Peanut butter

Options
I love eating peanut butter so I want to make the switch to natural peanut butter (yay!!!) So I was wondering if you guys can help me with some good brands to buy. I heard the skippy natural peanut butter is anything but nature so I want to stay away from the fakers! Thanks!

Replies

• FightGirl83
    Options
    If you're in Canada, President's Choice makes a good one. Only ingredient is peanuts, that's all you really need to look for.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ Alarmist post that uses epidemiological studies and studies on rats to make unsupported conclusions. I would avoid the above article.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options

^ Alarmist post that uses epidemiological studies and studies on rats to make unsupported conclusions. I would avoid the above article.

To avoid any information would be less than scientific... It should be investigated further. If we followed your ethic, we'd all still think the earth is flat.
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    I love eating peanut butter so I want to make the switch to natural peanut butter (yay!!!) So I was wondering if you guys can help me with some good brands to buy. I heard the skippy natural peanut butter is anything but nature so I want to stay away from the fakers! Thanks!

I just posted a thing on PB2 on the F&N board. Check it out. My only food endorsement.. LOL
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'll rephrase:

Alarmist post that uses epidemiological studies and studies on rats to make unsupported conclusion. I don't find the information to be accurate and I would caution anyone from making any conclusions about their own diet, or changes to it, based on the contents of the article. But you don't have to avoid the article itself.

Eat your peanuts if you're not allergic and you enjoy the taste of them.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I buy Adam's Peanut Butter. Only has peanuts and salt in there. Very yummy stuff!
  • melr789
    melr789 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    kraft makes natural peanut butter in smooth and crunchy, and most grocery store brands have their own too, just check the label to make sure the only ingredient is peanuts, I live in Canada though.
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I like the way you think!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Skippy Natural is fine. It has added sugar, salt and oil. So, technically, it's not ALL natural, but it doesn't have anything weird or bad in it.

It's my favorite peanut butter by taste and I like it better than the "true" naturals.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the Jif Natural To Go 1.5 oz containers (8 pack) to stash in my desk. I tend to have issues overeating PB (me + jar of PB = trainwreck) so this helps me with portions. That said, I ate 2 containers today. Womp womp. Quite delicious!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you're in Canada, President's Choice makes a good one. Only ingredient is peanuts, that's all you really need to look for.

I would imagine that's not just in Canada since it's the Tops Supermarket generic brand and Tops is based in Buffalo, NY. :-)
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options

PC has the best products. I haven't seen this one but i'll look for it next time. I've checked the Kraft stuff but it's all false advertising. if the oil doesn't come to the top then it's not all natural.

And yes, i eat peanut butter on everything including the spoon right out of the jar.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

That first study cited in the article is also from 1967, and big name-brand peanut butters at least are pretty rigorously tested now for the toxin.

The toxin is actually found in a wide-variety of other nuts, seeds, legumes and grains, and there should be more concern about that *kitten* getting into your dairy products from cow's feed being contaminated (cause no one really tests that stuff). If you have pets, they probably get a good amount of it from pet food too. So I don't understand the peanut scare when the other nuts and seeds you eat probably have some of it too.

Anyway, I use MaraNatha because it's organic and tastes delicious.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I buy marantha almond butter or market pantry if I'm at target. It's really good, just more expensive. And watch how many tablespoons you use, as it's high in fat and calories :)
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I've been buying the Jif Natural To Go 1.5 oz containers (8 pack) to stash in my desk. I tend to have issues overeating PB (me + jar of PB = trainwreck) so this helps me with portions. That said, I ate 2 containers today. Womp womp. Quite delicious!!

This is a very good idea!
  • rml_16
    Options

This is a very good idea!

FYI, Jif Natural is the same ingredients as the Skippy.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    As long as it's american peanut butter, and you read the label and it just says peanuts and maybe oil...wouldn't it all taste the same?

(i know british peanut butter tastes like doo)
  • prose58
    prose58 Posts: 52
    Options

Adam's is a good one.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    The ingredient should only be peanuts, maybe a little salt if that is how you prefer it.