What do you do when you're sick? Do you diet? Do you exercis

Options
I've got this stupid head cold with bad reaction to all the tree pollen that's out very early this year which is tweaking my asthma and wrecking havoc with me. I haven't worked out for two days as I can't stop coughing. Maybe got 5 hours of sleep after finally giving up lying down and sleeping in my recliner in the living room. Don't worry I'm monitoring my temp and if it goes above 102 I'm off to the doctor, or if this lasts more than 14 days. I went back on my antihistamine and singulair, and refilled my rescue inhaler, although I was so happy to be off everything and working out like a mad woman.

I really miss my workouts, and I upped my calories as I don't want to stress my body as I tend to get sinus infections, bronchitis or if I'm really special, pneumonia. But I'm worried about falling behind, turning into mush again. I guess a week of taking it easy won't erase nine months of working out and change, but it's kind of creepy not pushing myself.

What do you all do? Is there a guide as to when it's good to start back? How long you should wait? Viruses last 10 to 14 days but do you have to wait that long? What's the runny nose etiquette for when you're at a gym? And the coughing etiquette? Any and all opinions are welcome.

Replies

• eros8801
    eros8801 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I started eating junk when I was sick and now I'm back on the sweets heavy! It's like a crazy addiction. I traded meals for chocolate bars and it sort of worked for a minute. I need to start over too. Being sick SUCKS. And Atkins' book said that one of the things that keeps weight on is antihistamines ( but this allergy season- my doctor made me promise I'd take them every day to keep away from KILLER sinus infections ). I have to get back to the lifestyle change that was making me feel better about myself. As for your question-- I needed to sleep A LOT to recuperate. I took some walks outside. No gyms. That would get other people sick too--- right?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well, exercising outside during high pollen is a no-no for me. I need an air-conditioned gym so I can work out and not get dosed by everything I'm allergic to. I don't want to get people sick, but we wipe down all the machines after we use them...
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Have had flu symptoms for 2 days but appetite was still fair. Stayed pretty straight, except no exercise meaning I had to really watch what I ate. had to be more strict.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Here's how I handle things.

I only go to the gym when I feel that the following circumstances are true:

1) I am no longer contagious.
    2) I can do at least a low volume workout (50% or so) without feeling like I'm causing more harm than good.
    3) I feel at least moderately functional. For example, if I had a stomach bug (gastroenteritis) there would be no way in hell I'd go anywhere near the gym, or near any other people, for a few days after I'm done with all symptoms.

I realize the above are both somewhat silly statements.

I currently am fighting a cold and bronchitis and it started with Strep two weeks ago. I took a total of 10 days completely off of the gym. Last week and this week I'm lifting, but with reduced volume, slightly reduced loads, increased rest time.

As far as food tracking, I'm skipping it altogether when sick. I'm also enjoying the mental break. I believe I tracked two or three days in the past week just to get an indication of how much I'm eating. Fortunately for me, I'm able to go by feel and still end up "close" to my targets.

EDIT: Also, sleep > workouts when sick, for me. This is pretty much always the case as I'm not a good sleeper for the most part. If I feel tired enough to nap and my schedule allows it, I will always choose this when fighting an illness.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    I had the stomach norovirus just last month. I hate this time of year. One thing to another. Can't wait until it's over.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible cold for 2 weeks earlier this month. I struggled to get at least 3 to 4 hrs of sleep. I personally made the choice to rest. I Have a half marathon coming up so the break from runners was not the best thing for my training. However now I feel great and back in the swing of things! I also had a hard time eating anything and stuck with a lot of soup or protein shakes.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • ahavoc
    Options
    Here's how I handle things.

I only go to the gym when I feel that the following circumstances are true:

1) I am no longer contagious.
    2) I can do at least a low volume workout (50% or so) without feeling like I'm causing more harm than good.
    3) I feel at least moderately functional. For example, if I had a stomach bug (gastroenteritis) there would be no way in hell I'd go anywhere near the gym, or near any other people, for a few days after I'm done with all symptoms.

I realize the above are both somewhat silly statements.

I currently am fighting a cold and bronchitis and it started with Strep two weeks ago. I took a total of 10 days completely off of the gym. Last week and this week I'm lifting, but with reduced volume, slightly reduced loads, increased rest time.

As far as food tracking, I'm skipping it altogether when sick. I'm also enjoying the mental break. I believe I tracked two or three days in the past week just to get an indication of how much I'm eating. Fortunately for me, I'm able to go by feel and still end up "close" to my targets.

That's a great way to do things. I never know what to do. My husband pressures me to start working out. He's one of those, "Oh, you got a cold, go run three miles and you'll be fine..." kind of people. I really appreciate your candor and it makes me feel that allowing my body to heal is a much better way to go. But I've never been brave enough to NOT log in my food.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    No one else out there gets sick then. You lucky people you.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too and my husband. He dealt with it by upping his calories to "maintain" his weight and feed his cold...I kept mine the same but I don't really care if I go over when I'm sick.

Lots of hot drinks too
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I usually have one of two different types of sick. Either a good workout and a carton of orange juice will kick it out of my system...or I am sick enough that I literally "get sick" immediately after my work out. Either way, I feel better as an end result and I learn exactly how sick I am.

If its the latter, I just rest up for a couple days and drink tons of fluids.

P.S. If I even think I'm sick I will work out at home. I can't stand people coughing, sneezing and wheezing around the gym and I'm sure no one wants to see me doing it either.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    I made myself tea with honey. Honey! It's local honey to help with allergies, but I haven't had anything sweet like that in ages. It's nerve wracking because I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I don't think I am.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I made myself tea with honey. Honey! It's local honey to help with allergies, but I haven't had anything sweet like that in ages. It's nerve wracking because I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I don't think I am.

I would do your best to relax and not concern yourself too much with calories right now. Mental health is important too.
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No one else out there gets sick then. You lucky people you.

I haven't been severely ill since I started working out (cause and effect? Hope so!), but just before I did start, I had sinusitis for three weeks... and the reason it lasted that long was because I pushed myself all through the first week trying to cram as much in as I could, because it was my only week home for six weeks before and six weeks after. Usually it only takes 1-2 weeks to shake sinusitis (I get it a lot. :/), so I really think you should rest and only work out if your body feels like you're helping rather than hindering your recovery. If that helps.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. xD
  • ahavoc
    Options
    Mental health, what's that? ;-)!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just got over the stomach flu. Took it real easy, but since my gym is at home, I only worked out when I fet I had the energy. personally, if you have a bad cough, dont strain yourself too much, you dont want to catch pneumonia. Allow your body to rest. it needs all the energy it can get to make you healthy again and if you using that energy workout, it will have less to use to mend your body.

Hope you fee better soon! :)
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It depends on the level of how sick I am. If I am to where I can't lift my head I don't work out but if it isn't to bad I will try and work out. By doing light yoga or a light work out.
  • edith0827
    Options
    Agreed!
  • MissYatta
    MissYatta Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been sick for the past couple of days and I have not been able to meet 1200 calories, though I've tried hard. Just didn't have it in me to eat or do anything else for that matter. Today is the first day I've felt well enough to try to get back on track. Gonna eat a few extra calories to make up for the lost ones.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eat to get better, Your body needs the calories.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Dont chance it, not even if you are slightly better. I was sick for almost 3 months last year due mainly to not letting my body get over a simple cold that I had. I went for a run when I thought I was a little better and then I felt worse than I did beforehand.