Would you give up your passwords to get a job?

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    We officially have no privacy. You can clean up your profiles & pictures to show your employer if necessary. But the worst part about this whole thing is your "friends" & family could be sharing things with their potential employer that invades your privacy. Just another reason to not post stuff on the internet that you don't want everyone in the world to see.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I did work for a small business where the owner's wife "friended" all the employees so that she could monitor what and when they were posting. I would like to add that she was and is a public school teacher and was monitoring her husband's employees on school time. I did not "friend" her and I am no longer working there...I think there might be a correlation there. I loved that my tax money was going to her so that, instead of teaching our children, she could spy on my co-workers. Awesome! I believe that if an employer is so bold as to ask for passwords, you would not want to work for them anyway. These are the kinds of people who view you as their slaves, not valued employees. If you are asked for this information, the best thing to do is to RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If I post something "out there" for anyone to see and a potential employer finds it, fair game.

But what I choose to keep private behind a password is none of their business.

Like others, I'm careful what I put "out there," even stuff that you would have to hack my account or be a "friend" to see. But it's about principle, not about what I have to hide.

You said it, what if your friend apply for a job & gives up their password, your private friend only content is available to view.

And trust me that's what the employers look at to see what kind of people a candidate is associating with to get a better feel on the type of person they are considering.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that recently, too. It's disgusting. Your employment should be based on how qualified you are and competent at a position, not what you do on weekends.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If I post something "out there" for anyone to see and a potential employer finds it, fair game.

But what I choose to keep private behind a password is none of their business.

Like others, I'm careful what I put "out there," even stuff that you would have to hack my account or be a "friend" to see. But it's about principle, not about what I have to hide.

You said it, what if your friend apply for a job & gives up their password, your private friend only content is available to view.

And trust me that's what the employers look at to see what kind of people a candidate is associating with to get a better feel on the type of person they are considering.

If someone else is dumb enough to give up a password, there's not much I can do about that, I suppose. There really isn't anything offensive (to a normal person, anyway) on my FB or MySpace or anywhere, really. But again, the principle. There's a reason you need a password to access that stuff!
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not just NO but HELL NO!!

^THIS^
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Never! I'd shut down my accounts before I'd give them my passwords.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I would never give my passwords up.. and I'm not even sure if I would accept a friend request from hr. All they would find would be pictures of my kids and other lame stuff along those lines. However, as long as my content is private and it is.. they have no business spying on my off hours time. Want to run a background and credit check one me, fine.. need me to pee in a cup, sure. Other than that, you can talk to me directly to find out what kind of person I am.. digging through my house, trash and facebook are off limits.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You know, in years past, a good resume, a good interview and good references always worked for employers finding decent, reliable, qualified candidates. I don't understand why suddenly they need to turn into the CIA just because the technology changed.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for my potential boss's account information and background so I could ensure that he has the character to lead properly and does not have a temper, anger problems or prejudice toward short people.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. It's a violation of privacy and yes, you have an expectation of privacy on the internet, especially in instances where you can selectively "friend' people and choose who has access to your information. However, if your facebook, etc... is set to public, they can see it anyway and should have no reason to ask for your passwords.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    Seems like many companies are now asking for your passwords to Facebook, Twitter.... and even your EMAIL account if you want to have a shot at getting hired. I'm self employed so I don't have that worry, but I think if I needed a job I would still tell them to go to hell.... What's next? Will they ask for keys to your home? Some even make you friend the HR department.

BTW, many companies now hire a company to "stalk" your activity on the internet.... including Sears. Sears claims that it is a bonus for YOU, as they might find out that you are qualified for jobs that you didn't even know you were qualified for..... what a bunch of crap that is. You know they want to see if you're doing jello shots with your clothes off.

I work in Compliance and Investigations for a pretty big company and I have never heard of this. I go to trainings and conferences all over the country where employment practices, personnel recording, and etc are discussed and this is completely new to me. I would be very interested to hear of real life examples of this....to see if it is actually true or just another urban legend. Does anyone know of any documented examples of this actually happening?

As I said. look up Bozeman, Montana. This is NOT urban legend.

And here is a news story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46791850/ns/business-careers/#.T2n-ftUZzfk
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

As I said. look up Bozeman, Montana. This is NOT urban legend.

And here is a news story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46791850/ns/business-careers/#.T2n-ftUZzfk

Yeah, the Bozeman thing is old news, and was very short lived. It was not a company, but a city government, and they quickly retracted the requirement and issued an apology. The news article is more recent, and is very disturbing. I seriously doubt that this could hold up legally when challenged, and will probably lead to some good lawsuits and discrimination claims.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    And this is one reason my husband and I deleted all our social media sites (excpet this one of course) You want my facebook password? Sorry I don't use facebook. Or how about you give me yours first. And yes it is a complete violation of privacy. I would NEVER give out my password because it is none of their business.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    mmm not no but hell no