burning crazy amount of calories and not losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I read that as her total calorie burn for the day..including bmr and exercise. It's still a lot but my hrm logs me at 500 calories during an hour of cardio. It's still seems excessive but not impossible if her bmr is high.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I read that as her total calorie burn for the day..including bmr and exercise. It's still a lot but my hrm logs me at 500 calories during an hour of cardio. It's still seems excessive but not impossible if her bmr is high.

That's what I read it as too. Which also makes her net not quite as negative, although it's still not good.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Cardio less. Add more strength training.

(assuming that cardio is why you are burning all those calories...those are insane amounts)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You really should eat more. Having a negative net caloric intake is harmful to you.

You don't need to be doing P90X for 400 minutes a day. You will lose weight if you switch up what you are doing. Exercise less, a lot less and eat more. What you're doing now is giving your body NO FUEL to function. We aren't on the biggest loser here. This is NOT healthy at all.

It may be a good idea to take a visit to your doctor if you are exercising that much. I hate to say it but it's an eating disorder of sorts. Not eating a lot and exercising crazy amounts a day.

You don't need to do that much.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    No offense, but you are not burning off 2700-3200 calories a day.
    I'm an MMA fighter and i train 4 hours a day, cardio, strength/conditioning, hard sparring and technical (jiu jitsu, kickboxing, judo, wrestling etc) and burn off AT MOST 800 calories, and this is being extremely reasonable.
    You are seriously over estimating yourself.

Running a 26 mile (41km) marathon burns off at most 3500 calories, you're telling me that you're doing about a marathon every single day? i'm just sitting here laughing at you.

800 calories for a 4 hour workout?!?!? Man, you must be in top form. I average 750 just for one hour of kickboxing! I'm brand new to the sport, but loving it! :love: :bigsmile:

I ran a half marathon and burned 1200. Of course, it took me 2.5 hours. :embarassed:

Snecker I'm certainly expert on weight loss, or I wouldn't still be trying to lose the last 15#, but logic tells me if workout out more and eating less isn't working for you, try eating more and working out less. The only thing you have to lose is perhaps a minor gain and you will know whether or not it was a good choice.

Good Luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm an MMA fighter and i train 4 hours a day, cardio, strength/conditioning, hard sparring and technical (jiu jitsu, kickboxing, judo, wrestling etc) and burn off AT MOST 800 calories, and this is being extremely reasonable.

Running a 26 mile (41km) marathon burns off at most 3500 calories, you're telling me that you're doing about a marathon every single day? i'm just sitting here laughing at you.

Get off your pedestal and stop lying to yourself, if you were anywhere as near as fit as i am, then i should just shoot myself in the foot

Not all true - you must be in top condition and/or not very big burning that little - I burn around 800 on a longer run (10-12km ), and it is quite possible to burn up to 5000 cals during a marathon (42kms)....
    I agree that the OP is doing something wrong, but YOUR burn does not mean that everybody else is lying about theirs....
    you sound a little angry too, maybe you should go and kick something?
  • msbellzee
    msbellzee Posts: 69
    Options

Get off your pedestal and stop lying to yourself, if you were anywhere as near as fit as i am, then i should just shoot myself in the foot

Wow that's just nasty, why would you sit there and laugh at someone who is asking for help.

Seems the op is new and perhaps she isn't estimating her burn correctly, doesn't mean she's lying to herself, it means she's learning and asking for advice.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ive bumped up my calories and feel as if Im eating like a wilderbeast lol but what if your not hungry and you have something like 400-600 cals to go at the end of your day? :/

Do you just force it down?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Once in a while it's OK to leave it be - as long as you are not in a huge deficit on a daily basis...I never eat when I am not hungry, but then I'm usually never at extreme low calories as I stick to 1600 net minimum per day
  • NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm new to this and was thinking the same thing (why am I not losing weight:grumble: ). I've been doing Insanity and Jillian's 30day Shred(I only do her dvd 3x/wk) for about 2wks (I took a week off because my body wasn't budging no matter how hard I tried to workout). My frd told me to take a week off and I did and lost 1pd (lol, go figures). I started Insanity on Monday. I can't believe how much I enjoy doing the workout but I'm having a very difficult time eating my calories. My BMR says I need 1500, I set my goal for 1200, but I'm hardly hitting 1000 :cry: I don't know what to do. I'm doing a low carb diet. If anyone can help me, I will greatly appreciate it. Oh and I've lost 18pounds so far (prior to Insanity) I still have 37pds to go.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the advice, i have been doing p90x in the morning followed by extreme weight lifting on machine, and then
    a few miles on the treadmill in the evening. so i will slow it down to just p90x and treadmill and see if this helps. thank you to
    the helpful people and for those who think its cool to be rude instead of helpful, screw you i know what excercise i do everyday
    and i know its extreme, so thanks.

You still need to eat more, period.

Look at it this way:

Let's just assume you need 1400 cals a day to be at 3500 cal/week deficit which is the same as 1lb/week weight loss. More and you will lose weight more slowly, less and your body will either make up the different by consuming its own muscle (hence the term "skinny-fat") or it will simply up insulin production to ensure anything you DO put in gets stored because it's unsure of where the hell the food that it requires for daily energy use is going to come from next.

With that out of the way:

1. You wake up and do P90x, burning 400 calories; you now need 1800 calories for the day
    2. You eat a solid breakfast for 600 calories; you now need 1200 for the day
    3. You go run for a while, burning 350 calories; you now need 1550 for the day
    4. You suck down a Gatorade and eat a carby lunch after all that running; you're down to needing 700 calories for the day
    5. You do hills on the bike for an hour, burning another 400 calories; you're up to needing 1100 calories for the rest of the night.
    6. You manage to cram down a big steak, steak fries, and a big salad at a restaurant and you're now at -50 calories.

Congratulations, you will lose a 1/7th of a pound from all of that work. Now you repeat that for 6 more days and lose a pound. Repeat it for a month and lose 4-5 pounds. Etc, etc, etc.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Overtraining is a bizzznatch.
  • myhazleyes
    Options
    Hi I am new here...I had the BOPOD test done and my RMR was 1964 and with the activity we are doing with my trainer it says I am burning 3400 cal....I am on a 1300 cal diet and cant lose an ounce of weight. We started with the trainer 3 weeks ago....do I need to up my calories?? This is all so confusing to me....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new here...I had the BOPOD test done and my RMR was 1964 and with the activity we are doing with my trainer it says I am burning 3400 cal....I am on a 1300 cal diet and cant lose an ounce of weight. We started with the trainer 3 weeks ago....do I need to up my calories?? This is all so confusing to me....

You might want to start a new thread for this question since this thread is over a year old and most people won't read past the first post.

Personally, I'm a big fan of eating more if you're burning that many calories. But keep in mind that if you're doing really intense exercise with your trainer your muscles may be holding onto extra water to help cushion and repair them. Sometimes this masks any fat loss that's happening.
  • myhazleyes
    Options
    good point...im news obviously lol thank you!