Signs of an increasing metabolism?

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member

That was an interesting read.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    I just read the article on the study. During the starvation phase they ate 1560 calories per day. I would have guessed they would have ate alot less to starve. There are tons of people on here that eat alot less then that.

Healthy young men walking that many miles and burning that number of calories?
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    I just read the article on the study. During the starvation phase they ate 1560 calories per day. I would have guessed they would have ate alot less to starve. There are tons of people on here that eat alot less then that.

Healthy young men walking that many miles and burning that number of calories?

I agree its a deficit, but not the idea of starvation I got before I read the article. You got to remember a skinny young man, probably average of 5'8"(people were shorter back then I beleive reading somewhere) has a bmr of not much more then 1500 to 1600. So yes with the walking (average of about an hour a day @3miles per hour) is definetly going to cause weight loss. Just not what I had pictured as starving lol.

edit-so they were basically eating their bmr and not eating exercise calories back. So this should be a point for people wandering if they should eat back exercise calories or not. Sounds like yes they should :)
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    bump
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    bump for info to site on metabolism info
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Bump to read later.
  • L_amore
    L_amore Posts: 52 Member
    great topic and good feedback.
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    bump
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Love the article about the men in Minnesota! Fascinating.

Starving on 1800 calories a day for 6 months. They look like skeletons at the end.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member

Starving on 1800 calories a day for 6 months. They look like skeletons at the end.

It's a great article isn't it - I'd heard about it before but didn't know the details. I find it amazing that eating 1800 cals/day caused them to lose so much weight and have so many other side effects (loss of libido, poor concentration, irritability etc).
    1800 is about my maintenance cals and it seems like a moderate amount of food - not a lot for a man, but I wouldn't imagine that anyone would starve on those cals.
  • scottc561

It's a great article isn't it - I'd heard about it before but didn't know the details. I find it amazing that eating 1800 cals/day caused them to lose so much weight and have so many other side effects (loss of libido, poor concentration, irritability etc).
    1800 is about my maintenance cals and it seems like a moderate amount of food - not a lot for a man, but I wouldn't imagine that anyone would starve on those cals.

Apparantly some ate less and some more, based on their amount of weight loss. But I agree 1800 or even 1500 doesn't sound like much of a starvation diet. It just puts it into perspective when you see people eating 1000 calories and then exercising on top of that another 500c. (this was an actual poster the other day that stated she was not starving herself).
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    so interesting!

bumperrooo~:happy:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    These were (a) young (b) men who were (c) walking a minimum of 21 miles a week. They probably had mainence levels of 2500 to 3500, so 1800 is a big deficit.
  • scottc561
    These were (a) young (b) men who were (c) walking a minimum of 21 miles a week. They probably had mainence levels of 2500 to 3500, so 1800 is a big deficit.

Their deficit is stated in the article. 2.5lbs per week which is 8750calories, Nothing mind blowing, but since they were already skinny to start with they had drastic effect imo.
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    bump
  • dbenedit
    dbenedit Posts: 9 Member
    I started MFP in early January of this year. My starting weight was 174.5, and I am a 5'8" female. MFP suggested 1200 calories a day. I did that for about a month. Felt HORRIBLE! Lethargic, cranky, stomach-gnawing-on-your-backbone kinda thing. Started reading about BMR and TDEE and immediately bumped up my calories. Also, started eating back my exercise calories, and paying close attention to my macros. And I feel so much better! I'm still losing weight, but not my sanity. I'm in this for the long haul, and THIS I can do for the rest of my life.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,576 Member
    I eat back my exercise calories for the week on the weekends. Guilt free cheat days lol.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    usually not a good sign if ur shaking after eating

It's not uncontrollable shaking, more like fidgeting of which I am only semi-conscious. When I was younger, I remember a woman from my church whose leg would shake all the time in this way and she said it was because she had a high metabolism. I'm just curious to know if anybody knew one way or the other.

Yeah I do this as well and it does burn calories so shake away! I would also agree that it's a sign of increasing metabolism. Congrats on the NSVs.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    If a 150 lb man loses 2.5 pounds a week for 6 months, he's down to 90 lbs and has lost 43% of his initial weight.
  • Amberkr
    Amberkr Posts: 3
    Bump