What do you do when you're sick? Do you diet? Do you exercis

Options
2»

Replies

• ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Dont chance it, not even if you are slightly better. I was sick for almost 3 months last year due mainly to not letting my body get over a simple cold that I had. I went for a run when I thought I was a little better and then I felt worse than I did beforehand.

That's the scary part. Coming back too fast, too soon. I have a problem discerning when the best time is to start back, but everyone is giving great ideas here.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I feel you! One this that helps is if you cut and all dairy (or most of it) during allergy season. It really helps.

Also, Soup. I like Progresso. You aren't busting your calories and soup is so nice when you have a head cold :smile:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna

EDIT: When I go to the gym with a runny nose I....

1) Take Kleenx (for nose but you don't blow just wipe of the dribbles)
    2) Extra Towel
    3) Sniffle (which people don't care if you do)
    4) Sneeze into elbow (if big ones go a-flying then just wipe of with extra towel)
    5) And wipe down the machine extremely well......

Other than that you will be fine. Just don't go as hard as you normally would (which can be hard :ohwell:)
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I had a horrible chest cold...coughing, coughing, coughing....went to the dr and got meds and a shot...keep to my calories but did not even try to exercise. I still lost weight during that two weeks. I think coughing must be an exercise. LOL
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been sick since starting and I didn't exercise but I did eat and made sure that I ate what I could but that I did not go over my max for the day. It was pretty easy because when I'm sick I just sleep most of the time anyway.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    I had a horrible chest cold...coughing, coughing, coughing....went to the dr and got meds and a shot...keep to my calories but did not even try to exercise. I still lost weight during that two weeks. I think coughing must be an exercise. LOL

Yes, it's one way to get that six pack happenin'!
  • ahavoc
    Options
    bump
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Have had flu symptoms for 2 days but appetite was still fair. Stayed pretty straight, except no exercise meaning I had to really watch what I ate. had to be more strict.

I need to add to this. I had total body aches head to toe and couldnt get off couch due to exhaustion. didn't even go to work. Unfortunately, Im a bit of a baby with body aches or what I call flu like sx's. No sniffles, no GI, just body aches, totally frozen one day, and then hot that night.
    Now, feeling better, reading the posts and Im gonna hoist my *kitten* off the couch tomorrow and go see what I can do. I would like to at least get some cardio in on the eliptical and rowing machine.
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was really sick with a terrible bronchitis which morphed into a sinus infection for about six weeks beginning at the end of November. I would feel like hell for a few days then I would have a perkier day or two then down again. it was brutal! During that time I continued to log (until Christmas when I had no internet access at the lake) and eat my allotted calories. I took a week off from the gym at the height of the "first wave". Over Christmas, when the sinus thing hit me hard, I went for walks outside everyday at a more relaxed pace. I also napped as often as possible! I continued losing weight while I was sick - even without the strenuous work-outs. In any case, I do think you need to take care of yourself and listen to your body. If you don't feel well enough to exercise - don't do it. If you think you are contagious, stay out of the gym. It's all to be expected and your hard work will not all disappear because you're sick for a few days (or, even, in my case weeks!) You have changed your habits for good! Feel better soon :)
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over a double ear infection, plus the head cold that travelled to my chest.

I skipped the gym for a week, and did some light stuff at home. I have barely met my food goals for the last week. Just started picking up the last day or two.

I spent the majority of my week sick sleeping as best as I could.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Luckily, I haven't recently been sick enough to not feel like eating... in fact mild sickness makes me feel more hungry. I do try and go for healthier options - lots of fruit and vege for those extra vitamins but also some comfort food to just make you feel good. I may do a pasta bake or curry or hearty soup. As soon as I feel like a cold is coming on, I do increase my intake of vege and fruit (and garlic!) Perhaps it's just a habit and has no real benefit, but I swear good food does make me feel better.

I feel terribly lazy saying this, but I won't even push myself exercise wise if I'm in the middle of 'the worst' of a mild cold. Will I go for a brisk walk if I feel ok? Sure. But I won't go for a run until I feel that my body is ready. In my mind, it needs all the energy to get back to health asap. This doesn't mean I remain bed-ridden with a mild cold, but I wouldn't personally push my workouts or go to the gym. Thankfully of late I have only missed a couple of days of exercise due to sickness since of started my lifestyle change. It's ok to give your body a rest.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that exercise can relieve flu symptoms. I really don't know if that's true or not. I don't get sick often like I used to, so I haven't really had a chance to find out. Knock on wood.
  • patkterry
    patkterry Posts: 50
    Options
    I have severe allergy attacks a couple times a year. I stay on the same calorie track, but I refrain from working out for a few days... if it sustains and lasts forever like they usually do, I go to gym anyway.. maybe one less day a week or something..
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm sick at the moment I've had the flu for the last week and haven't worked out at all unless you count chasing my three kids around as working out. All I've wanted to do all week is sleep but sadly my little monsters can't be left so ive had to keep going. As for food I've tried to stick to the same calorie goal but the main problem I have had is drinking. I don't know why but whenever I'm ill I really struggle to drink. Strange thing is I've lost 3lb this week which most of it I think is due to dehydration so I'm sure it will be back she. I'm better.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    They say... any symptoms below the neck and stay away from the gym until you are better!

I can sometimes sweat out a head cold, but if I have a chesty cough like I do at the moment then I am staying away until it has cleared.

Stomach bugs- forget it! I feel far too weak without proper food and secondly er...imagine losing control of your bodily functions on the treadmill haha!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just get better first. I would suggest that you skip the gym if you are coughing and such. I am def. not a germ aphob, but a couple weeks ago I was next to someone on the treadmill and they were coughing ,hacking phleming and sweating all over,where it was actually flying off them and hitting my treadmill...ewwwww. Best to wait and go when you are feeling a bit better.