ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUM-BA!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    jbuffan, I am sorry you did not have a good first experience at your zumba class. A "bad" instructor can really ruin the experience for the new students. When we get licensed to teach, we are taught to use hand signals and not so much verbal instruction so students are able to "feel" the music. I am old school aerobics instructor so I use both and signal the next move before it happens, of course. When I introduce a new move that I think might be hard for some students I try to break it down some before I start the class but I usually just teach it while doing the class. I also show modifications, high and low and with less hip movements so new students can feel more comfortable. As far as beginner classes, there is a class called Zumba Gold, this is geared towards the older students or students who have not been working out for a while or just starting an exercise program. It is supposed to be slower than the regular Zumba class and the instructors usually take more time to teach moves etc. I am not licensed to teach that one but as I mentioned earlier I do teach modifications to accomodate all my students in my class. I have students of all ages and different fitness levels. I can safely say that at least 90% of all my students are satisfied with my classes. I know I cannot please everyone and I know that Zumba is not for everyone, so when a student does not come back I do not take it personal. I would suggest to give it another try with another instructor. Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey Zumba lovers!
    I'm an instructor looking for inspiration: What are your favorite Zumba songs and/or dances? Any warm up or cool down song suggestions? Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

Zumba hugs,
    Renee
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba class 3x a week and come out 500-550cal lighter and feeling absolutely smiley--it's amazing how good exercise can make you feel when you have fun doing it!
    Hey Zumba lovers!
    I'm an instructor looking for inspiration: What are your favorite Zumba songs and/or dances? Any warm up or cool down song suggestions? Thanks in advance for any & all replies.

Zumba hugs,
    Renee

Anything with the reggaeton bounce in it is lots of fun :D
    Love the calypso, too.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I tried my first Zumba class tonight (after hearing about it here last week). It was a REALLY good workout and a lot of fun too! I used to do kickboxing, and I probably came out just as sweaty. I'm going to try to go at least twice a week for now. Thanks so much for the inspiring posts!!!
  • maestrachistosa
    Options
    Hi there, I went for the first time tonight, but since I listen to latin music, I was thrilled to hear some of my favorites!! Not sure when each one was played, but I'm sure you can figure it out depending on the speed etc. My favorites:

Suavemente - Elvis Crespo
    La gota fria - Carlos Vives
    La negra tomasa - (originally by Caifanes, but this version was a remake that was faster and more danceable)

oh...another great song that I used to hear in a salsa dancing glass - Que mala eres by Dark Latin Groove.

Hope that helps!

OK...after posting this I figured out that I meant to "quote" one of the other posts. Sorry for the double post!
  • maestrachistosa
    Options
    Hey Zumba lovers!

Zumba hugs,
    Renee

Hi there, I went for the first time tonight, but since I listen to latin music, I was thrilled to hear some of my favorites!! Not sure when each one was played, but I'm sure you can figure it out depending on the speed etc. My favorites:

Suavemente - Elvis Crespo
    La gota fria - Carlos Vives
    La negra tomasa - (originally by Caifanes, but this version was a remake that was faster and more danceable)

oh...another great song that I used to hear in a salsa dancing glass - Que mala eres by Dark Latin Groove.

Hope that helps!
  • packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    Options
    somigliana: I'm glad to hear you like calypso & raggaeton because my classes seem a little hesitant about these rhythms - maybe it is because we are in Minnesota and it is unnatural to many of us. :)

maestrachistosa: I looked up the songs you suggested on YouTube and they are familiar to me as well. Great music. A lot of other good ideas popped up as suggestions along the YouTube side bar as well so I think I will get some good new songs for my classes. :)

Thank you for your suggestions! Please keep them coming! :)
  • eyh7611
    eyh7611 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!! I do it 4 times a week. You can find zumba videos on youtube.com, just search zumba.
  • keiheath
    keiheath Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba since this past October, and I LOVE IT!!! I didnt know it burned so many calories though. When I plug it in under aerobic dance, its only like 300 calories. What are you logging it in as??? Thanks :wink:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    keihath, I wear a heart rate monitor. Last night I finally remembered :laugh: to turn it on at the beginning of my class and check the numbers when I finished. I burned 485 calories in about 55 minutes!!! I am 5'5" about 130lbs and I consider myself fit for my age, 46yrs, so that gives you an idea...but not everyone burns the same amount.

packerena, for warm ups I use very upbeat songs in english but with a sorta latin beat for example whine up, please dont stop the music and Calabria...cool downs, bachata songs and I have used Bombon asesino, a slow cumbia. I also stretch at the end and have used estoy enamorado, and some instrumental guitar, piano songs...

ZUMBA HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: