!
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I believe skinny is only "too skinny" if it requires starvation and/or mass amounts of exercise to achieve/maintain.
    I've had people tell me to stop losing because "I won't look good" if I lose any more and I "look sick" because I've lost "too much". It's rather offensive and unfair. I'm 5'6'' and 134 lbs, not what I would call skinny. I've lost weight (36 lbs) just by changing my eating habits (I only started exercising after losing 25 lbs). I guess it's all down to personal opinion.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    When you are having health problems from being underweight. Otherwise I think it is no ones business

Agreed

I agree that severe health issues are the marker of too "skinny" -- although really, health problems are just a marker of not eating properly and that's not necessarily related to her weight at all. You can be super skinny and be perfectly healthy, active, and nourished, and I don't think that's a problem at all.

Also, in my opinion, unless you're the person's loved one/family member, it's not your business at all even if they are unhealthy.

Agree 100% with all of this!

I agree Julie, if someone is in perfect health and too "skinny" to people then I say let it be. I was talking more of the severe health issues mentioned above though ^-^
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    When it's to the point I can count someone's ribs and see their spine, I get a little weirded out.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I am still in the overweight range and people are already telling me this. It pisses me off. I don't think it's "too skinny" unless it's below the weight for the height/build of the individual. I'm freaking 5'2'' and weigh 145. I'm NOT too skinny.
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    I get this all the time and it pisses me off! I've lost 80lbs in the last 14 months in a healthy way and I want to lose a few more pounds for me. As it stands I'm within the healthy range on the BMI but JUST barely! How can that possibly be too skinny? it's pretty annoying. My goal from the get go was to be healthy. I am but I'd like to be able to step on any scale wearing anything at any time of day and still be within the healthy range on the BMI for my age and MY height. Is it really any of anyone else's business?

I am in the same situation. I have just reached a healthy BMI but BARELY. I am at exactly 25, and 26 is over weight. But everyone is getting worried about me. In reality, I can still lose 10-20 more lbs and still be healthy, not underweight. I'm finding it hard to get support to lose that last 10lbs. I, like you, just want to be able to step on any scale at any time with any clothes and have a healthy BMI.

I know I've posted this before, but BMI is an awful way to measure healthy weight. It doesn't take muscle mass or frame size into account at all. I know that when I am at a 25 BMI, I look really thin, I am 5'7" and 25 BMI for me is 159lbs. The lowest I've weighed as an adult was 150, and even the BMI is in the "healthy" range, I looked so, so, scary thin!!!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion? If you don't have muscle you're "too skinny". Skinny fat is awful in my mind.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I personally think that too skinny is when someone IS unhealthy. Same with too fat...if you are unhealthy you need to make changes.

Too skinny is when the person has brittle bones, thinning hair, loses teeth, and their bones are sticking out everywhere. This is not healthy.

Unhealthy is not attractive.

Some people will always be 'too skinny'. My friend is a prime example of a woman who just never gains weight. She eats and eats and eats, but she just doesn't gain that much weight. Since highschool her body has changed, but she is still around 114 at 5'7. During hih school people would always make fun of her and call her anorexic. I remember so often she'd go into the girls washroom to cry becasue it hurt her feelings.

I guess there is just no pleasing people. Some of us will be too fat, some will be too skinny. Luckily beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I'm very tall and have a slim build. I'm not really trying to lose a ton of weight, I just find that when I get to a certain number I feel most comfortable in a two piece swim suit (which is only 2 pounds away from my usual weight). I eat healthy and try to exercise, I eat back every single exercise calorie in sight! I find it very annoying that when I mention going to to the gym some friends will comment "aren't you thin enough?".
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has their own opinion of what is too thin and also what is too large. I know that even my opinion of too thin changes depending on each and every person but at the same time I keep that opinion to myself. Unless you know everything about someone you're not in a position to judge them - and I make sure I explain that to anyone who feels the need to comment on my weight.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you need to eat in an unhealthy manner to get and stay that way.

Someone can be technically a normal weight, but if they need to eat at near starvation levels to stay at that weight, it's not a healthy weight for them as an individual.

How do you classify unhealthy manner?

Maybe some people just can't eat as much as others and maintain their weight. Doesn't automatically mean the weight they strive for is not healthy for them. Could be other reasons.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    when you reach the point of being unhealthy.

if your a woman, and you've lost your period and your skin/hair is drying out. you have an issue. xP

i think different weights and body types are healthy on different ppl. so i think that as long as your healthy and feel good it shouldnt matter. but the things i mentioned above are signs your body fat is too low. >~<

^^^^^This^^^^^
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Agreed

^^^This this this.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, bones and ribs are not flattering, and should not be visible, and little meat is good. Personally I like the Pinup Girl, hour glass look.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (though not always the "you're too skinny comment" translates into "you got skinnier than me and that makes me uncomfortable so you need to stop losing weight because it makes me feel bad about my own lazy now fatter than your bum"